The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   dead batt-now spinning motor (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2502)

JeffN 01-18-2002 10:26 AM

dead batt-now spinning motor

Anyone ever have their engine just spin like the plugs were removed?

We left itr sit for 10 days, came back to a dead battery, jumped it once and it turned over to the 1st compression stroke with a bad jumper connection, reconnected and it cranked it and it sounds like it has no compession.

All the pulleys turn, crank also but it just spins without any sign of firing or compressing. Very weird, like the whole car.

nvrmore100 01-18-2002 10:42 AM

Thats sort of what happened when my timing belt went. I jumped it thinking that is what kept it from starting. Then it made this nice, free spinning noise. You might want to take off your battery side cover and see if your belt is in tact. Chances are it's fine, but might be worth a shot.

JeffN 01-18-2002 04:54 PM

greaaat

So the local friendly Sube dealer will dx the problem next week. May have some nice parts for sale if I part it out.

svxeno 01-18-2002 10:09 PM

Re: greaaat

Quote:

Originally posted by JeffN
So the local friendly Sube dealer will dx the problem next week. May have some nice parts for sale if I part it out.
Jeffn,

Whoa there pony!!

Timing belts aren't that bad. If it broke there will be no damage to this type of engine.

Randy (Attempting to prevent disaster, could use the parts though :D ) ii

nvrmore100 01-19-2002 12:31 AM

Exactly, hence I wasn't too worried when mine went out on me. :)

Just figured it was worth a home diag before he paid to get it checked out.

JeffN 01-19-2002 07:13 AM

gonzod motor

Thanks for the tips. I'm from the era of Lotused Jensens that made valve/piston salsa when a belt whipped free.

Why would a belt slip just from being started? Could happen I guess.:confused:

Beav 01-19-2002 10:09 AM

Re: gonzod motor

Quote:

That's when the most sudden 'shock' load is placed on the belt - next to an idiot goosing the throttle hard in neutral.

Beav

Aredubjay 01-19-2002 01:41 PM

Re: gonzod motor

Quote:

Thanks for the tips. I'm from the era of Lotused Jensens that made valve/piston salsa when a belt whipped free.

No salsa there, buddy. It's what's known as a "non-interference" engine. No valve/piston contact when the belt breaks. My first experience with this was with my 74 Mercury Capri. When I had the same problem it was diagnosed as the timing "belt." I, of course, had been used to the term "timing chain" and KNEW I was headed for disaster. I think, at the time, the belt cost me 30 bucks and labor was minimal since I had my uncle put it in (he owned a service station). I drove that little car lasted me for 165K before I sold it because of front end problems.

nvrmore100 01-19-2002 02:03 PM

If that does turn out to be the problem...I wrote up a little how-to on my website you might want to use if you feel mechanically inclined.

Total cost for me was about $90 for the belt. You probably want to change out your waterpump and gasket while your in there, it will save you the time later.

JeffN 01-19-2002 02:08 PM

belted

Thanks for all the dope. We did the belt 4 yrs ago and only about 13k miles on it-a Goodyear. The water pump was done then also.

JeffN 01-22-2002 06:23 AM

Good news!

Well, after a long charging, the thing fired up startlingly fast like nothing ever happened. Kinda like a cat who makes that unique moaning howl only when you're not looking at him. That saved a few hundred or thousand I guess. thanks for all the input.

Still want another low mile 95+ LSi if anyone knows of one. I'm gonna go see the green one on ebay today.

Beav 01-22-2002 06:55 AM

I remember my '92 doing that once or twice (in '92.) I have two theories about the cause:

1) I think what might happen is the pressure relief valve in the oil pump hangs, over-pressurizes the lash adjusters and causes a temporary zero compression, until such time elapses that the excess oil in the adjusters can bleed off.

2) When this happened to me I recall the engine having 'burped', kicking back from a misfire while cranking (fairly low ambient temperature.) Taking this into account I can theorize that the sudden burst of rotation causes the oil pump to out flow the relief valve (especially considering the cold, heavy oil) and 'pumping-up' the adjusters. Again, time is necessary to allow drain down and subsequent restoration of compression.

I recall about a 15 - 20 minute waiting period and then the engine starting kind of rough, until all adjusters bled down (10-20 seconds) and then it continued to run, in your words, "like nothing ever happened."

Beav

JeffN 01-22-2002 05:33 PM

valves

Man, gimme dat ol time small block chevy....:D

Beav 01-22-2002 05:36 PM

as far as I'm concerned you can every last one of them :p

Beav

JeffN 01-22-2002 06:41 PM

chev

"I can (have/Have not/melt down & recycle) every last one of them"?