The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why, why WHY! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54498)

davew833 05-10-2010 02:13 PM

Why, why WHY!

So Saturday I'm scouting some parts for my Mom's Benz at the local Pick-n-Pull and I come across a '95 burgundy pearl LS-L. Body and interior in good/very good condition with 141k miles. No wreck damage. So WHY is it in the junkyard? Busted timing belt? Bad tranny? All very addressable issues! Why, why WHY don't these people put an ad on Craigslist for $400- $500 or something rather than 'giving it away' to the junkyard for $150- $200? It's a rhetorical question, but very frustrating... I certainly would have saved this one! (And forget about trying to buy a car OUT of the yard once it goes in...)

ensteele 05-10-2010 06:12 PM

Re: Why, why WHY!

If you are there again, would you please get the VIN? I would like to put it on the registration list. Thanks

Blacky 05-10-2010 07:15 PM

Every SVX I've seen in a junkyard has been because of the transmission. Also they have all been in better general condition than both of mine.
That's why I saved my 2 from the wrecker.

BoxerFanatic 05-10-2010 07:49 PM

sad as hell.

Splinter 05-10-2010 09:30 PM

They probably did try and sell and no one made a move.

There have been several SVXs for sale out my way with broken transmissions, and they sit forever, never sell and end up going to the wrecker.

There just aren't enough SVX fans with the resources to save them all...

But look on the bright side, every one off the road is potentially driving up the value of yours!

davew833 05-10-2010 10:13 PM

I check Craigslist and the other popular online classifieds sites every day for SVX's- If it was listed for sale locally, I never saw it. I don't have an SVX right now, which makes the loss even more painful for me. I had a '95 burgundy pearl which I sold to help finance a house a few years ago- it was just like this one.

Alex-svx 05-10-2010 10:39 PM

Yes its sad to hear these. :( Hope the rest of the svx cars will be take good care of. And not so manny also goes to a WV van. I also think many svx are gone becuse of these. :(

BoxerFanatic 05-11-2010 08:59 AM

Dare I ask, but is it truly that difficult to buy a car out of a junk-yard? (theoretically, I am not actually in a position to try it)

If it were a parts horse, that a lot of people are after, I can somewhat understand... but do SVXs really produce that much demand and revenue to a breaker, that they won't entertain a decent offer for the whole car?

dcarrb 05-11-2010 09:21 AM

When the cost of a needed repair exceeds the assumed market value of the car, the car is liable to end up in a junkyard. Unfortunate, particularly in the case of an SVX, but a simple and timeworn economic reality.

I'd be surprised if a salvage operator wouldn't accept a reasonable offer on a "whole" SVX, unless maybe they're planning to part the car on eBay.

dcb

Bonestock 05-12-2010 08:33 AM

Well think of it this way... its at a pick & pull, so you can get a bunch of spares fairly cheap.