The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   maybe if i kick it... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3007)

srmifer 03-05-2002 08:39 PM

maybe if i kick it...

just kiddin...anyways, i'm taking my car into the shop tomorrow. it's getting new front brakes, but i'm having them take a look at my electrical too. i don't have a clue what it is...i've heard you guys talk about an alternator mod...i've seen a picture of it...but is there like a written document describing the process? it makes life much easier for me if things are written down. :) my battery i just put in, i stole from the toyota is under a year old...and my svx drains that one too. i'm glad i have a charger, or it'd be dead in two days. it's fully charged in the morning b/c i charge it overnight...and later in the day, it's got half charge. i think it's the alternator...so we'll see. anyone ever hear a rattle like sound coming from the frontish area of the car when they accelerate? i don't have a clue what it is...oh, also, pulled the resistor out tonight...thing just pops right out after you push the little clip part in...it shifts like it has some guts to it now! it's not as harsh as i thought it would be, but it's just enough to say 'hello, i'm shifting now!' :D

Green1995SVX 03-05-2002 08:57 PM

Try checking the wiring to the sunvisors. They tend to strip and rub together in the 'joints' where the sunvisors move down and up. This is a common cause of a battery drain in the SVX.

-Mike

Green1995SVX 03-05-2002 08:59 PM

The 'rattle' could be your resonator or some exhaust heat shields. Check those out.

-Mike

Seraph 03-05-2002 09:22 PM

Take a volt meter and check the output from the alternator. It should be around 14v. If you don't get that then you might need to replace that. Also check out that short under the visor.

As for the rattle, if it is from the resonator, chop it off and straight pipe it.

Lwin

Aredubjay 03-05-2002 10:00 PM

Something else you might check -- do you get a hum from your ABS box after turning off the car? If so, the relay needs to be pulled,then, replaced.

Loose heat shields, or gravel in the heat shields often causes the rattle somewhere around the Y-pipes, if that's where your sound is coming from.

You may do a search for the "Wiring Upgrade" or "Wiring Mod" to get written instructions. I believe they've been written somewhere here before. If not, go to the "archive" button up top and do a search there. It's been well documented over the life of the two (Yahoo/Network) boards.

BoominSVX 09-23-2002 11:41 PM

Sorry to reopen the thread

I just have a question. I ran into a fellow svxer here in mass at Papa Gino's. I opened her hood to see the difference in cleanliness (naturally I was mint next to her), but when I listened closer, I heard a solid clicking humm out of the abs box. Does she need a new abs relay? If so, where can I find it? Thanks guys, just trying to help a fellow svx driver out. :D

Aredubjay 09-23-2002 11:59 PM

Re: Sorry to reopen the thread

Quote:

Originally posted by BoominSVX
I just have a question. I ran into a fellow svxer here in mass at Papa Gino's. I opened her hood to see the difference in cleanliness (naturally I was mint next to her), but when I listened closer, I heard a solid clicking humm out of the abs box. Does she need a new abs relay? If so, where can I find it? Thanks guys, just trying to help a fellow svx driver out. :D
If the engine was off, and the relay was clicking, yes, she needs a new relay. However, until you get one, just tap on the box with the butt of a screwdriver to stop it. Otherwise, it'll run down the battery.

Here are the relays http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...ategory=267-A2

Green1995SVX 09-24-2002 12:29 AM

Re: Re: Sorry to reopen the thread

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

butt of a screwdriver

:eek: