The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   O/T Beater car. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3759)

Green1995SVX 04-20-2002 09:04 PM

O/T Beater car.

Well, I seem to have the beater (grand cherokee) running well now. Although, it still has some valve clatter when i first start it up. I think I'll replace the oil pump soon, see what happens. I hope I can bring myself to drive it so that I can keep miles off the svx. We'll see if that lasts. I snapped some pics of it and stuck them in my locker.

-Mike

Earthworm 04-20-2002 09:28 PM

I believe my Justy would be considered a beater car. Anyone want to share their opinion as to what they consider a beater?

My points:
1. < $1000
2. only purpose is to get you from A to B (commuter)
3. getting it fixed is not very tempting at all anymore
4. you WILL be the last owner

Anyone have anything to add/remove from this list?

Green1995SVX 04-20-2002 10:08 PM

maybe 'daily car' is a better description.

-Mike

mb92svx 04-21-2002 03:24 AM

other name for "beater car"

Hi,

Beater Car might be misconstrued..... I like to call them RAT BOXES! There can be no doubt at all when you tell people that you are driving a RAT BOX!

htyei 04-21-2002 04:58 AM

mines a 1994 Hyundai excel
add the following.

door lock might or might not work, but you dont even lock the door anymore :)

svxeno 04-21-2002 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
I believe my Justy would be considered a beater car. Anyone want to share their opinion as to what they consider a beater?

My points:
1. < $1000
2. only purpose is to get you from A to B (commuter)
3. getting it fixed is not very tempting at all anymore
4. you WILL be the last owner

Anyone have anything to add/remove from this list?

Additional points:

1. Won't take it to class reunion
2. Girlfriend won't ride in it during the daytime
3. Smells like someone elses used car
4. Rust and rattles just add to the styling points
5. Your friends ALWAYS offer to drive

Randy (Has owned my share of beaters) ii

Beav 04-21-2002 08:11 AM

If it's valued at over a $1000 it's an "Urban Assault Vehicle". :)

249SVX 04-21-2002 06:37 PM

and..

You can burn the really cheap gas and only have to fill the tank once a week.

Ron Mummert 04-21-2002 08:08 PM

More criteria:

- It was last washed in 1999.
- You need to check your registration to see what color it is.
- You change the oil when the oil light comes on.
- The color of the tranny fluid & coolant are a perfect match.
- It has 4 tires, none of which are necessarily the same brand.
- You use a leaf blower to clean out the interior.
- The headliner is held in place with push-pins.
- The only thing kept in the glovebox is duct tape.
- You keep it because it has a functioning cup holder & you're
ashamed that Goodwill would reject it as a donation.

I loved cars like these.

Ron.

nubs 04-21-2002 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX

-Mike

Hey Mike, I agree with you on the daily car name for what you drive. Some people would be glad to have a vehicle like yours as their only car.:) My current daily driver is also more than a beater car, actually it is only a small step below my SVX.

vzSvx 04-21-2002 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX

-Mike

Yeah, my 'daily car' makes me look like a soccer mom :( 1994 Dodge Caravan SE. It runs great, cheaper to maintain and I only drive it for grocery shopping, and during my dress down days :) It's my back-up car to get me from point A to point B when SVX needs to be fixed.

Crusader 04-21-2002 10:20 PM

What are you guys talking about "daily car" ??
I drive my SVX everyday and it has never given me a problem, it is my "winter car" and I kinda like it too much to give up for the summer. So now it is my all the time car and my Fiero which was intended for a "summer car" is becoming a garage car... go figure

greg 04-21-2002 11:21 PM

I love my "BEATER"

Here's a good laugh....
One day I was driving along and I look to my right and I see a dream: A 1984 4wd subaru GL. It is only slightly rusy but the engine runs great! Of course it is a station wagon... I stop to see if it is for sale...The guy says NO at first then after a secon he changes his mind...I ask how much...He says $500. I look to my dismay and I only have $300....About 7 minutesand $300 later I am driving home in what I like to call "HELGA"
When I got her they were introducing the Outback, and I did want one but with the SVX and all I could not afford both... So I brought Helga to the paint shop and had her painted to look just like an Outback! I have now had her about 5 years and I love her more everyday (she has had one oil change since I got her) She is TRUSTWORTHY and all the other things mentioned that a beater is! I will have to keep her forever (she already has over 200,000 miles on her:D )

Now THATS A BEATER!
Thanks for letting me share!
-G

Mr. Pockets 04-22-2002 07:48 AM

Re: I love my "BEATER"

Quote:

Originally posted by SVX'in
Here's a good laugh....
One day I was driving along and I look to my right and I see a dream: A 1984 4wd subaru GL. It is only slightly rusy but the engine runs great! Of course it is a station wagon... I stop to see if it is for sale...The guy says NO at first then after a secon he changes his mind...I ask how much...He says $500. I look to my dismay and I only have $300....About 7 minutesand $300 later I am driving home in what I like to call "HELGA"
When I got her they were introducing the Outback, and I did want one but with the SVX and all I could not afford both... So I brought Helga to the paint shop and had her painted to look just like an Outback! I have now had her about 5 years and I love her more everyday (she has had one oil change since I got her) She is TRUSTWORTHY and all the other things mentioned that a beater is! I will have to keep her forever (she already has over 200,000 miles on her:D )

Now THATS A BEATER!
Thanks for letting me share!
-G

Oh, now that's a good idea. I think I'll paint my Justy in Outback colors! :P

We need to see pictures of this beast!

Green1995SVX 04-22-2002 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK... I went thru my pics. I found this REAL beater from the Carlisle Sport Compact Show last year. I knew taking a pic of it would come in handy some day :)

-Mike