The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   European Forum (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Hot Starting/Cutting Out/Running Issue (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57483)

Darren 06-03-2011 03:32 AM

Hot Starting/Cutting Out/Running Issue

Hiya guys,

I've got an issue I wonder if anyone else has come across?

After a run and I stop the car and try to restart it it will hardly run and needs the throttle pedal pumping to keep it going and will not rev at all, the cat temp warning light comes on very quickly then all off a sudden is clears and revs no problems then drives fine. It has also done it a couple of times when slowing up to a junction or stopping, it cuts out and the above issue.

On a couple of occasions recently it has misfired, lost power and cut out while driving and then the same starting issues.
The other issue the last few times has been sometimes it will not start from cold, it seems to run on one bank very badly then cuts out and is impossible to get going, other times it starts on the button and runs perfectly.

I am in 2 minds if it's a sensor or a fuel starvation issue.

Just be handy if anyone can shed some light if they know of the problem before I go down the route of trying to diagnose different options and ripping my hair out :confused:.

Cheers
Darren

Cam 06-03-2011 08:22 AM

Re: Hot Starting/Cutting Out/Running Issue

Kind of sounds like it could be a faulty maf. I would maybe start there. Is there anyone in the area that would allow you to swap a maf with them for a short test drive?

kuritsa 06-03-2011 02:39 PM

I would agree with the MAF issue. Maybe a clean would help. Also, I have a suspicion it may be the coolant sensor. The big one which connects to the engine management system. I had a similar problem, when you mentioned cold start problems it struck home. Easy to change, not too expensive and my problem solved.

Hope you get it running well soon.

Cam 06-03-2011 03:52 PM

You can thoroughly test the cts with an ohm-meter. I have described before, recently. Look through my posts and you will find the specs.

oab_au 06-04-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren (Post 678311)
Hiya guys,

I've got an issue I wonder if anyone else has come across?

After a run and I stop the car and try to restart it it will hardly run and needs the throttle pedal pumping to keep it going and will not rev at all, the cat temp warning light comes on very quickly then all off a sudden is clears and revs no problems then drives fine. It has also done it a couple of times when slowing up to a junction or stopping, it cuts out and the above issue.

On a couple of occasions recently it has misfired, lost power and cut out while driving and then the same starting issues.
The other issue the last few times has been sometimes it will not start from cold, it seems to run on one bank very badly then cuts out and is impossible to get going, other times it starts on the button and runs perfectly.

I am in 2 minds if it's a sensor or a fuel starvation issue.

Just be handy if anyone can shed some light if they know of the problem before I go down the route of trying to diagnose different options and ripping my hair out :confused:.

Cheers
Darren

Darren what is this light. ", the cat temp warning light ?

It could be a problem with the cam position sensor, low magnetic field, gets weaker with heat and slow engine speeds.

Harvey.

b3lha 06-05-2011 03:01 AM

JDM cars have temperature sensors in the catalysts and a warning light for when they get too hot.

I thought catalyst overheating was normally due to unburnt fuel getting in there. ie. Misfiring or running much too rich. All the suggestions above sound plausible.

My suggestion is to get someone with a laptop and cable to log the ECU data and look for any abnormality in the sensor readings. eg. If the coolant temp says 0 when it's actually 70 C. Or the MAF reading 50g/s at idle. That way you don't waste time and money replacing things that might not be faulty.

If you're in the Uxbridge area any time soon, come to my place and we'll plug in my laptop and compare all the sensor reading between your car and mine.

Darren 06-28-2012 04:06 PM

Hiya guys,

Just an update as I hate reading threads with no ending to a problem :-)

It turned out it was only the cam sensor!

Nearly a 1000 miles in the past 6 weeks and everything is as good a new.