The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Losing my day job... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48350)

Mike621 12-30-2008 06:49 PM

Losing my day job...

This morning, I woke up and rushed to work like any other day at the glass shop. I was informed that today would be the last day we would be operating normally out of the shop. They are shutting it down indefinitely and everyone is being transferred to other stores.

Ive been given two choices.

Drive to Freehold for work. (Over an hour each way) and remain at the same low hourly rate.

or

Take a severance pay of two weeks and leave next week.

I was completely blindsided. I guess I'll be looking for work and spending more time at All We'll Drive.

Wikedjuggalo 12-30-2008 07:01 PM

Re: Losing my day job...

That sucks. I having two weeks off would give you time to find another job and etc?
Are you losing the job or just getting moved?

Mike621 12-30-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 579878)
That sucks. I having two weeks off would give you time to find another job and etc?
Are you losing the job or just getting moved?

I was given the choice of increasing my commute to 51 miles each way or getting a two week severance.:(

SUBBYRU89 12-30-2008 07:25 PM

I thought you knew that there were going to be major changes?

That's why I never applied and decided to to do the schooling thing...now I work at the mental hospital (never ending supply :D)

Sucks this happened, but it should lead to better things.

Good luck and I'll see you this weekend:)

Mike621 12-30-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUBBYRU89 (Post 579883)
I thought you knew that there were going to be major changes?

That's why I never applied and decided to to do the schooling thing...now I work at the mental hospital (never ending supply :D)

Sucks this happened, but it should lead to better things.

Good luck and I'll see you this weekend:)

The branch consolidations were done a few months back. I thought we were in the clear, but we had territory and accounts that our parent company wanted so we were shut down.

See you there.

Blacky 12-30-2008 08:00 PM

I commuted 74 miles each way for 2 years. The money was good but it's not worth it. Gas, wasted time, wear/tear, risk of accident all add up. I now am self employed and rarely work more than 5 miles from home.
You'll find something better close to home.

subi-crosser 12-30-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike621 (Post 579889)
The branch consolidations were done a few months back. I thought we were in the clear, but we had territory and accounts that our parent company wanted so we were shut down.

See you there.

Take the money and run! When a company leaves employees it looks good on the application. That means that you were not FIRED!!

Good Luck with your search!

Most people that are looking for a job and are un-employed are doing it because they can't KEEP a job!

If you sign up for unemployment, it looks WORSE than if you look for work before the first check is cut! A GOOD employee is HARD to FIND!

Walk into a company that you WANT to work for and convince them that they NEED you more than you need them!
Better things are waiting!

Ownbot 12-30-2008 10:11 PM

whenever one door closes another one always opens:D
Stay hopefull

ensteele 12-31-2008 12:16 AM

Good luck. This can turn out for the better. Keep your chin up. :) YOU have some really good skills, and I am sure someone out there needs them.

YourConfused 12-31-2008 01:21 AM

I got to keep my job w/ a cut in pay, loss of PTO, no overtime and no shift coverage. All in all it is still better than no job at all, but still kinda sucks.

but as others said, as one door closes another opens...

So I wish you the best in it all.

JaySVX 12-31-2008 06:29 AM

That sucks Mike, I'm sorry to hear it. Still, you seemed underappriciated there anyways. Land yourself where you can do what you really want, and get paid well to do so.

subeman90 12-31-2008 09:20 AM

can you get unemployment then? i hope so.

Sorry to hear dude.

Tim 01-01-2009 12:16 PM

Sorry to hear Mike. I might think taking the Freehold route may be best while searching for a new job. That will at least buy you more time than the two weeks of severence.

subi-crosser 01-01-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 579923)
I got to keep my job w/ a cut in pay, loss of PTO, no overtime and no shift coverage. All in all it is still better than no job at all, but still kinda sucks.

but as others said, as one door closes another opens...

So I wish you the best in it all.

Confused,
MY last 'promotion' resulted in a $12,000 pay CUT!!

I used to get all the work I wanted at a lower pay scale, now I make more but OVERTIME is all GONE!!

After 6 years of 'living off the overtime', I now have to deal with 40 hours!

Sorry Mike!! Don't want to steal your thread.

Things are tough all over!!

Best of luck in your search..

Then again, might just be the time to go ALL OUT on the 'evening job'..

Mike621 01-01-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 580088)
Sorry to hear Mike. I might think taking the Freehold route may be best while searching for a new job. That will at least buy you more time than the two weeks of severence.

Tim,

Moving my work to Freehold would result in

A) An increase of mileage on my SVX from 315-350 per week to 660-700miles driven per week! :eek:

B) Due to the longer commute I would not be able to make it to any of my evening classes for college. :(

C) I would have even less time to devote to All We'll Drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser (Post 580109)
Confused,
MY last 'promotion' resulted in a $12,000 pay CUT!!

I used to get all the work I wanted at a lower pay scale, now I make more but OVERTIME is all GONE!!

After 6 years of 'living off the overtime', I now have to deal with 40 hours!

Sorry Mike!! Don't want to steal your thread.

Things are tough all over!!

Best of luck in your search..

Then again, might just be the time to go ALL OUT on the 'evening job'..

Jerry,

My favorite conflict is when during the same conversation, I was told by my district manager that I should becoming in at 7:30 daily, and leaving at 5, but to "watch my hours" because we aren't supposed to be getting overtime. :lol:

Idiocy.

I'm going to be making some calls over the next business days to see if I can come up with something else, and I will be filing for unemployment once I am told what my last day will be (I am told it will be sometime next week most likely. They have already shut the shop down, but I have to be there until the phones are re-routed to a neighboring shop and the sign is taken down.)