The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Headlights: stock, silverstar, HID (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24042)

Alcyone SVX LSL 01-24-2005 05:24 PM

Headlights: stock, silverstar, HID

This pic gives you a good idea of different options for headlights.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil..._LSL/24234.JPG

That would be stock on the left, Silverstar in the middle, and HID on the right.

Must admit for the bucks the silverstars sure are a nice upgrade.

ensteele 01-24-2005 05:41 PM

Anything besides the stock lights are a good upgrade! :)

Alcyone SVX LSL 01-24-2005 05:45 PM

Very true Earl. :D Just wanted to show people how much of a difference it is.

fait_svx 01-24-2005 05:47 PM

Thats amazing, those silverstars are every bit as bright as the HID's. Where could I get a set?

deruvian 01-24-2005 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by fait_svx
Thats amazing, those silverstars are every bit as bright as the HID's. Where could I get a set?
That's funny... About six months ago, when I said, "Silverstars kick ass," no one seemed to care. Now there's all this fuss. :rolleyes:

A picture really does say a thousand words! And, apparently, a thousand words is a lot better than my short phrase. :( ;) :D

You can get Silverstars at any autoparts store. You can probably find them for dirt cheap on eBay, too. Be sure to do the 9006 > 9005 mod, though. The beam pattern will be much more similar to HID, and will also be almost 2.5 times brighter.

I'm running 9005 Sylvania Cool Blues in the low beam slot, 9005 Sylvania Silverstars in the high beam slot, and PIAA Ion Crystal H3 bulbs for the fogs. Very nice setup. The Cool Blues have a very slight blue tint to them, and look very very similar to HID when used during the day. You can definitely tell the difference at night, but you will be with the Silverstars, too. The advantage of the Cool Blues is that they are cheaper than the Silverstars, but just as bright (when using the 9005 bulb). The Silverstars are also completely white, when, as I said before, the Cool Blues have a very slight blue tint... The closest thing I can relate it to is the HID bulbs in the Lexus RX SUV thingy.

When I bought my Silverstars in-store, I paid $44 for the pair. When I bought my Cool Blues on eBay, I paid $10. Remember, the 9005 bulbs have a little less than half the life of the 9006... So, if you're buying 9005 bulbs, you may as well buy the more inexpensive ones that still kick ass. Once you do the 9006 > 9005 conversion, you'll never go back.

And don't be afraid to buy pre-opened packages of bulbs. Just use some rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to clean the bulbs until they squeak (to get the skin oils off from some retard that probably rubbed the bulbs all over their body).

Alcyone SVX LSL 01-24-2005 06:32 PM

I have had silverstars in my car for a year now both low beam bulbs burt out within the same week right around the year mark...i did find that odd but i dont think 40 bucks a year would even bother me on little bit for the extra light they provide. I have them in every hole i could stick them in.:D

Ciscokid 01-24-2005 07:36 PM

Man...you would think we were on S+M.net and not the SVX net while reading this thread. What is up?? :D

Quote:

Originally posted by deruvian

And don't be afraid to buy pre-opened packages of bulbs. Just use some rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to get the skin oils off from some retard that probably rubbed the bulbs all over their body.

Quote:

Originally posted by Alcyone SVX LSL
I have them in every hole i could stick them in.:D

SVX-FF 01-24-2005 08:06 PM

Quote:

I have had silverstars in my car for a year now both low beam bulbs burt out within the same week right around the year mark...i did find that odd but i dont think 40 bucks a year would even bother me on little bit for the extra light they provide. I have them in every hole i could stick them in.:D
Mine did the same thing. I first lost the left side then about a week later the right one. Darn thing are to expencive to replace every year.
Has anyone else had this same problem?:confused:

Steve

AFBeefcake 01-24-2005 08:21 PM

should try street glow bulbs I get them for about $25.00 with shipping a set.

low beams are 80 watts
hight beams are 100 watts

ssnsltd 01-24-2005 08:22 PM

other headlight thread

deruvian 01-24-2005 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVX-FF

Mine did the same thing. I first lost the left side then about a week later the right one. Darn thing are to expencive to replace every year.
Has anyone else had this same problem?:confused:

Steve

It's not a problem... They're light bulbs, man! They're little tiny filaments of metal that are superheated both for and by surrounding gases (halogen). They burn out eventually. Did you expect them to last all eternity?

Alcyone SVX LSL 01-25-2005 06:11 AM

i agree what is 40 bucks? one meal out for me and my cutie... That sure isnt much money for a years worth of light;)

PhatWeasel 01-25-2005 08:25 AM

Silverstars

Quote:

Originally posted by fait_svx
Where could I get a set?
Wal-Mart, one pair of 9005s is $38 vs. $48 at Checker/Schucks/Kragen/Northern

SVX-FF 01-25-2005 07:17 PM

Quote:

i agree what is 40 bucks? one meal out for me and my cutie... That sure isnt much money for a years worth of light;)
It is two cases of diapers to me. I switched to the Wagner TruView. They have a slight purple tint. Not to bad and about 5 to 10 bucks cheaper. I just use to light lasting longer than that. Like 3 years.

Steve

Bwana 01-25-2005 09:14 PM

I put the Silverstars in a month or so ago. I'm still amazed when i turn them on...so bright...so white. :D