The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Proven Engine Enhancements (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   New Overheating Clue (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43901)

Dessertrunner 03-30-2008 02:28 AM

Okay plugged in the temp guages and the results surprised me, hope fully we can all put are head together to find an improved way to cool the engine.
- Air temp was 20 C
- Started the car and the engine temp went up to about 80 C while the radiator stayed at around 40 C (lowest reading on guage).
- After 10 minutes driving the engine moved to 94 C and the radiator moved to 80 C.
- Pushed the car a bit and the engine moved to 100 C and the radiator moved to 95 C then back to 80 C (I think the fans turnned on but can't be sure)

So there it, is the current design doesn't have a lot of spare cooling I think it is more about getting the air past the radiator and transfering the heat.

Suggestion ideas greatly appricated.
Tony

subbieatnz 03-30-2008 02:56 AM

i wonder if this is the same prob i got with my 92 JDM SVX. the last owner told me it had over heatting problems. ive started it and let it run for 30mins and it didnt over heat. i did notice that the raditor would had over flowed some time. the water marks were all ova the raditor etc

svx_commuter 03-30-2008 06:01 AM

I like the swirl pot!
Great way to have a place for air to collect.

Keeping the front wheels up on ramps help vent the system too.

Take care,

John

shotgunslade 03-30-2008 08:05 AM

Trevor:
Quote:

We should be talking on this over a beer.
Next time I'm in New Zealand, you're on. Not a big hops fan, so I'm not partial to bitters or India Pale Ale. Tend toward Belgian brews, Corsedonk, or Chimay. Also like a good Hefeweisen. Until, then drink in good health.

Dan

Tim 03-30-2008 12:37 PM

How many of you guys run with front license plates? I noticed that since I've been running without a front plate and underbody skidplate, it takes a little bit longer for the car to get the tranny into operating temperature, so I imagine the extra airflow to the radiator must be doing something for me.

Trevor 03-30-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgunslade (Post 538008)
Trevor:

Next time I'm in New Zealand, you're on. Not a big hops fan, so I'm not partial to bitters or India Pale Ale. Tend toward Belgian brews, Corsedonk, or Chimay. Also like a good Hefeweisen. Until, then drink in good health.

Dan

No problem Dan,

How about a tour around a few vineyards, we are not too bad in the world of wine markets. :)

Trevor 03-30-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgunslade (Post 538008)
Trevor:

Dan

No problem Dan,

How about a tour around a few vineyards, we are not too bad in the world wine markets. :)

See you, Trevor. ;)

Dessertrunner 03-31-2008 04:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of photos that I have taken of the difference in temp between the Radiator and the engine. From what I learn't today the most important is air flow past the radiator. The first photo driving at slow speed around the street (40kph) then in the second photo shows the radiator at lower temp when travelling at100k for about 10min
This is why people need to be carful before fitting electric pumps, SVX have a different type of cooling system to most other cars and its easy to overheat the engine if you don't know what you are doing.
Guage on the left is Radiator one on right is engine.

IdeasMan 03-31-2008 01:27 PM

Different? How So?

Desertrunner please enlighten us on what makes the SVX's cooling system different from the normal average car's.

SVXRide 03-31-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdeasMan (Post 538216)
Desertrunner please enlighten us on what makes the SVX's cooling system different from the normal average car's.

check the earlier posts in this thread...he's referring to the way the coolant will recycle in the block.
-Bill

Dessertrunner 03-31-2008 02:41 PM

If you look back you will see I posted the respective pages from the SVX manual.
What happens that is different from most other engines is that the engine cooling system and heater and water pump are all in one loop. The heater is always on as it is part of the cooling loop. The radiator and thermostat are only called on (opened) if the engine temp goes above 80C and this new cooler water is mixed with the return water from the engine cooling loop (heater). The water comig from the radiator can be what ever temp as its just a energy sink. This morning on the way to work the radiator water was 60c but the engine was 90C air temp was 7C.
If the radiator fails to provide cooling water that can keep the engine water tempreture under 95C then the cooling fans turn on in an attempt to drop the tempreture of the radiator water. The fans will also turn on at slow speeds I think below 20 and above 10 kph.
What is real clear is that the most critical issue is to get air past the radiator the hottest my car runs is at speeds below 50kph not 200kph.
Hope that helps.
Tony

IdeasMan 03-31-2008 04:40 PM

Sorry Tony, I couldn't find that posting. Could you post a link to it?
I think I see what you're saying, though I'm not positive. Could you post a diagram?

Dessertrunner 03-31-2008 05:27 PM

Sorry it was in the other forum
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=43222&page=3
Tony

Roo 04-01-2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 537407)
Bob had a great idea for filling the system. A large(tall) funnel in the cap of the radiator and a lot of patience to make sure all bubbles are out. Once the bubbles stop, leave the funnel in and start the car and let it get to running temp so the thermostat has a chance to open. Once no more coolant is allowed to get in, remove the funnel (a drip pan and quick hands are a must here) and replace the cap. top off the resevoir and allow the car to run with the cap on and take it for a 20 min drive. Bring it back in, let it cool completely. Remove the cap and add fluid as needed.

Tom

Or, you could simply spend $26 and get this. No mess, no quick hands, and my Subaru mechanic uses it all the time.

Tim 04-01-2008 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roo (Post 538318)
Or, you could simply spend $26 and get this. No mess, no quick hands, and my Subaru mechanic uses it all the time.

That's what i use for changing out the coolant and it works like a charm :)