The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   inoperative turn signals (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59796)

dcarrb 05-07-2012 06:09 AM

inoperative turn signals

Yesterday and today, the first time I attempted to signal a turn, the signal did not work. Checked the other direction and got the same result: no blink, no nothing. Curiously, both days, at the very next turn and for the duration of the trip, the signal worked. Hazard flashers appear to function normally.

Seems reasonable to assume the switch is failing. Any other explanation?
Does anyone know if the entire multi-switch assembly must be replaced, or are there "user-serviceable" parts inside? Thanks,

dcb

pearlm30 05-07-2012 08:53 AM

Re: inoperative turn signals

Do you have reverse/backing up light? If not, check the fuse under driver dash.

dannmarr 05-07-2012 09:14 AM

Check the bulbs. My turn signal lights go out when the truck slams and the bulbs get loose or break.

dcarrb 05-07-2012 10:03 AM

I don't believe I'd be experiencing intermittent operation if it were a blown anything.

dcb

kwren 05-07-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 703973)
I don't believe I'd be experiencing intermittent operation if it were a blown anything.

dcb

I hate to interject logic here, but could it be the flasher unit itself:confused:

Keith:cool:

Crazy_pilot 05-07-2012 12:11 PM

Start by turning all your lights on and walking around the car. If only the headlights work and everything else is out then it's the fuse under the dash. If everything work fine then move on to replacing the flasher relay.

dcarrb 05-07-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 703975)
I hate to interject logic here, but could it be the flasher unit itself:confused:

Actually, that's a good question, and that's why I immediately hit the hazard button, thinking the hazard and directionals operate off the same flasher. (Do they?)

My heart sank a bit when the hazards worked, and my worst-case brain immediately concluded: It's the switch.

I'd definitely replace the flasher before resorting to drastic measures. Now, where under the dash is the thing?

dcb

kwren 05-07-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 703980)
Actually, that's a good question, and that's why I immediately hit the hazard button, thinking the hazard and directionals operate off the same flasher. (Do they?)

dcb

I think they do... I only took a few seconds to take a look at the schematic, but It sure looks like it. Will check farther...
Keith

dcarrb 05-07-2012 12:39 PM

Also, I had it in mind that when a flasher relay fails, the indicator illuminates, it just doesn't blink.

Worked fine today when I ran out for lunch.

Thanks,
dcb

kwren 05-07-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 703981)
I think they do... I only took a few seconds to take a look at the schematic, but It sure looks like it. Will check farther...
Keith

Yes they do! But... there is a separate flashing system going to the turn signals than the one to the flashers incorporated in that flashing unit. It is all in the same unit!

Which means... the flashing unit has electrical power to it. Which means that the flashing unit is defective, if we discount the possibility that the combination switch is defective. I personally would discount that possibility, considering the current flow level in the circuit.

Good luck!

huck369 05-08-2012 05:04 AM

The Flasher is mounted either underneath the column, or right next to the column, as I broke one in my first 5-speed swap when I dropped the column....

dcarrb 05-09-2012 11:21 AM

Picked up a new flasher today (<$12.00 @ O'Reilly Auto Parts). Of course, since my first post, the thing has worked perfectly. She's messin' with me again.

Will report back if the problem persists. Thanks again to all.

dcb

huck369 05-09-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 704075)
Picked up a new flasher today (<$12.00 @ O'Reilly Auto Parts). Of course, since my first post, the thing has worked perfectly. She's messin' with me again.

Will report back if the problem persists. Thanks again to all.

dcb

It takes an electronic flasher, not the same as all the other Subarus of that era, so they might have sold you the wrong one....so let us know if it works.

dcarrb 05-09-2012 01:24 PM

They gave me a rectangular unit of the sort that comes to mind when one thinks of a relay; not the cylindrical gizmo I recall replacing in some car years ago. We'll see.

dcb

92 SVX 05-09-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 704085)
They gave me a rectangular unit of the sort that comes to mind when one thinks of a relay; not the cylindrical gizmo I recall replacing in some car years ago. We'll see.

dcb

The electrical leads on this car are reversed compared to most other cars if you plug it in and nothing works it is most likely the wrong one. I had this trouble on mine when I switched to a led friendly flasher I couldnt get the correct one so I just rewired the plug.