The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   duty solenoid c (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42873)

JLHollowX13 01-19-2008 11:54 AM

duty solenoid c

so my awd isnt working, and the tranny is giving me code 24 as a previous code which doesnt make sense to me. the only code im getting when i do current codes is 33 (my speedo doesnt work). does solenoid c control the awd at all, if i replace it will it solve my problem? how much for the part and where is it available? how hard is it to replace as i wouldnt want a shop touching my baby haha. i dont trust anyone but myself with most things. thanks for any help, i just need to get my awd back online.

one more thing, since im getting code 24 as a "previous" problem, could it just be the clutch not working correctly? if so, how much could i be looking at there? is there anything else it could be?

crazyhorse 01-19-2008 01:42 PM

Your AWD takes it's cues from the VSS, which also drives your speedometer. I'd lay odds, that if you fix your VSS you'll fix your AWD.

JLHollowX13 01-19-2008 03:25 PM

update

i was just outside working on it. i changed the rear diff fluid (black!) just cuz i knew it was way over due. since i had it jacked up i went ahead and test the awd. the rear wheels turned, SLOWLY, even when i gave it a little gas. i had someone hold the rear wheels at idle and while i gave it gas and they were able to hold the rear wheels still with no problem. after shutting it off i turned each rear wheel, and i understood that if you turn one wheel on a differential, the other wheel should turn also, but mine didnt. the opposite wheel sat still. could my differential possibly be out? i checked codes again and i dont think my duty solenoid c is at fault, its hasnt been showing up at all in current codes. only the VSS.

any help would be very appreciated

svxfiles 01-19-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 (Post 522320)
i turned each rear wheel, and i understood that if you turn one wheel on a differential, the other wheel should turn also, but mine didnt. the opposite wheel sat still. could my differential possibly be out?

On an SVX the rear differential is a viscous fluid type.
It does not have clutches like a typical limited slip rear differential.
If you have it up in the air again, and spin one wheel REALLY REALLY FASt, the other side should spin the same direction.
And, no, thats not your problem.

crazyhorse 01-19-2008 04:57 PM

My reccollection is that with an LSD when you turn one wheel the other SHOULD turn backward. You should be able to hold one wheel with some initial resistance, while turning the other.

I'm sure one of the Gurus will back me up on the VSS causing your AWD woes.

svxfiles 01-19-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorse (Post 522327)
My reccollection is that with an LSD when you turn one wheel the other SHOULD turn backward. You should be able to hold one wheel with some initial resistance, while turning the other.

I'm sure one of the Gurus will back me up on the VSS causing your AWD woes.

With a limited slip rear they should turn the same way.
With an open diff, if the driveshaft is held still the other wheel will turn the opposite way.

svxfiles 01-19-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 (Post 522320)
since i had it jacked up i went ahead and test the awd. the rear wheels turned, SLOWLY, even when i gave it a little gas. i had someone hold the rear wheels at idle and while i gave it gas and they were able to hold the rear wheels still with no problem.

If it were working properly you could have killed them.:(

svxfiles 01-19-2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 (Post 522275)
so my awd isnt working, and the tranny is giving me code 24 as a previous code which doesnt make sense to me. the only code im getting when i do current codes is 33 (my speedo doesnt work).

There are two speedo sensors on an AWD 4EAT.
The one at the rear of the trans tells the computer about the rear wheel speed.
The front one sends a signal about front wheel speed to the speedometer as well as the CPU in the TCU.
You need both speed sensors working for proper AWD.
like crazyhorse said.:)

JLHollowX13 01-20-2008 08:53 AM

thanks everyone. im getting a used speed sensor soon, so as soon as i get it its going in and the test is on again. hopefully that fixes my problem, i dont want anymore things on my list of to-dos for this car, its pretty long as it is haha. and expensive not to mention. but im hoping to God that changing that will solve my problem!