The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   new tranny problems (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9164)

Alycone 03-06-2003 02:47 PM

new tranny problems

I think my transmission's going. It was fine a week ago, but for the past 2 days it surges and complains going into third and slips into 4th. But the tranny was rebuilt about 9,000mi ago (I've owned it for half of that), which seems really early for it to have trouble. The previous owner had it rebuilt by AAMCO, which might not be top quality, at least there's a warranty.

Incidentally, this started right after I had my oil changed, that couldn't have anything to do with it, could it? Is there a chance it's something other than the tranny?

Sigh. I don't think I can afford a new trans every 10k.:(

svxistentialist 03-06-2003 04:35 PM

It would be sensible to check the oil level.

Too little in there, the box won't drive.

Too much, can create pressures and problems, maybe even blow some out the filler pipe.

You probably know the drill. Drive it at speeds more than 12 mph. Put in Park. Leave ticking over. Dip it while engine ticking over.

If they have put too much in, drive it back to the shop[AAMCO?] pronto, and tell them you think they overfilled the tranny and caused the problem.

Joe

LarryIII 03-06-2003 05:09 PM

Sometimes they pull the WRONG plug when they drain the oil, they actually drain the ATF. Check your ATF level MMEDIATELY. Also, check your oil level it might be overfull.

Alycone 03-07-2003 02:34 AM

Fluid levels fine, but the tran fluid seems a tad darker than it was a month ago.

If my tranny gets rebuilt, is there anything I can do to make it last longer than this one? I've heard stuff about making sure the whole thing is flushed out and that an external filter might be a good idea.

svx_commuter 03-07-2003 10:50 AM

I think that since you had the trans rebuilt and the fluid is getting dark there is a problem. Unless you have been beating the hech out of the trans and really causing the fluid to break down.

There is an external filter on the trans and maybe it has plugged up causing the fluid to over heat.

subafan 03-07-2003 11:41 AM

you're in washington no? so wouldn't smallcar be somewhat close to you? probably get a consulation from them about what to do with your tranny!

Mr. Pockets 03-07-2003 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
Sometimes they pull the WRONG plug when they drain the oil, they actually drain the ATF. Check your ATF level MMEDIATELY. Also, check your oil level it might be overfull.
That actually happened to my SVX at a Subaru dealership, of all places. I took it in for an oil change and they drained the friggin' front diff.

So, if you don't change your own oil, make sure you remind them about the three drain plugs.

Subafreak 03-07-2003 05:47 PM

I noticed my fluid getting dark suddenly about a week before the front diff blew up. Keep an eye on the diff fluid.

P.S. It dosn't have to be ticking when you check it. He. He. Ticking

Alycone 03-08-2003 09:31 PM

Well, AAMCO is replacing under warranty with only mild grumpiness. I'll be svxless for several days, but at least I'm not paying for it this time.

Earthworm 03-08-2003 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alycone
Well, AAMCO is replacing under warranty with only mild grumpiness. I'll be svxless for several days, but at least I'm not paying for it this time.
You'd think AAMCO would realize they can't really fix the SVX tranny. Oh well...gotta give them credit for trying.

Alycone 03-08-2003 11:17 PM

Yeah, my car's former owner made the AAMCO decision, sigh.

hotshoe50 03-10-2003 08:14 AM

AAMCO

For whatever its worth, AAMCO did a complete rebuild of mine and it is absolutely flawless!!!

That said it did cost $3500 cdn which included a cooler and the R&R but that was still pretty expensive.

Remember if you make $50,000usd doing your job at home and the same job in Canada would probably pay $50,000 cdn per year so the exchange comparison doesn't really work...

I am going to have AAMCO do the synchros on my MitsuVR4 because the tech that they have is very, very good and THAT is what makes the difference!!!

Hotshoe