The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Locked in park!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6285)

Landshark 10-05-2002 05:11 AM

Locked in park!!!

the Mrs. and I came out of a restaurant the other night (in the rain, of course) and the damn shift lock wouldn't work. no problem, i thought, i'll pop the litttle cover and undo the shift-lock manually. well, that little screwdriver that comes with the car is a P.O.S., and i ended up pretty much strippng the screw - it must have been torqued to 150 ft-lbs! i couldn't even have the car towed because it was stuck in park :mad: :mad: :mad: i got a ride home and checked the archives of this site. i found a post where Huck said to check the horn/brake lights fuse, because the shift-lock is also on that circuit. went back to the car and, sure enough, it was blown. i popped in a new fuse, and away i went!

i'd like to remind everyone to keep a spare 25A fuse handy, and to check their shift-lock override access screw to make sure it can be removed. luckily, i was close to home - this could have been ugly. THANKS, HUCK!!!

BTW, has anyone used that Craftsman device to remove stripped screws? work good?

Green1995SVX 10-05-2002 06:30 AM

Times like that you wish you had a 92, dont you? They just have a button to press for the shift lock.

I bought those screw removers from craftsman... havent used them yet though...

Mike

mohrds 10-05-2002 07:23 AM

<<BTW, has anyone used that Craftsman device to remove stripped screws? work good?>>

I would recomend going straight to the Sears drill / extractor series. They are a little more expensive but they work every time. I have the Model 52155 and that has four sizes that cover most small size screws and bolts.

Good Luck.

Doug

Landshark 10-05-2002 10:41 AM

thanks, Doug - i'll check those out. you'd think that screw would be easier to get out considering it would be used in an emergency situation. jeez...

so why did the design on this change from easy to impossible to override?

Seraph 10-05-2002 10:46 AM

On the fuse box cover, there are extra holes for extra fuses. I had a blown fuse for my camera/clock/ AC controls, cig lighter curcuit at doug's house. I had it replaced within minutes.

Lwin

mohrds 10-05-2002 11:34 AM

<<so why did the design on this change from easy to impossible to override?>>

This is just a guess, but probably the same reason they got rid of the auto up feature on the window. Kids were probably able to press the shift button and roll the car into the street.

Doug

Seraph 10-05-2002 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds
[B Kids were probably able to press the shift button and roll the car into the street.
Doug [/B]
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gcookaustin 10-05-2002 12:35 PM

My shift lock is still working only intermittently. I've found that if it does not initially work, that if I slap the side of the console then it seems to wake up and will let me shift out of park. Does that mean a loose wire or something?

Seraph 10-05-2002 12:51 PM

I can't remeber about the 92s anymore but on the 94s, there is a shift lock module underneather the shifter.

Lwin

Landshark 10-05-2002 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph
On the fuse box cover, there are extra holes for extra fuses. I had a blown fuse for my camera/clock/ AC controls, cig lighter curcuit at doug's house. I had it replaced within minutes.

Lwin

i've always kept a nice fuse assortment in all my cars (glovebox). have to get some for the WRX - it takes those little tiny ones :mad: