The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wipers on car OFF (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3766)

svx_commuter 04-21-2002 02:52 PM

Wipers on car OFF

Last Friday I was on the way home and got lost in Patterson in a hail storm. I pulled under a bridge and turned off my car cause I didn't want to be out in the hail. I was listening to the radio and had left the key in the accessory position. To my surprise, the wipers cleaned off the window, front and rear:eek: Oh no my car is broken again:eek:

Well then I realized it's supposed to do this. What a great feature. I never had a car that did this before. I started thinking about all the times I waited in the rain for someone and could not see unless the engine was on. Also rainy soccor games with the car running.

Do other cars do this?

gcookaustin 04-21-2002 04:50 PM

That's odd the wipers will work in the ACC position, but in my SVX the car has to be ON for any of the headlights to work?

svx_commuter 04-21-2002 06:11 PM

Yes the car has to be on for the lights to come on but not the wipers. I like it;) Can't leave my lights on when I turn off the car and park it and I can see out when it's raining:)

gcookaustin 04-21-2002 07:36 PM

Isn't it kind of "unsafe" for the lights to only come on if the car is turned to on? :confused:

Ron Mummert 04-21-2002 08:52 PM

Why would you want the lights on if the car weren't running? I thought it was a welcomed stoke of genius to finally prevent a battery meltdown due to lights mistakenly left on. You still have the parking light "ON" switch plus the hazard flashers to give the car visability in an emergency. I think in the event of a nighttime catastrophic failure (timing belt bye-bye), the lights would remain on
unless you had the presence of mind to kill the ignition.
Ron.

gcookaustin 04-21-2002 09:06 PM

I wish the interior lights would turn themselves off automatically; more than a few times already I've almost gone off for a long time after forgetting to turn them off...what is it about cars that they assume you want to run the battery down? At least have a timer or something else to recognize when the battery is starting to run down and just cut them off.

Ron Mummert 04-21-2002 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gcookaustin
I wish the interior lights would turn themselves off automatically; more than a few times already I've almost gone off for a long time after forgetting to turn them off...what is it about cars that they assume you want to run the battery down? At least have a timer or something else to recognize when the battery is starting to run down and just cut them off.
I'll agree with you on that one. Any accessory that can drain a battery should have an auto-shutoff mechanism. Why not an auto cancellation for turn signals after 30 seconds or so? Too radical, I guess.
Ron.