The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Electrical GURU's.... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28685)

GreenMarine 09-29-2005 05:43 PM

Electrical GURU's....

What would cause my (Dash Lights) Battery, Oil, ABS, ect lights to come on and STAY on while driving down the road??? This kinda worries me... I had that electrical short a while ago and that fried the alternator.... So I replaced the alternator, but those lights came on today and they won't go off... They do, however, go off when I take my key out of the ignition... Any suggestions on what it could be???

SVXRide 09-29-2005 05:55 PM

Chris,
check back where the fire was...I'm guessing you've got a wire(s) shorting
-Bill

GreenMarine 09-29-2005 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide
Chris,
check back where the fire was...I'm guessing you've got a wire(s) shorting
-Bill

Hmmmm..... yea, that would explain it.... I will do that tomorrow when I am in Charlotte.... Hopefully I'll find it before the Challenge on Saturday... I'll take my tools with me... They may come in handy :rolleyes:

oab_au 09-29-2005 06:25 PM

Hi Chris.

Check the ground at the rear of the engine, that runs to the firewall under the ignitor block. It is the ground to frame for the engine. Might have been a bit burnt up too.

Harvey. ;)

Earthworm 09-29-2005 06:32 PM

Also make sure the alternator is securely plugged in.

Get a volt meter to plug into the lighter (that actually shows volts). This will tell you what the alternator is doing.

GreenMarine 10-02-2005 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au
Check the ground at the rear of the engine, that runs to the firewall under the ignitor block. It is the ground to frame for the engine. Might have been a bit burnt up too.

Harvey. ;)

Rodger that.... Thanks, I'll check this as soon as I get the chance to get back out there :)

benebob 10-03-2005 06:54 AM

Had you're alternator not been charging enough you wouldn't have made it home. Now, it could be overcharging which means DO NOT DRIVE IT YOU'LL FRY SOMETHING 13.2 volts at about 2k is what you're looking for out of her any more is worse than under 12. I'd go along with the wire as Bill said since you did jiggle it around a bit but if you bought a reman alt or if the rebuilder had over 50% of his teeth I wouldn't be suprised if that was the culprit.

oab_au 10-03-2005 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
Had you're alternator not been charging enough you wouldn't have made it home. Now, it could be overcharging which means DO NOT DRIVE IT YOU'LL FRY SOMETHING 13.2 volts at about 2k is what you're looking for out of her any more is worse than under 12. I'd go along with the wire as Bill said since you did jiggle it around a bit but if you bought a reman alt or if the rebuilder had over 50% of his teeth I wouldn't be suprised if that was the culprit.

It is not as bad as that, the reg voltage will get to 14.7 volts maximum. If the reg fails completly, there is a 15/16 volt Zenier Diode built in there to limit the voltage to prevent the frying smell. :D

Harvey. ;)

kuoh 10-03-2005 05:48 PM

My original SVX alternator went out in the middle of a late night drive, and the warnings lights came on and stayed on. The new alternator charges at about 14.1V for a minute or two after startup, then levels off to 13.3-13.7V at normal highway cruising. Many automotive devices are designed to tolerate voltages up to 14.5V, but are mainly designed to run between 13-14V.

KuoH