The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Removal of Fuel Injectors (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24716)

SVXRide 02-25-2005 09:25 PM

Removal of Fuel Injectors

Does anyone have any advice (constructive, that is!;) ) on removing the fuel injectors from the fuel rail? I've removed the little half caps that hold them in place and I've checked my shop manual so I know they've got two o-rings sealing them into the "buckets" in the fuel rail. I just don't want to possibly chew up the plastic top trying to pull them out.
Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
-Bill
p.s. my plan is to send them off to a FI shop to have them blue printed/rebuilt/flowed, so we'll have actual test results for how well they flow

mbtoloczko 02-26-2005 10:39 AM

Re: Removal of Fuel Injectors

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
Does anyone have any advice (constructive, that is!;) ) on removing the fuel injectors from the fuel rail? I've removed the little half caps that hold them in place and I've checked my shop manual so I know they've got two o-rings sealing them into the "buckets" in the fuel rail. I just don't want to possibly chew up the plastic top trying to pull them out.
Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
-Bill
p.s. my plan is to send them off to a FI shop to have them blue printed/rebuilt/flowed, so we'll have actual test results for how well they flow

I thought it was a quarter of a turn to remove them. Hmm.

So, are you sending them to RC Engineering? I've been wanting to do that for a long long time. Looking forward to seeing the result.

SVXRide 02-26-2005 11:54 AM

Re: Re: Removal of Fuel Injectors

Quote:

Originally posted by mbtoloczko

I thought it was a quarter of a turn to remove them. Hmm.

So, are you sending them to RC Engineering? I've been wanting to do that for a long long time. Looking forward to seeing the result.

Nope, they'll just keep rotating due to the o-rings. I keep looking at the tops and I'm guessing there is a special tool that hooks into the openings and allows you to gently pull the injector out.

I think I'm going to use Accurate Injector Service (www.accurateis.com/) in Arizona. Good price and I've been emailing the owner, who's a Subaru fan!

-Bill

Chiketkd 02-26-2005 05:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Removal of Fuel Injectors

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
Nope, they'll just keep rotating due to the o-rings. I keep looking at the tops and I'm guessing there is a special tool that hooks into the openings and allows you to gently pull the injector out.

I think I'm going to use Accurate Injector Service (www.accurateis.com/) in Arizona. Good price and I've been emailing the owner, who's a Subaru fan!

-Bill

The things you are able to do with an extra week! ;)

-Chike

SVXRide 02-26-2005 08:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Removal of Fuel Injectors

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd

The things you are able to do with an extra week! ;)

-Chike

Keeps me out of trouble (or, gets me into more trouble in the future;) )
-Bill

immortal_suby 02-28-2005 06:35 PM

I've pulled them out a few times with just a twist and a large flat bladed screwdriver gently prying on the plastic part.

SVXRide 02-28-2005 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
I've pulled them out a few times with just a twist and a large flat bladed screwdriver gently prying on the plastic part.
Matt,
Where exactly do you pry on the plastic part?
Thanks.
-Bill
p.s. I checked out a Q45 site (their fuel injectors are the same as ours - basically - except they flow 370 cc) and the consensus appears to be to grap the injector with bent nose vise grips - firmly, but not so much as to crack the plastic - and pry against the vise grip with a screwdriver while pulling up on the vise grip. Think I'm going to try to fabricate a tool to act as an extractor....

Ron Mummert 02-28-2005 08:31 PM

I checked out a Q45 site (their fuel injectors are the same as ours - basically - except they flow 370 cc) and the consensus appears to be to grap the injector with bent nose vise grips - firmly, but not so much as to crack the plastic - and pry against the vise grip with a screwdriver while pulling up on the vise grip. Think I'm going to try to fabricate a tool to act as an extractor.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Perhaps you could contact a dentist, Bill. Should be cheap, as there's no novacaine to worry about.

Glad to be of help.

Ron.

SVXRide 03-01-2005 03:57 AM

Ron,
Good advice, as always! I was thinking that a "box-o-wine" would also help the process:D
-Bill

immortal_suby 03-01-2005 05:53 PM

Turn the injector sideways so the part of the red plastic connector that you plug into is pointing towards the front of the car, then using a large screwdriver pry underneath it against the fuel rail.

SVXRide 03-02-2005 09:28 AM

Matt,
thanks
-Bill

mbtoloczko 05-10-2005 09:39 AM

Hey Bill,

Did you get the fuel injectors cleaned yet? If so, did they give you the before/after flow rates for each injector?

SVXRide 05-10-2005 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Hey Bill,

Did you get the fuel injectors cleaned yet? If so, did they give you the before/after flow rates for each injector?

Mychailo,
Not yet. I decided to fab an injector puller and my machinist has been swamped lately. I'm hoping to have the puller done in a week and the injectors off to be cleaned/rebuilt/flowed by the end of the month. I'll let you know as soon as I've got data! :cool:
-Bill

mbtoloczko 05-10-2005 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide
Mychailo,
Not yet. I decided to fab an injector puller and my machinist has been swamped lately. I'm hoping to have the puller done in a week and the injectors off to be cleaned/rebuilt/flowed by the end of the month. I'll let you know as soon as I've got data! :cool:
-Bill

I spoke with Bill at Accurate Injector Service this morning. Very nice guy. I guess I'll "Bill's" are nice guys, eh? :-)) Anyhow, he said that for $25/injector, not only will he clean and flow test the injectors at 43 psi, but he'll also flow test the injectors at two other pressures. With that info, we can get a pretty good map of injector flow vs fuel pressure. Should put to rest any uncertainties about the flow capacity of the OEM injectors and how they will respond to increases in fuel pressure. I'll help make up the extra cost if you want to do the additional service.

SVXRide 05-10-2005 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
I spoke with Bill at Accurate Injector Service this morning. Very nice guy. I guess I'll "Bill's" are nice guys, eh? :-)) Anyhow, he said that for $25/injector, not only will he clean and flow test the injectors at 43 psi, but he'll also flow test the injectors at two other pressures. With that info, we can get a pretty good map of injector flow vs fuel pressure. Should put to rest any uncertainties about the flow capacity of the OEM injectors and how they will respond to increases in fuel pressure. I'll help make up the extra cost if you want to do the additional service.

Mychailo,
Maybe we can work a deal :D :cool:
-Bill