The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   front half shfts (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50924)

waltweems 07-11-2009 05:31 AM

front half shfts

1992 SVX. I need to replace the front half shafts and boots and need help with a procedure from someone who has done this.

Walt

huck369 07-11-2009 05:42 AM

Re: front half shfts

It's pretty simple.

1. Jack up car
2. Remove Wheel
3. Remove Axle Nut (have to pop out the retaining "Dimple" in the nut)
4. Drive out roll pin from inner CV Joint by Tranny (3/16" roll pin punch recommended)
5. Either A: unbolt the 3 bolts holding the ball joint to the lower control arm
....OR.....B: unbolt the 2 strut to knuckle bolts (mark the bolt heads to re-install the same way to save your alignment)
6. Swing the now loose knuckle out enough to get it off the outer end of the axle.
7. Pull the axle off the tranny stub

Reverse to install the new one...be sure to have the hole in the inner CV lined up with the hole in the tranny stub for the roll pin.

After you've done a few, they can be done in about 20 minutes

Hope this helped...

svxfiles 07-11-2009 06:19 AM

Welcome to the group, Walt!:)
If you would like to meet some other SVXers, we have some small get togethers just outside of Cumberland MD.
There is one coming up at the end of this month.
(Old) Tom

ShiuludeSVX 07-11-2009 08:18 AM

There is a "How To" in the links at the top right of this page.

I followed the instructions, and it went rather well for me.

Welcome to the site. There's lots of help, and good information here.

kwren 07-11-2009 11:22 PM

loosen the axle nut at the beginning of the project, not after you jack it up and remove the wheel. After the car is jacked up and the wheel removed might just be a bit difficult.

Also... I would recommend both sides on jack-stands with wedges under the rear wheels as a safety precaution.

Also... There is a right and wrong way to drive the pin out.

Also... there is a right way and a wrong way to slip the cv shaft back on... and... to drive the drift pin back in. Care needs to be taken to put the new one on like the old one came off, not 180 degrees out of phase.

Good luck!

Keith:cool:

huck369 07-12-2009 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 609201)
loosen the axle nut at the beginning of the project, not after you jack it up and remove the wheel. After the car is jacked up and the wheel removed might just be a bit difficult.

Also... There is a right and wrong way to drive the pin out.

l:

You can take the nut loose after the wheel is off, just stick a screw driver in the fins of the rotor, and let it rest against the caliper to keep the hub from turning.

And the roll pin will drive out from either side, though the "dimpled" side is the one you should drive it out (and in) from.

waltweems 07-12-2009 02:07 PM

:)Thanks to all for the advise on the half shafts. I got both out in about 2 hours. Not bad for the first time.

Walt

svxistentialist 07-12-2009 02:21 PM

Good going Walt. :) Job well done. ;)

You are very welcome to the Network BTW, nice to have you here. :)

Give us some detail on your car, and some pics if you have them.

Joe :)