The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Someone diagnose my cars symptoms (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34579)

EdfromSF 08-05-2006 12:49 PM

Someone diagnose my cars symptoms

Hey everyone i am taking my SVX in for a tune-up, 120,000 miles service on monday would love some advise. Here are the the symptoms:

Sometimes when i driving along it just dies on me.:confused:

Sometimes i have my foot on the throttle and it feels like the car is Hiccupping.:confused:

Sometimes when i have the cruise control on it is is driving along fine then all of a sudden acts like it can not find the right gear to stay in.:confused:

When my car is idling it is around 1500-2000rpm in Park or Neutrul but goes down to under 1000rpm when it is stoped in any of the driving gears.:confused:

But all the time despite all these issues i LOVE this car. It is smooth, comfortable, powerful and just feels a hella of a lot more solid then my 94 Legacy.:D

Thxs alot everyone.

My car http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Ed

Manarius 08-05-2006 03:30 PM

My Legacy had that problem. It turned out to be the MAF.

GreenMarine 08-05-2006 06:01 PM

MAF.... TPS..... Anything else that could cause that sort of acting up??

EdfromSF 08-05-2006 06:31 PM

What is a MAF, TPS.

Thxs

Ed

DarknessofDeath 08-05-2006 06:36 PM

MAF = mass air flow sensor
TPS = throttle position sensor

It's Just Eric 08-05-2006 07:24 PM

The mass airflow sensor is extreamly easy to change, so its worth trying. Its the square looking thing with a plug on it right next to the air filter box. It comes off with 4 10mm bolts. I theres anyone in the area you could borrow their MAF for the day to see if it fixes the problem, thatd be a great and easy way to diagnose the problem. If theres nobody remotely nearby / willing to let you use their part for a day, you can buy a used but working maf for about...Im going to say 60$, rough guess.
Good luck

Earthworm 08-07-2006 11:18 AM

You could also have a bad coil or even something as simple as loose bolts on the intake manifold.

DreamingOfSpeed 08-07-2006 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdfromSF
When my car is idling it is around 1500-2000rpm in Park or Neutrul but goes down to under 1000rpm when it is stoped in any of the driving gears.:confused:
Ed

Mine's been doing this since i bought it a year ago, i thought it was normal. it is normal isnt it??? :o

Yoda3000 08-07-2006 09:12 PM

Congrats on the new car! I had my eye on that one on ebay, it's a beauty.

Umm, as far as the rpm thing, I think that's normal. As long as the car doesn't stall or die when you shift into gear, the rpms should be lower in gear.

As far as it dying while you're driving, my car only ever did that once. It was strange. I attributed it to the dying alternator I had to replace a month or so later.

Electrical probelms suck, and are sometimes impossible to trace. Good luck!

NikFu S. 08-07-2006 09:17 PM

Um, before you go swapping your MAF get some MAF cleaner from an auto parts store. I've used some recently and it seems to have done something.
I wouldn't be surprised if it might run better if it has never been cleaned in +100k miles.

billb 08-12-2006 05:16 AM

I had this problem and it was the MAF. I replaced many things before I found a used MAF. Cleaning my old one never helped.

EdfromSF 08-20-2006 12:40 AM

Ok thxs everyone for the advice. I cleaned out my MAF twice and it does not seem to be doing it as often but it is still doing it. Was wondering if it might be something else and if it is what it could be. Any advice would be great help.

Thxs

Ed

billb 08-20-2006 05:43 AM

I really think it's the MAF. I fought this same problem for several months. I tried:
1. Changing all plugs and coils
2. Completely cleaning the throttle body
3. Cleaning IAC
4. Replacing crank position sensor
5. Fuel filter
6. Air filter
I cleaned the MAF several times. I used vinegar, throttle body cleaner, vinegar again. Sometimes I thought the problem was better, but then it would come back. Finally I replace the MAF and success.

Put a "MAF Wanted" post on here. You should be able to get one.

I avoided changing the MAF until the end because I thought I had to buy a new one.