The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Were these cars built to be crap? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30436)

TomsSVX 12-24-2005 08:41 AM

Also, have you checked the TPS voltage at idle?? Should be at .5v. Might want to replace the MAF with one that actually works.... If you are getting this fed up, sell it to someone else and buy a honda and let me know how much you hate your life after that. Your car i 14 yrs old. You need to take care of it at all times... My 92 LS-L has 128k on the clock and runs like a top

Tom

wawazat?? 12-24-2005 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RojoRocket
BINGO!! Give that man a cigar!

Glenn

Thanks Glen :)

I'll pass on the stogie however. They always make me feel a little green the next day. How about a fine gin or maybe a Merlot?:)

Todd

calisvx 12-26-2005 02:14 AM

what size hose goes on these cars for the vacuum lines where can i buy them ? kragen ? auto zone?

Ricochet 12-26-2005 07:03 AM

No I haven't but I looked and they all seem alright.. I guess air can still leak through a seemingly good rubber hose though. Thanks for the replies.

mbtoloczko 12-26-2005 10:32 AM

Some of the vacuum hoses not under the intake manifold may seem fine, but I guarantee that the ones under the intake manifold will be hard as rock and/or cracking. The engine block and the intake manifold work together to bake everything down there better than a Betty Crocker oven. :-))) Its a chore to get under there to replace the hoses, but that may be what's neeeded. Before diving into replacing the vacuum lines, I'd first verify that the TPS and the MAF (and probably other sensors) are working properly. Have you pulled the engine codes yet?
BTW, I just looked at pics of your car in your locker. Your engine looks brand new! How many miles are on it?

dannmarr 12-26-2005 09:22 PM

I second that, that is the cleanest SVX engine I have ever seen!!!

Ricochet 12-27-2005 12:05 AM

thanks.. I bought it with 85k, has 89k now

Electrophil 12-27-2005 01:21 AM

Everything that's ever tore up on one of my SVX's, I tore it up. Except the tranny on the 94... Now that turkey went south mostly for being a cold climate designed car living in a blazing hot desert. No one did the tranny filter, and at the time, I didn't know there was a problem with them and the heat.

When it comes right down to it, they are pretty dog gone dependable as long as a person keeps the hotrodding to a minimum.:)

dcarrb 12-27-2005 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrophil
When it comes right down to it, they are pretty dog gone dependable as long as a person keeps the hotrodding to a minimum.:)

I agree. My car needed typical maintenance items when I bought it, but since then, in 30,000+ miles, the only surprises have been a wobbly crank pulley, a balky coolant temp sensor, and a dead battery. Only the latter left me walking. (Knocking on wood...)

dcb

Chiketkd 12-27-2005 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
BTW, I just looked at pics of your car in your locker. Your engine looks brand new! How many miles are on it?

Agreed! Cleanest SVX engine I've seen to date!!!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...chet/28554.jpg

-Chike

James Scott 12-28-2005 07:18 AM

Intake Manifold Leak...???

After getting my SVX back (almost $4000!) from a head gasket job...with some replacements thrown in...like water pump, knock sensors, etc........
I pulled into my garage about 2 to 3 weeks later...and THE IDLE WAS IRRATIC AND VARIED A COUPLE HUNDRED RPM! Took a peek..to find out the mechanic (actually his flunky trainee, who he sublet labor out to...even tho I was paying $85/hour!)..had overtightened the intake manifold bolts (holding the mod phenolic spacers I also opted for at this time)....CRUSHING THE TOP GASKET (Outlaw Engineering constructs their phenolic spacers with gaskets top and bottom now!) of the phenolic spacer....ALLOWING AIR TO SEEP IN (UNDETECTED BY ELECTRONIC CONTROLS) CAUSING A LEAN CONDITION....AND ERRATIC IDLING! :mad:

Maybe this could be part of your problem? Torque bolts to 7 to 14 ft-lbs to insure proper sealing....(Beav says low torque figure is for old bolts...so, 7 ft-lbs for old bolts ..and 14 ft-lbs for new bolts (as with Outlaw Eng. phenolic spacers) :D

Clydesvx 12-30-2005 11:05 AM

I don't know about you guys, but I use wd-40 to check for vacuum leaks. If the idle increases when I spray the hose it's a good indication that there is a leak. I've found the same works for gaskets.

ensteele 12-30-2005 11:23 AM

I don't know how good the WD-40 is on the hoses though. Doesn't it affect them adversely? I guess it wouldn't matter if you were going to replace them anyway. :)

ensteele 12-30-2005 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Agreed! Cleanest SVX engine I've seen to date!!!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...chet/28554.jpg

-Chike

Does this car ever get driven? :eek: :eek: :eek: That is impressive. :)

Clydesvx 12-30-2005 11:28 AM

I only use the WD-40 when I suspect a problem. It worked well on my
'69 SS396 Chevelle. I was always replacing vacuum lines on that.