The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   fuel guage (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26731)

Matthewmongan 06-11-2005 05:53 PM

fuel guage

i know it's common on many svx's but is the fouling fuel guage caused by the guage itself or somewhare else?

Earthworm 06-11-2005 06:15 PM

I believe it's the sending unit.

Mine never had the problem though.

bwb3 02-08-2006 11:58 AM

Do all SVX's have screwy fuel guages?

When the fuel guage on my '94 hits E, it takes 10.5 gallons to fill up. I know there's another 8 gallons in there. Yesterday I took the '92 garage queen in for it's first fill up. 10.5 gallons. What's up here? I didn't wait for any warning lights. Does it just sit on E for along time?

Hangtownsvx 02-08-2006 01:12 PM

It has been surmised based on other Subaru products that the problem is corrosion in the sending unit. For many of us it falls in the too hard basket to really verify and fix.

Earthworm 02-08-2006 01:39 PM

Mine started out like that when I bought it. Over the next few fills I would go further and further until it started reading accurate. It's almost as though the sending unit needed to go through its entire range to recalibrate itself.

That's my answer and I'm sticking with it :D

bwb3 02-08-2006 02:53 PM

Maybe it doesn't understand the U.S. gallon?

thundering02 02-09-2006 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Mine started out like that when I bought it. Over the next few fills I would go further and further until it started reading accurate. It's almost as though the sending unit needed to go through its entire range to recalibrate itself.

That's my answer and I'm sticking with it :D

Same here really...I normally started to fill up around 250 miles (13ish gallons) and it slowly started to read for that to be empty but after a few long trips it will reguage to the more appropite 16ish gallons

dcarrb 02-09-2006 05:37 AM

My fuel gauge is off, too, always reading 3-4 gallons less than actual. It's consistent, though, so it's an inconsenquential issue. Still, I wouldn't press my luck and drive around with the low-fuel light burning based on that assumption.

dcb

ShiuludeSVX 02-09-2006 08:29 AM

Fuel Gauge not right

This came up on the Yahoo pages some time ago.

After heavy testing {and a lot of taking chances} it was found that, no matter what you get from the gauge, you can count on about another 15 miles once the light comes on.

Even without this in mind, a lot of us have tried to gauge the actual trip of the average SVX.

That turned out to be right at 375 miles before the light comes on, and somewhere around 390 to run the tank dry.
The gauge actually stands on it's head right about there.

I have run mine from slam full {in the neck} to 382 miles before gettin the heeby geebies, and just HAD to fill it up.

BUT. My gauge never got any better. So.

There ya go.

msvx95 02-09-2006 10:01 AM

What's your exact problem with the fuel gage...just the quick to E 'normal' reading? My legacy gage sometimes would just drop down to E and then below even with a full tank, but that was found to be a very corroded battery connection which I cleaned and everything was back to normal.