The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   What a week. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17044)

Seraph 03-08-2004 11:56 PM

What a week.

I mean last week, the weekend and tonight.

I got everything running for my client and such. Mastered a whole new deployment system and yet I could not figure out why my DNS server was not running correctly.

I just figured it out. A biggest brain fart of all. It must be true. If you do fix cars for a living, chances are most of your cars will not run correctly. Same thing in the computer business. :rolleyes:

I'll fix the rest tomorrow. What a night.

Earthworm 03-16-2004 09:13 PM

So did you find the problem with your DNS server?

I'm learning that 2003 Enterprise Server does not like being behind a NAT firewall!

Seraph 03-16-2004 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
So did you find the problem with your DNS server?

I'm learning that 2003 Enterprise Server does not like being behind a NAT firewall!

Yepp I fixed it. I had 2 NICs in the machine and I was screwing up the addresses.

Funny thing is 2k3 ES if you tell it to automatically set it up as a first server, it'll hide itself behind it's own NAT. It took me a while to figure out why my webserver was not pingable and not showing up while I can still surf the net from the server.

Earthworm 03-20-2004 09:26 PM

I did not choose the First Server option. I'm going to slowly have it take over the duties of my old server. It's still going to sit behind a NAT gateway provided by another computer.

The one thing I've noticed 2k3 ES doing that I don't like is it's trying to update the DNS records for my domain. I did not tell it to do this and I haven't found a way to turn this off yet.

Seraph 03-20-2004 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
I did not choose the First Server option. I'm going to slowly have it take over the duties of my old server. It's still going to sit behind a NAT gateway provided by another computer.

The one thing I've noticed 2k3 ES doing that I don't like is it's trying to update the DNS records for my domain. I did not tell it to do this and I haven't found a way to turn this off yet.

Right click and say don't do it. but if you have NICs in there, it'll update its IP. The rest of the machines' IP on the DNS list will be left alone.

MNYPNNY 03-21-2004 02:55 PM

You guys are speaking another language..... :D

Landshark 03-21-2004 04:56 PM

jargon is cool.

Earthworm 03-23-2004 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph
Right click and say don't do it. but if you have NICs in there, it'll update its IP. The rest of the machines' IP on the DNS list will be left alone.
I've already turned off the DNS updates in TCP/IP. I'm not sure if it's causing my current problem but sometimes authentication can take forever (minutes) and other times it's instant. Even access to local resources can take forever while it waites for access rights. There is no CPU or HDD load on either computer while this is going on.

I'm still learning as I go though.

Seraph 03-23-2004 09:20 PM

That's odd. It happens in a blink of an eye on my PII 350 box. You should see it on my dual Xenons. :D