The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   3rd Oxygen Sensor fails after 10k (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57718)

Blue94 06-29-2011 05:35 PM

3rd Oxygen Sensor fails after 10k

So I have replaced the left side/driver side O2 sensor 3 times in 10K miles. Each time it lasts for several months to a year ( don't drive it that much ) then the CEL light will come on and I pull a #37. I am wondering if something is causing it to fail i.e. a fault Cat maybe? Any way to test the sensor?

Thanks, Dust

kwren 06-29-2011 08:05 PM

Re: 3rd Oxygen Sensor fails after 10k

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue94 (Post 680400)
So I have replaced the left side/driver side O2 sensor 3 times in 10K miles. Each time it lasts for several months to a year ( don't drive it that much ) then the CEL light will come on and I pull a #37. I am wondering if something is causing it to fail i.e. a fault Cat maybe? Any way to test the sensor?

Thanks, Dust

code 37 does not necessarily mean the o2 sensor itself is bad. Ever. Seriously...

Keith:cool:

Huskymaniac 06-29-2011 08:38 PM

Consider the following possibilities:

Check for exhaust leaks
Check for wiring problems (shorted, frayed wires)
Check for inlet air leaks
Check the MAF sensor for proper operation

What brand are you using for the replacement?

icingdeath88 06-29-2011 08:56 PM

Our O2 sensors are before the cats, so they don't really factor in. It could be that the O2 sensor on that side is getting fouled up somehow. Maybe running too rich or burning oil?

Blue94 06-29-2011 11:53 PM

Hmm? well I have the usual leaks, the connection is fairly covered in oil, short of that the car is running fine. No notice of burning oil?
The first two were Bosch then I read on here that many were having problems with them so this last time I ordered an off brand.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll have to take a closer look around tomorrow.

Dust

Blue94 08-14-2011 03:15 PM

Well I think I fixed it. I wanted to finish this thread so that it will be here for those with similar problems. I search quite a bit here and find it helpful to read about a resolution.

Upon closer inspection I found a broken vacuum hose on the passenger side going into the intake manifold. Right in front of me. Anyway I cut it down and tied it on with a zip tie and walla, runs great and no check engine light. So now I am going to go buy some new hose and do it right. I’m trying to talk myself into pulling the intake manifold and doing them all but I'd be lying if I said just reading about it scares me.:confused::)

Dust

Huskymaniac 08-14-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue94 (Post 683958)
Well I think I fixed it. I wanted to finish this thread so that it will be here for those with similar problems. I search quite a bit here and find it helpful to read about a resolution.

Upon closer inspection I found a broken vacuum hose on the passenger side going into the intake manifold. Right in front of me. Anyway I cut it down and tied it on with a zip tie and walla, runs great and no check engine light. So now I am going to go buy some new hose and do it right. I’m trying to talk myself into pulling the intake manifold and doing them all but I'd be lying if I said just reading about it scares me.:confused::)

Dust

Are you talking about the line that plugs into the nipple on the back of the intake manifold on the passenger side of the car? That one takes a really tight bend.

Blue94 08-15-2011 12:32 AM

That's the one. It was so brittle that I couldn'nt even bend it. Love the cheap fixes.

Dust