The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How low is too low (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51395)

michael 08-23-2009 10:24 AM

How low is too low

I decided to start researching my future suspension and would like some opinions. I attached a photoshop of the approximate ride height I would like to have but I have little knowledge about suspension geometry and center of gravity bla, bla bla... I have heard that to maintain proper center of gravity while lowering a car the ball joints are supposed to be lowered the same amount as the body. To be honest I don't really want to get into doing it right. I would like to know how far I can lower the suspension without degrading handling, ride quality or tire wear. I especially don't want to downgrade from factory. Are Koni/GS's the only route I can take or is there a less expensive way.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...sl/lowered.jpg

Hocrest 08-23-2009 10:51 AM

Re: How low is too low

Looks nice....

But one thing... Have you driven around Scranton much?? How about the driveway to your garage?? :lol:

There was a lengthy and detailed post in regards to the control arm angle a few years back. I did a quick search and couldn't find it. :(

michael 08-23-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 614831)
Looks nice....

But one thing... Have you driven around Scranton much?? How about the driveway to your garage?? :lol:

There was a lengthy and detailed post in regards to the control arm angle a few years back. I did a quick search and couldn't find it. :(

I lived here all my life, The trick is to drive in the oncoming lane or on the sidewalk.

-pothole ninja :D

Tim 08-23-2009 11:25 AM

I remember Mychailo made a post about it ages ago. I believe he said the suspension had about 3.5 inches of usable travel, so the optimal drop was no more than an inch. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

michael 08-23-2009 12:19 PM

Found it!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...pension+travel

looks like I'm once again stuck with an unsightly amount of wheel well gap in the front :mad: If this is the case would I regret a non-coilover setup? If anyone has replacement springs/shocks please chime in with your impressions. I keep hearing "If I had to do it over, I'd go with GC's" How many other options are there:

Motorsport
K&B???
Mychailo "spelling" please confirm - I cant find him in member list

Tim 08-23-2009 12:53 PM

I used to use the mychailo spring setup with new stock struts. The struts failed after a year and then I saved up money to buy the Koni/GC setup. The mychailo springs themselves were pretty decent. They felt stock in terms of comfort but offered a better cornering feeling with lessened brake dive. Going to the Koni/GC was a night and day difference. After 2 years the springs still look good.

I AM the definition of doing it all over again :domo: :D

michael 08-23-2009 01:17 PM

So what about Mychailo springs and koni's?

SVXRide 08-23-2009 03:02 PM

Mychailo's springs and koni inserts work great! They are the "sport" suspension that Subaru should have offered from the factory. I ran this set up for ~2 years before going to a GC/Koni set up. The change to the GC/Koni set up was autoX driven. For sporty dd applications, I'd stick with Mychailo's springs and koni inserts.

-Bill

svxfiles 08-23-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael (Post 614837)
Mychailo "spelling" please confirm - I cant find him in member list

His Network name is;mbtoloczko :)

Green1995SVX 08-23-2009 05:21 PM

I have the Motorsport springs now with stock struts. I am happy with the ride quality, but the car is slightly too low to get in and out of my driveway. The tow hooks scrape a little bit. I have had these springs since November, but have only put about 2000 miles on my car since then.

On my 1995 SVX, I had the K&B springs. I have a lot more experience with these as I ran them on my car for 70,000 miles with the stock struts. I had no issues and the struts held up fine. The car rode and handled great. I believe they are the best option for the SVX.

dcarrb 08-24-2009 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 614831)
But one thing... Have you driven around Scranton much?? How about the driveway to your garage??

Really. I've scrubbed the front valance on mine more than once (an awful sound), snagged-and-dragged assorted road debris, and they're stock. From a practical standpoint, lowering makes no sense.

dcb

NiftySVX 08-24-2009 10:47 AM

I've been toying with the idea of getting some springs for the front of my 94 as it rides about 3/4 of an inch lower in the rear due to the FWD springs, so it's like having 125 lbs in the trunk of a stock svx. You can really only tell if you're very familiar with SVXs or if you park it next to another, and I think that it actually improved the handling of the car by having it squat in the back. I have always been interested in what it would do to the driving dynamic of my particular car by adding a stiffer rear anti roll bar and lowering the front end to make it closer to the rear.

redlightningsvx 08-24-2009 03:06 PM

I replaced my rear FWD springs to the LSi springs and they are wound about a 1/4in. tighter.

SSSVX 08-25-2009 12:51 PM

The svx stock ground clearance is already low enough for this town driving. The bottom will easily get scratched if you are not careful.

A regular hydraulic jack cannot get underneath the car to change a flat tire. It's good to have a stock jack in the trunk.

Mephis 08-25-2009 01:29 PM

I'd just get a front clip or something if you want the car lower, I've seen some members with them. There's still a little room to play with up there.

I bottom out constantly in town trying to get over entrances to businesses and speed bumps, at factory height.