The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   This is for the birds..... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35387)

sicksubie 09-29-2006 10:27 AM

This is for the birds.....

Has anyone had the problem with hitting birds while driving their SVX? I had never hit one until I bought my first SVX. I have owned three now total and have hit three birds. All have been at different speeds. The first was on the highway at about 75mph, the second was at about 30mph, and the last one was around 45mph. Twos crows and a dove met an early death when they crossed my path. So has this happened to anybody before?? Is it something to do with the aerodynamics of the car? I wondered that because the birds all hit in similar places on the front edge of my hood. Any ideas?????:confused:

Earthworm 09-29-2006 10:39 AM

Never hit a bird yet with my SVX. Almost nailed a Canada Goose that walked in front of my car while I was going 40mph+...it was flapping it's wings on my hood.

I have more of a problem with birds using my car for target practise if you know what I mean :rolleyes:

bwb3 09-29-2006 10:46 AM

Popped a Mockingbird in the butt the other day at 20 MPH. He thought he could cross the road first. Left some white stuff on the headlight.
Gene

shelfy 09-29-2006 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Almost nailed a Canada Goose that walked in front of my car while I was going 40mph+...it was flapping it's wings on my hood.

canada goose? we call them canadian geese here.

and on a related note, a college friend was home for the weekend and it was very foggy and she drove through and over a gaggle of canadian geese trying to cross the street one weekend. :(

and one time, i hit one with a golf ball. poor critter. :(

sicksubie 09-29-2006 10:52 AM

Canadians are people from Canada. Canada Goose/Geese is the actual official name for them

shelfy 09-29-2006 10:53 AM

i've only hit two birds with a car in my life:

1 - while delivering pizza in college in my 87 chevy nova
2 - this summer somewhere in nebraska on our way to michigan

also, the previous owner of our jeep sold it to us with a bird lodged in the grill. :(

shelfy 09-29-2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie
Canadians are people from Canada. Canada Goose/Geese is the actual official name for them

i am using the adjective version of the word, not the noun.

Ca‧na‧di‧an  /kəˈneɪdiən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuh-ney-dee-uhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1. of Canada or its people.
–noun 2. a native or inhabitant of Canada.

sicksubie 09-29-2006 11:00 AM

I could be wrong but I think that if you look them up in a birf guide they are listed as Canada Geese. I could be wrong though and frankly who cares:rolleyes::p

shelfy 09-29-2006 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie
I could be wrong though and frankly who cares:rolleyes::p

you must care, you brought it up. :)

svx_commuter 09-29-2006 11:05 AM

I got a pigeon once with a van I had. I found it in the grill when I stopped. Feathers everywhere all over the radiator. What a mess it made.

I also ran over a pigeon that was a slow mover in a parking lot. Tried to walk out of the way instead of flying. I was turning at the time and the Pinto slid sideways about a foot.

I have gotten two deer with my SVX. Both were in the air at the time flying but they are a lot bigger than bird.

I also got a few birds with the SVX that were a little too slow. Actualy I was little faster than the normal traffic so they most likely misjudged the speed of the SVX. I think these birds were bored and tried to play dodge the SVX. Loosers.

shelfy 09-29-2006 11:05 AM

i think i might start calling ham canada bacon!

shelfy 09-29-2006 11:06 AM

and speaking of bacon...trey parker and matt stone are feeding bacon to a pig in teh south park dvds.

shelfy 09-29-2006 11:07 AM

which reminds me teh time hubby and i were at a park and he was feeding chicken nuggets to the canadian geese.

shelfy 09-29-2006 11:08 AM

now we're back on topic. :D

sicksubie 09-29-2006 11:10 AM

The crow that I hit at 75ish actually cracked my fiberglass hood.