The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I'm screwed... Need advice ASAP!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24024)

clarkerussell 01-23-2005 09:17 PM

I'm screwed... Need advice ASAP!!!

I've just driven my SVX to orlando for a week of vacation. About half way there I noticed a loud noise from my rear wheels. I had no choice but to continue on for the rest of the 300 miles. Needless to say, the bearings are shot.. REALLY, REALLY shot.. Almost to the point of not being able to talk over the noise.

I'm leaving on Thursday so I need to take the car to a Stealer for repair ASAP. How much should it run me for a new left rear wheel bearing? Since I'm not at my house (and on vacation) I'm going to have to pay them to put it on for me and I'm really worried about getting screwed. I'm between a rock and a hard place here.

Regardless, I need to get a few questions answered:

1) In Orlando it looks like there are 3 Subaru dealers. Does anyone have a recommendation for me?

2) On Subaruparts.com when I try to add the rear wheel bearing it automatically adds two of them to the cart. I'm assuming that's two per vehicle, not per side, right?

3) At Subaruparts.com they are offering the inner and outer gease seals in pairs as well. Is this per side, or per vehicle?

4) Besides the whole shipping grease/operating grease knowledge, is there anything else I need to be aware of? Thanks in advance!

Clarke

Seraph 01-23-2005 09:33 PM

I'd say about 250-350 should be a fair price for each side.

ensteele 01-23-2005 09:34 PM

There is 2 per side. An inner and an outer bearing. That is why there are two seals as well.

Good luck. :)

Ron Mummert 01-23-2005 09:35 PM

Since you don't have time to shop around, expect to pay a dealer $100+ bucks for ONE bearing, plus about $20 for TWO seals & a few bucks for a new axel nut. I had an independant mechanic install all for $210.00 (mid-Atlantic prices), last week on mine.
There's plenty of do's & don't's in here when you google around under "wheel bearings".
Good luck - Ron.

clarkerussell 01-23-2005 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
There is 2 per side. An inner and an outer bearing. That is why there are two seals as well.

I obviously don't understand how the bearings function on the car...

So to do both rear wheels I'd need a total of 4 bearings, 4 inner seals and 4 outer seals? Are the bearings all the same? Thanks.

Clarke

clarkerussell 01-23-2005 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Since you don't have time to shop around, expect to pay a dealer $100+ bucks for ONE bearing, plus about $20 for TWO seals & a few bucks for a new axel nut. I had an independant mechanic install all for $210.00 (mid-Atlantic prices), last week on mine.
There's plenty of do's & don't's in here when you google around under "wheel bearings".
Good luck - Ron.

So that'd be $120 for parts and another $200-$300 for labor? Thanks.

Clarke

clarkerussell 01-23-2005 09:48 PM

Quote:

So to do both rear wheels I'd need a total of 4 bearings, 4 inner seals and 4 outer seals? Are the bearings all the same? Thanks.

Clarke

oab_au 01-24-2005 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by clarkerussell

Clarke

Hi Clarke, the bearing has a double ended outer track, with a tapered roller race in each end, thats three pieces of bearing, plus an inner seal and an outer seal for each side.

So you need a compleat bearing and inner/outer seals for each side.

They make a lot of noise, but when you get them out, the track only has a small amount of marking on them. I have not heard of a bearing breaking up.

Harvey.;)

TomsSVX 01-24-2005 11:32 PM

the plastic casing on my bearings was broken but all my rollers were intact and not too worn. You could prob make the trip back without doing them if you really needed to, just beware of the noise. anyway have a rebutle for my statements feel free

SilverSpear 01-25-2005 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph
I'd say about 250-350 should be a fair price for each side.
LOOOOOOOOL, send me your whole rear axle over here, I will do it for you for $100 .... only.

red95svx 01-25-2005 09:44 AM

Rear bearing set up:

complete bearing assembly: 28016PA010. Subaru list= $78.02
inner seal: 28015AA070. Subaru list=$8.83
outer seal: 28015AA021. Subaru list=$10.70

Total parts, one side: $97.55

You may or may not need additional parts, but at least you know what Subaru "offficially" charges for the main parts.

Dave

EDIT: Harvey is right. We've seen some VERY bad bearings before, but I've never heard of one completely failing.

red95svx 01-25-2005 09:56 AM

Quote:

Yes and no. The bearing does have multiple parts, but they are only sold as whole assemblies. So there is only one per side, plus one seal one either end. Subaruparts.com is trying to sell you both sides at once.

Dave

red95svx 01-25-2005 10:02 AM

Just checked out Subaruparts.com. The default setting is for two bearings to be added to your order when you click on rear bearing. You can manually change the quantity though so that you can purchase just one bearing (one side).

Dave

dcarrb 01-25-2005 10:53 AM

Probably safe to say that if the bearings on one side are failing, the other side's not far behind.

dcb

TomsSVX 01-25-2005 11:12 AM

you should be able to pick up a set of aftermarket bearings at a local parts deal like a NAPA or something like that for a similar price. I order mine from NAPA and got them the next day. cost me 180 for both side with bearings and seals.