The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Closest thing to the SVX? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64630)

Leiavoia 06-26-2018 08:11 PM

Closest thing to the SVX?

Hi all,

My poor '92 is falling to bits and i think it's time to get a newer car. I don't know what to replace it with. I've had this guy since 2005 and hate to let it go.

What is the closest thing to the SVX that i can get for <$20k ? (Subaru, used, or whatever)

I like the way the SVX drives and how responsive it is, even if a tad heavy. It's a "swift tank". I feel like i am the car, not just driving one.

What else can i drive like this?

Thanks for your input.

Sean486 06-27-2018 02:06 PM

Re: Closest thing to the SVX?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leiavoia (Post 748875)
Hi all,

My poor '92 is falling to bits and i think it's time to get a newer car. I don't know what to replace it with. I've had this guy since 2005 and hate to let it go.

What is the closest thing to the SVX that i can get for <$20k ? (Subaru, used, or whatever)

I like the way the SVX drives and how responsive it is, even if a tad heavy. It's a "swift tank". I feel like i am the car, not just driving one.

What else can i drive like this?

Thanks for your input.

A used Audi A5 Coupe or maybe a G37 Coupe.

Landshark 06-28-2018 06:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
G37xS coupe - Kind of a cross between two of my favorite cars - the Porsche 928 and the SVX.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1530652778

AWD of the SVX

And 330hp, an instrument cluster that moves with the steering wheel, and big brakes of the 928.

SURTEESS 06-29-2018 02:23 AM

look for a clean 97 SVX ?

Blacky 06-29-2018 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SURTEESS (Post 748885)
look for a clean 97 SVX ?

Good idea. You can get a clean, low mileage '97 for under 10K and have 10K for many years of happy motoring and maintenance.

Landshark 06-29-2018 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 748886)
Good idea. You can get a clean, low mileage '97 for under 10K and have 10K for many years of happy motoring and maintenance.

I still say G37. :D

A '97 SVX is still 21 years old at this point. Rubber and plastic parts are deteriorating, and some parts aren't even available.

For a few $grand more, you get a modern car with 100 more hp that's WAY more reliable (and fun to drive). It may not turn heads like an SVX, but its not too shabby in the looks department.

RisingPhoenix 06-30-2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 748887)
i still say G37. :D

a '97 SVX is 21 years old at this point. rubber and plastic parts are deteriorating, some parts aren't even available.

for a few $grand more, you get a modern car with 100 more hp that's WAY more reliable (and fun to drive). may not turn heads like an SVX, but its not too shabby in the looks department.

Wow. Pathetic. If a person just uses high quality oils (a TOP synthetic) and replaces all the fluids regularly, they are the nicest, smoothest riding and usually the fastest car on the road.

Anyway, back on subject here, the closest thing to a Subaru SVX is obviously my beloved Subaru XT-6

Landshark 07-01-2018 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RisingPhoenix (Post 748889)
Wow. Pathetic. If a person just uses high quality oils (a TOP synthetic) and replaces all the fluids regularly, they are the nicest, smoothest riding and usually the fastest car on the road.

Pathetic? Aside from a few nice examples maintained by some members here, most of the SVX's still on the road are either rust buckets, beat to hell, or riced-out modified. Smooth riding doesn't mean **** if you're riding in a $1500 piece of crap. You could always spend $10,000 to restore it to make it worth $2500. ;)

Usually fastest car on the road? :lol:. The average minivan has more power than the SVX and a Toyota Camry will flat out smoke it.

The SVX is a great car, but there aren't many great ones left... so don't be a "pathetic" fanboi.

rvnmaniac 07-03-2018 10:31 AM

I owned my 1992 SVX from Mar 2005 to Jan 2017. I let it go for a 2009 Legacy 2.5i SE with only 53,000 miles on it. Don't miss the premium gas and all the maintenance needed on that car. Even though the Legacy has less HP it seems faster to me, definitely a smoother ride and less heart ache.

huck369 07-05-2018 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 748890)

The SVX is a great car, but there aren't many great ones left... so don't be a "pathetic" fanboi.

This is EXACTLY where you SHOULD be a "pathetic" fanboi......as this IS a SVX Forum....Sure there are other good cars, and stating there good points is OK, but I see no good reason to speak badly of the car that we are ALL here because of.

If I didn't live where the AWD was needed, I'd consider a used BRZ, if I were in the market for a <$20K

Landshark 07-06-2018 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 748925)
This is EXACTLY where you SHOULD be a "pathetic" fanboi......as this IS a SVX Forum....Sure there are other good cars, and stating there good points is OK, but I see no good reason to speak badly of the car that we are ALL here because of.

I wasn't trashing it - I said its a great car! The problem is finding a good one that hasn't been trashed or neglected.
As far as it being the "fastest car on the road", I didn't think it was 16 years ago, and it sure as hell isn't today. Its a great touring car for traveling long distances comfortably, but its not going to win many races.

Quote:

If I didn't live where the AWD was needed, I'd consider a used BRZ, if I were in the market for a <$20K
If the BRZ/FRS had AWD and 300+ hp, it would be my perfect car. :(

huck369 07-06-2018 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 748947)
I wasn't trashing it - I said its a great car! The problem is finding a good one that hasn't been trashed or neglected.
As far as it being the "fastest car on the road", I didn't think it was 16 years ago, and it sure as hell isn't today. Its a great touring car for traveling long distances comfortably, but its not going to win many races.

If the BRZ/FRS had AWD and 300+ hp, it would be my perfect car. :(

I too don't consider the SVX a "Fast" car, but more like a "Quick" one, I'm OK with the BRZ's power, but I've owned a few XT6's which have even less, but are fun cars....but finding a good XT6 is 10 times worse than finding a Nice SVX at this point.