The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   wideband emplacement (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56271)

JDMath 01-02-2011 04:53 PM

wideband emplacement

for those who got a wideband... where to put the sensor?? i think the Y is way too far from the engine... but not really had the choice... what to do with this??

thanks!

JDMath 01-05-2011 08:12 AM

Re: wideband emplacement

nobody's running a wideband :eek::confused:

SVX_MY_BABY 01-05-2011 08:55 AM

Qesc que cest wideband?

North Ursalia 01-05-2011 01:57 PM

Wide-band air/fuel ratio sensor- stock sensors are good for OEM engine management, but a wideband sensor is highly useful for engine tuning purposes. Optimally, they are placed very close to the exhaust ports of the hottest/leanest cylinder.

JDMath 01-05-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North Ursalia (Post 666022)
Optimally, they are placed very close to the exhaust ports of the hottest/leanest cylinder.

yea, but thats the problem with h6, after the Y isnt too far from cylinder?? i canot put it were the stock 02 is,coz i'll need two sensor or i dont know?:confused:

North Ursalia 01-05-2011 07:55 PM

Just put it into one of the cat pipes just after the header/collector on the leaner side- I'm not sure if it's the driver or passenger side of the motor that gets fuel last without looking at my manuals, but there is no need to have it way back at the Y merge.

JDMath 01-06-2011 06:09 PM

but,ill only get the signal from 3 of the 6 cylinder by doing this....:eek: i'm missunderstanding a little:o also note that i'm running a megasquirt, stock 02 sensor are not used ,custom longtube headers and custom exhaust

hooo! and its not in a svx, its an eg33 in my 98 forester:D

svxfiles 01-06-2011 06:18 PM

I installed my wideband on the passenger side custom made header.
Fuel enters on the drivers side, so the passenger side could be leaner.

JDMath 01-06-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 666103)
I installed my wideband on the passenger side custom made header.
Fuel enters on the drivers side, so the passenger side could be leaner.

and its "safe" to tune whitout the 3 other cylinder signal??i mean, if something on driver side fail, i wont really know when watching my wideband since it just "log" the passenger side head....?? maybe i just see problem where they weren't :lol:

North Ursalia 01-06-2011 08:02 PM

If you only have one wideband A/F to work with, you are tuning for worst case, which would be the leanest cylinder, which is usually the last cylinder fed fuel in a stock Subaru setup. Are you going to be able to tell which of the six cylinders ran lean if you put the wideband back at the Y junction? Nope. Does it really matter as long as you know the side that could run the leanest is still in a safe area of tune? Nope, because the other side/cylinders are going to running a safe ratio because the leanest one is.

svxfiles 01-06-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMath (Post 666106)
and its "safe" to tune whitout the 3 other cylinder signal??i mean, if something on driver side fail, i wont really know when watching my wideband since it just "log" the passenger side head....?? maybe i just see problem where they weren't :lol:

You are correct Sir.
With or without a wideband if all three injectors on the drivers side went/go bad, go lean you will not know.

JDMath 01-07-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North Ursalia (Post 666110)
If you only have one wideband A/F to work with, you are tuning for worst case, which would be the leanest cylinder, which is usually the last cylinder fed fuel in a stock Subaru setup. Are you going to be able to tell which of the six cylinders ran lean if you put the wideband back at the Y junction? Nope. Does it really matter as long as you know the side that could run the leanest is still in a safe area of tune? Nope, because the other side/cylinders are going to running a safe ratio because the leanest one is.

thats logical:) thanks! so i'm putting the wideband on passager side exhaust and i'M ready and safe to tune the car?

Nevin 01-08-2011 09:15 PM

Everything I've read about widebands says you're supposed to keep them at least 24" downstream or you'll cook them quicker. They're not made for huge heat. I mounted mine right after the "Y" and cut a hole in the heatshield above the exhaust so it can stick straight up. Works great!

JDMath 01-10-2011 04:41 PM

ok! so after the Y is not too far ?? how much did you get at idle? and WOT? dont know whats the number with stock ecu but its you can read near 14.7 at idle i presume its not too far for ready corectly:)

Nevin 01-10-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMath (Post 666401)
ok! so after the Y is not too far ?? how much did you get at idle? and WOT? dont know whats the number with stock ecu but its you can read near 14.7 at idle i presume its not too far for ready corectly:)

As long as there are no leaks in your exhaust, you can put it anywhere. There are plenty of tuners that clip a mobile wideband right onto the exhaust tip when they're doing tuning.

At idle it goes from 14.4 or so to 15ish. Usually in that region. Then while cruising about the same. WOT usually goes to about 12.5.