The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tips on Changing ATX fluid (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5619)

Ca$h 08-27-2002 06:58 AM

Tips on Changing ATX fluid

Alright, after class today I'll run and buy some ATX fluid, mobil one synthetic. How much do I need? Also, do I need a filter? Where do I get one? Dealership? Or what?

- Ca$h

Mr. Pockets 08-27-2002 08:42 AM

Re: Tips on Changing ATX fluid

Quote:

Originally posted by Ca$h
Alright, after class today I'll run and buy some ATX fluid, mobil one synthetic. How much do I need? Also, do I need a filter? Where do I get one? Dealership? Or what?

- Ca$h

The problem with just changing the fluid is that you only get about half out. The tranny only has like 20k on it, right? I'd have it flushed - BUT NOT BACKFLUSHED!!! My dealer did it for less than $200.

benebob 08-27-2002 12:16 PM

ATF

Should be around 5 quarts. Check out your manual. It'll tell you how much. If you don't have one call subaru. They'll send you out one free if they have a copy. My SVX took nearly 7 last time I did it but I'm guessing I'm getting some draining out of my tranny cooler. No filter needed unless you want to replace your external filter. Kinda pricy $60ish for me at my dealer. Others have gotten it cheaper by saying they need the whole kit (92's didn't have it originally). If I was you I'd first check your old external filter out to see the condition on the outside. If it wasn't replaced when the tranny was rebuilt definately get a new one. It should be behind the radiator.

gcookaustin 08-27-2002 02:51 PM

I have changed my tranny fluid at least three times. The first time I filled it up with motor oil because I am a retard (hence my 'custom title'). The second and third time I replaced what I could with real tranny fluid, and replaced the filter and pan gasket. Gasket and filter were twenty or thirty dollars each on the internet.

dromano 08-27-2002 04:36 PM

Re: ATF

Quote:

Originally posted by benebob
Should be around 5 quarts. Check out your manual. It'll tell you how much. If you don't have one call subaru. They'll send you out one free if they have a copy. My SVX took nearly 7 last time I did it but I'm guessing I'm getting some draining out of my tranny cooler. No filter needed unless you want to replace your external filter. Kinda pricy $60ish for me at my dealer. Others have gotten it cheaper by saying they need the whole kit (92's didn't have it originally). If I was you I'd first check your old external filter out to see the condition on the outside. If it wasn't replaced when the tranny was rebuilt definately get a new one. It should be behind the radiator.
The Subaru add on filter is under the battery. If you had the dealer flush the tranny that should have involved at least 10 quarts. 10 quarts is the capacity.

David