The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I resolved my car hesitation issues. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44091)

Ricochet 04-03-2008 07:39 PM

I resolved my car hesitation issues.

Check your EGR's if your svx likes to sputter and die a lot. I had 3 out of 4 bolts missing from the EGR valve, been that way for god knows how long. Black stuff from exhaust everywhere. So.. replaced blown gasket, bolts, and the valve assembly.

Manarius 04-03-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet (Post 538886)
Check your EGR's if your svx likes to sputter and die a lot. I had 3 out of 4 bolts missing from the EGR valve, been that way for god knows how long. Black stuff from exhaust everywhere. So.. replaced blown gasket, bolts, and the valve assembly.

How much did that cost and how much effort was it?

Ricochet 04-03-2008 09:02 PM

I'm in Atlanta right now for my new job (riding trains woowoo) so I had a shop take her in (along with the amount of rust I saw.. I didn't want to touch that mess). That plus a timing belt and cam seal replacement is just under a grand. The amount of man hours required to work on these cars is redonkulous. Anyways, to me, it's well worth it to get a 3+ year old mystery problem fixed.. along with finding my oil leak.

ensteele 04-03-2008 11:12 PM

When you say hesitation, could you explain what it is? Is it just a hesitation, or is it a jerk or sharp hesitation? Are you excelerating, or just driving at a consistant speed?

Ricochet 04-04-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 538943)
Is it just a hesitation, or is it a jerk or sharp hesitation? Are you excelerating, or just driving at a consistant speed?

There was a huge vacuum leak there, so yes all of the above.

Manarius 04-04-2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet (Post 539113)
There was a huge vacuum leak there, so yes all of the above.

I get that every now and again, and I think my EGR is at fault. I was just wondering how much it would cost for a shop to do that work.

Ricochet 04-04-2008 04:06 PM

They told me egr's are common troublemakers on the older 3.3's

crazyhorse 04-04-2008 04:26 PM

Mine hesitates once, every time I start it cold. The first time I go to take off it falls flat, then goes normally. I feel like it's just a quirk, so I'll let it go, unless it gets worse.

tierod 04-04-2008 10:01 PM

I had the same issue as "falling flat once when cold" . If you have access to old tsb,s from subaru, you will find reference to an engine ecu fix. It involves, believe it or not, removing the cover off the ecu and crushing (not cutting) a capaciter in a certain area. Sorry but I down have the picture any more. I did it to my own 92 and it solved the problem.

ensteele 04-04-2008 10:35 PM

Mine jerks or hickups as I am going at a constant speed on freeway. It only happens ever 5 minutes or so, but it is very noticeable. There is a whole thread about it. :(

CorSVXette 04-05-2008 05:02 AM

Pardon my scuby nuby, but can do you have picture of the egr and where is it located so I can make sure my bolts are tight?

TomsSVX 04-05-2008 08:17 AM

it is on the rear passenger side cylinder head.

Tom

Ricochet 04-05-2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tierod (Post 539195)
I had the same issue as "falling flat once when cold" . If you have access to old tsb,s from subaru, you will find reference to an engine ecu fix. It involves, believe it or not, removing the cover off the ecu and crushing (not cutting) a capaciter in a certain area. Sorry but I down have the picture any more. I did it to my own 92 and it solved the problem.

That's for accelerating from a stop mine was hesitating at any speed.