The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SVX Disassembly? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37825)

Blue94 03-08-2007 03:30 PM

SVX Disassembly?

Well my Blue 94 isn't so blue anymore and to add insult to injury I have a small patch of rust on the drivers side door. I have been toying with the idea of painting the car myself, I have all the equipment just lacking in talent:rolleyes: . My question is...is there a site, book, etc.. that can assist me in taking down my car enough to paint? For example how do I get the black seal around the sunroof off? And more importantly how to get it back on?

Blue

ensteele 03-08-2007 04:21 PM

The FMS are probably the best ones. :)

SVeXy96 03-08-2007 04:24 PM

This is a good question I've been wondering myself! I don't have the tools either, but I think I have the talent :confused: or not who knows!

davew833 03-08-2007 04:48 PM

Sunroof seal's real easy-- just open the roof part way and peel it off carefully. It has a split in the back- it's not a continuous "ring", so start at the split. Took me about a minute to get mine off. The paint shop reinstalled it so I don't know how hard that was, but I don't imagine it's very hard.

DarknessofDeath 03-08-2007 05:38 PM

i have installed a new sunroof weather stripping within the last month. taking it off is easy. but i personally believe it would be easier to take off the sunroof to put it back on.
i had a hard time getting it on at the lowest points, where the sunroof is closest to the car when it is opened all the way back. i used a pen (i had it on me at the time) to help push it down and under to get it on. it wasn't that easy. especially the second side.
dont forget to clean all the oil seal that is on the sunroof and put some weatherstripping seal first

It's Just Eric 03-08-2007 07:24 PM

Leave it to the professionals. You would be quite suprised in how long even somethign simple takes, especially once you start digging into the body work. for the 2 or 3 grand itll cost, youll save yourself ALOT of time, and alot of your sanity as well. If you really want to give it a try,and if talent is the only thing you're lacking , I reccomend practicing on some other things first. Here's a personal reccomendation:

Go get yourself a hood from a junkyard. Start 'er off by putting a few little dents in it. Just tiny ones...Like mabey hit it once with a hammer. Sand it down, put a little filler on it, sand the filler untill its prfect, prime it, sand the primer, seal it and paint it. If it looks good, go ahead and make a few biger dents somewhee else on the hood and do it over. Try to find a hood with some flat spots, some curves, mabey some odd contours. Practice untill your confident enough, then do the svx. Its not so much painting the car that's hard, its everything you do before it (And dont think for a second you can hide anything with a thick layer of paint)

Blue94 03-09-2007 12:07 AM

The talent thing was just a personal dig. I spray my scale r/c planes so as far as the gun set up I
am used to that. I have been snooping around an autobody forum and have learned much. As
Eric stated everyone says it's the prep time and sanding before and after that makes a paint job.
They make it look easy, it's when I look at all the curves on the SVX and the valences that I
would have to take off I get a little intimidated. As far as paying someone to do it I could but for
some strange reason I want to see if I could do it.

I think I may do just that i.e. paint a hood or something. Maybe take the spoiler off the car and
see if I could paint it? Thanks for the comments guys, Blue

joburnet 03-09-2007 08:27 AM

If you want to do it yourself then go for it, what's the worst that can happen?

SVeXy96 03-09-2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Leave it to the professionals. You would be quite suprised in how long even somethign simple takes, especially once you start digging into the body work. for the 2 or 3 grand itll cost, youll save yourself ALOT of time, and alot of your sanity as well. If you really want to give it a try,and if talent is the only thing you're lacking , I reccomend practicing on some other things first. Here's a personal reccomendation:

Go get yourself a hood from a junkyard. Start 'er off by putting a few little dents in it. Just tiny ones...Like mabey hit it once with a hammer. Sand it down, put a little filler on it, sand the filler untill its prfect, prime it, sand the primer, seal it and paint it. If it looks good, go ahead and make a few biger dents somewhee else on the hood and do it over. Try to find a hood with some flat spots, some curves, mabey some odd contours. Practice untill your confident enough, then do the svx. Its not so much painting the car that's hard, its everything you do before it (And dont think for a second you can hide anything with a thick layer of paint)

Now thats some good advice, but a LOT of work to paint an SVX...I think, in my case at least, I'l leave it to the pros!

It's Just Eric 03-09-2007 10:17 PM

Just a big tip: If you can feel it, youll see it. If you run your hand over your body filler and you can feel where it starts, or where the dent was...ts not ready. same goes for rock chips. You really have to sand them good....dont try to dig them out paint over them...There will be an indentation where the chip was. If you have any other questions feel free to ask