The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Slow start (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44264)

wannarace928 04-12-2008 09:10 PM

Slow start

Before I start tossing parts at the car, I would like to get some other peoples opinions.

I have been having a "Slow starting" issue with my car. It cranks normally, but takes a lot longer to start than it should. A shop that I had my oil changed at checked the Alternator and it showed it wasn't putting out anything. Then I took the car a few days ago to an Advance auto parts and had them check the battery/alternator and everything tested fine.

A couple nights ago, I was out driving around and after one of the slow starting episodes, the lights where dim and the clock wasn't illuminating until I got on the highway. Then everything was fine.

The other day, the clock kept getting dim/bright while I was driving. Pushing the button on the end of the turn signal did not help to make it brighter. But I am not getting any check engine lights, battery lights or anything like that.

Today I took it to another auto parts store to have it tested after driving around for a while, Alternator and battery once again tested fine, but he said there was about a 1k drop in RPM's while I was holding the accelerator down around 2k rpm's.:confused:

Another note: sometimes when it is having the "slow start" issue, if I give it some gas, it seems to start better. Or when the car does start, it seems like it wants to die until I rev it up. This happens at any time throughout the day. When it is Warm or Cold.

Battery was bought around 9 months ago, Starter was replaced around 3 months ago and the fuel pump was replaced around the same time.

Does it sound like the Alternator is going out?
Or does it sound more like a fuel related/sensor related issue?

Manarius 04-12-2008 09:56 PM

It sounds to me like you have a bad battery.

Trevor 04-12-2008 11:04 PM

You have stated, “It cranks normally”, also ” Today I took it to another auto parts store to have it tested after driving around for a while, Alternator and battery once again tested fine,” Therefore one must presume that the battery and alternator are OK. :confused:

“he said there was about a 1k drop in RPM's while I was holding the accelerator down around 2k rpm's.” also “sometimes when it is having the "slow start" issue, if I give it some gas, it seems to start better.” This makes one consider the TPS as a possible culprit.

“The other day, the clock kept getting dim/bright while I was driving. Pushing the button on the end of the turn signal did not help to make it brighter. But I am not getting any check engine lights, battery lights or anything like that.” Strange indeed if nothing else associated is occurring.

If you can add any more clues this could help.;)

kwren 04-13-2008 12:40 AM

Looked like you left a bunch of clues to me!

Just Kidding Trevor!!
that is a tough call.
Sometimes a bad alternator will check ok and next time not work
I am sure you have nice clean, tight battery connectors.

Might consider putting a volt meter on the battery and testing the voltage before and during the hard to start thing?

That could tell us a lot about the starter, battery being properly charged and even the battery itself!
Just a few things eliminated should be nice :)

Good luck

Trevor 04-13-2008 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 541072)
Just Kidding Trevor!!
that is a tough call.
Sometimes a bad alternator will check ok and next time not work
I am sure you have nice clean, tight battery connectors.

Might consider putting a volt meter on the battery and testing the voltage before and during the hard to start thing?

That could tell us a lot about the starter, battery being properly charged and even the battery itself!
Just a few things eliminated should be nice :)

Good luck

No kidding Keith,

I could have raised all sorts of may be stuff, but so as not to start arguments I have learned to stick to the facts as written, rather than suggest a lack of diligence. :D

svxfiles 04-13-2008 05:11 AM

If you are going to Reading we can check it out there.:)
It "sounds like" an electrical problem.
I have seen a battery that tested good twenty times in a row, still be bad.
It could be those old brittle wires to the alternator have a break, or an occasional short.
Tom

kwren 04-13-2008 03:36 PM

Good choice, Trevor!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 541074)
No kidding Keith,

I could have raised all sorts of may be stuff, but so as not to start arguments I have learned to stick to the facts as written, rather than suggest a lack of diligence. :D

More information is definitely needed. A lot of times, a person just has to be there! Sometimes just hearing the sound is even a great clue.:)

Take care,
Keith

wannarace928 04-13-2008 06:58 PM

I just swapped the battery from my teal and polo, as the battery in the polo is new. I'll be driving it around tomorrow to see if that does anything. If it doesn't i'll take a video of the starting problem. And post up the "receipts" of the battery/alternator tests.

:D
I could write a book on all the problems this car has given me.:rolleyes:

I was kinda thinking along the lines of maybe the alternator is working intermittantly. Unfortunately I can't swap the Alternators as there is a broken bolt on the Polo's Alternator. I actually can't get it off of the car.:eek: :(

Only other thing I can think of that has happened is, about 1-2 weeks ago I came to a stop light after driving about 3 miles from home and the car died. It took a long time to start back up that time as well. That was the first and only time it has ever died while driving, i'm not sure if it is related to the problem or not.

It doesn't really have any other problems except the steering "goes out" occasionally. I was told my rack is bad causing that.

I'll post more info tomorrow.

wannarace928 04-13-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 541078)
If you are going to Reading we can check it out there.:)
It "sounds like" an electrical problem.
I have seen a battery that tested good twenty times in a row, still be bad.
It could be those old brittle wires to the alternator have a break, or an occasional short.
Tom

Thanks! I am planning on going to reading, but only for saturday afternoon. I am hoping to find the problem before reading, but if not, then I would very much appreciate you checking it out. :)

Trevor 04-13-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannarace928 (Post 541180)
I just swapped the battery from my teal and polo, as the battery in the polo is new. I'll be driving it around tomorrow to see if that does anything. If it doesn't i'll take a video of the starting problem. And post up the "receipts" of the battery/alternator tests.

:D
I could write a book on all the problems this car has given me.:rolleyes:

I was kinda thinking along the lines of maybe the alternator is working intermittantly. Unfortunately I can't swap the Alternators as there is a broken bolt on the Polo's Alternator. I actually can't get it off of the car.:eek: :(

Only other thing I can think of that has happened is, about 1-2 weeks ago I came to a stop light after driving about 3 miles from home and the car died. It took a long time to start back up that time as well. That was the first and only time it has ever died while driving, i'm not sure if it is related to the problem or not.

It doesn't really have any other problems except the steering "goes out" occasionally. I was told my rack is bad causing that.

I'll post more info tomorrow.

There have been cases recorded in the past where tests by “experts “ have not disclosed intermittent alternator faults.

When you say the car “took a long time to start back up that time as well”, at the time did the starter motor crank at normal speed? If so alternator and battery faults can surely be ruled out.

If there is a cranking problem the alternator could be involved. You now report power steering problems, which makes one suspect a possible loose drive belt. Easy to check and rule out.

wannarace928 04-13-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 541187)
There have been cases recorded in the past where tests by “experts “ have not disclosed intermittent alternator faults.

When you say the car “took a long time to start back up that time as well”, at the time did the starter motor crank at normal speed? If so alternator and battery faults can surely be ruled out.

If there is a cranking problem the alternator could be involved. You now report power steering problems, which makes one suspect a possible loose drive belt. Easy to check and rule out.

I am pretty sure it cranked normally at first. But because it took so long it was starting to get weak after a few attempts.

Belt is definately easy to check and i'll do that tomorrow when i'm messing around with the car. I am pretty sure though, it is the rack. It makes a "grinding" that you can definately feel in the steering wheel and it goes into manual steering. Usually only happens when slowing down to an almost stop or slowing down to 15-25mph and turning.

wannarace928 04-14-2008 08:56 PM

I swapped the batteries in the 2 svx's and drove around today. I didn't have any problems all day until my last stop of the day, I then had the slow starting problem again. I am really thinking alternator at this point....

svxfiles 04-14-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannarace928 (Post 541473)
I swapped the batteries in the 2 svx's and drove around today. I didn't have any problems all day until my last stop of the day, I then had the slow starting problem again. I am really thinking alternator at this point....

At least you crossed one thing off of your list.:o