The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking for Good Mechanic (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43887)

Rescue Wagon 03-21-2008 04:55 PM

Looking for Good Mechanic

Well I am picking up my first SVX this week and I am looking foward to owning a car that I have wanted for a few years.

It currently has a 4EAT that is slipping and that I am guessing will need to be replaced but who knows. That is why I was wondering if anyone knows a good mechanic that knows SVXs in Wyoming or Colorado? Or I guess my other option is just buy a plane ticket for one of the Toms to come to Cheyenne and help me out.

I am really interested in converting the SVX from a FWD car to an AWD car.

Thanks

James

Hondasucks 03-21-2008 07:26 PM

I can wholeheartedly recommend Super Rupair in Boulder

http://www.superrupair.com/

Rescue Wagon 03-22-2008 07:40 AM

I've heard of them but I was not sure of their reputation.

Thanks.

MNYPNNY 03-24-2008 09:34 PM

<6 hrs away....I have a great one who has worked on my car for 9 years...in Grand Junction, CO.

Hondasucks 03-24-2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rescue Wagon (Post 536507)
I've heard of them but I was not sure of their reputation.

Thanks.

They do great work, ask anyone on the USMB.

Frank Rizzo 03-28-2008 11:37 AM

I'd stay away from Super Rupair in Boulder. I had a bad experience with them several years ago. They performed a bunch of diagnostic work that I didn't ask for and was unrelated to the reason the car was brought to them.

In the end, they gave me some nonsense about the gas cap being worn and not holding tight enough. The bill came to somewhere around $110 that they made me pay. The only thing I got out of it was a new gas cap that I could have bought at walmart for 10 bucks.

This was before I was very car savvy. Now I do most work myself.

Frank Rizzo 03-28-2008 11:42 AM

Sorry, I meant radiator cap, not gas cap.

shelfy 03-28-2008 01:49 PM

no expereince with super rupair, but i once used roos only and they didn't solve the problem. also, i used s-wings stuff and i paid them $1300 for installing brake rotors, pads, and lines (i supplied my own parts) and a r134a conversion. :eek:

Rescue Wagon 03-29-2008 09:56 AM

Well, I'll be picking up the 94 today or tomorrow and I think that I will try and fix it myself to start. FE Warren AFB has lifts and a tranny flush system so I think I might start by flushing the tranny and changing the filter and refill with all new fluid to see if this helps. If not a friend recommended a repair shop in Loveland, CO that is supposedly top notch.

Thanks again for the input.

James

Zeppelin 05-27-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelfy (Post 537730)
no expereince with super rupair, but i once used roos only and they didn't solve the problem. also, i used s-wings stuff and i paid them $1300 for installing brake rotors, pads, and lines (i supplied my own parts) and a r134a conversion. :eek:

Damn Shelf, I would've done that work for $1000... :rolleyes:

shelfy 05-27-2008 04:53 PM

holy thread bump, batman!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeppelin (Post 549222)
Damn Shelf, I would've done that work for $1000... :rolleyes:

i guess i should happy you didn't charge me to try and adjust the brake band. this was about the same time and i wouldn't have been any worse off than giving you the car instead of trading it a few days or weeks later for $1500.

SVX_MY_BABY 05-28-2008 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rescue Wagon (Post 537861)
Well, I'll be picking up the 94 today or tomorrow and I think that I will try and fix it myself to start. FE Warren AFB has lifts and a tranny flush system so I think I might start by flushing the tranny and changing the filter and refill with all new fluid to see if this helps. If not a friend recommended a repair shop in Loveland, CO that is supposedly top notch.

Thanks again for the input.

James

You may want to do some research on this site about a tranny flush before you do it. Not always the best thing for this car.

Zeppelin 05-29-2008 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelfy (Post 549244)
i guess i should happy you didn't charge me to try and adjust the brake band. this was about the same time and i wouldn't have been any worse off than giving you the car instead of trading it a few days or weeks later for $1500.

Next time you're in that boat you can give me your SVX, I won't complain. :D

lechnoid 05-29-2008 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY (Post 549338)
You may want to do some research on this site about a tranny flush before you do it. Not always the best thing for this car.

Heh, not always the best thing, period. General rule of thumb. If your tranny is working perfectly but the fluid is icky, change the filter and flush. If it's not running quite right, a flush will either delay the inevitable or make the source of the problem show up faster.

shelfy 05-29-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeppelin (Post 549470)
Next time you're in that boat you can give me your SVX, I won't complain. :D

this doesn't surprise me. :)