The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Return of SVreX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64336)

svxhunter 06-14-2017 06:54 PM

Return of SVreX

Hi guys! It sure has been a while!!

Some of you may remember me- I built a SVX racer called the "SVreX" back in 2004, and took it to the Grassroots Motorsports Challenge. It performed respectfully, finishing 13th overall (out of 77 competitors). It ran a 13.8 quarter mile, and was a respectable autocrosser.

This forum was instrumental in getting me going. I had never built a racer before, and everything I did was influenced by this site.

Since then, I have largely moved away from Subarus, and competed with various other cars. I've built a dozen Challenge cars since then, and had a podium finish in a turbo charged Miata we called "The Mumpkin".

So, I've been SVX-less for a long time, and I kind of miss you guys. The moniker has, however, lived on- my screen name is "SVreX on GRM and other forums.

I've had an interesting opportunity recently, and thought I would share...

One of the cars I built was a '92 Claret 5 speed SVX. It was a street driver, and done right. I had a lot of money in it- Probably about $7K. It included Koni/ GC's a 4:11 final drive, and a 5 speed from an RS. It was a blast to drive and fast as crap, but I never raced it. I was always convinced a 5 speed would make a terrific racer, and I have watched the prices drop for a long time, hoping to be able to build a 5spd SVX for the GRM Challenge.

This week, I had an interesting opportunity. The guy I sold my Claret to is in bad times, and needed to get rid of it. The car had not been well taken care of- in fact the motor is blown. But he agreed to part with it dirt cheap, and the deal included a low mileage motor.

So, I have just re-bought my Claret, for the Kingly sum of $500. That includes the complete nicely done 5 spd conversion, the Koni G/C's, and a spare motor. It's the complete car, that needs some elbow grease to put it back together.

So, I am at the beginning of the planning stage. I won't actually pick up the car for a few months, but I am now thinking of what to do with it. I have 2 ideas that are tickling my fancy:

Plan A: rebuild it and sell it. It would be a cherry car, and probably worth a bit. I could make some money, but this plan is a little boring. (yawn)

Plan B: Build a real racer. I'm thinking sequential twin turbos, after market programmable engine management, 1500 lbs lighter, and full race trim. Perhaps even a trans upgrade and a dry sump. This would be a screamer, and a great contender for an overall win at the GRM Challenge. There is PLENTY of budget left. THAT would be a hoot!

Anyway, I came back to say Hi!, and spread the good news that I'm back, and fully expecting you to enable me with all the terrible ideas you can! I'll start a build thread soon, and expect big things, but you can certainly begin by sharing ideas right here!

SVXandO 06-14-2017 07:04 PM

Re: Return of SVreX

Cool story, bro...:D
No, really.
Can't wait for the build thread....

theflystyle 06-15-2017 05:02 AM

Wow. Lucky for you but very unfortunate for her old owner. With that said, the answer is always PLAN B

huck369 06-16-2017 05:46 AM

Howdy Paul!
Good to see you're still around...the Dragon Meet is next Weekend (June-23,24,25th) you should come up!

svxhunter 06-16-2017 07:14 PM

Hey there, Huck! Terrific to hear from you again!

Much as I'd like to, I don't think I can make the Dragon. Maybe next year.

svxhunter 06-16-2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflystyle (Post 746838)
Wow. Lucky for you but very unfortunate for her old owner. With that said, the answer is always PLAN B

Of course, I agree with you, but it does seem a shame to cut up a really nice 5 speed.

huck369 06-19-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxhunter (Post 746855)
Hey there, Huck! Terrific to hear from you again!

Much as I'd like to, I don't think I can make the Dragon. Maybe next year.

Too bad, would have been good to see you again!......but there is always next year!