The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cool TCU mod (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47231)

b3lha 12-09-2008 08:57 AM

Cool TCU mod

3 Attachment(s)
Since setting up my ECU and TCU modding website, I get a lot of emails from people telling me about their projects. Check this out:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Press
Thanks for all your work on your web page and the SVX TCU. Recently I
have set out to modify my Subaru GL-10 with the 4EAT to add paddle
shifters. I decided to use a Legacy TCU and modify it. Below are the
results of my disassembly of a '90 Legacy AWD TCU; this TCU is similar to
the one in the SVX. Also included is my source code for the paddle
shifter.

I have also modded the shifting line pressure and the AWD clutch. Those
lookup tables documented in the disassembly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha
I'm very impressed by your paddleshift code. You clearly have a good understanding of what you are doing. Have you had a chance to try it out yet? It's a very cool project and I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

Quote:

Yes, the paddle shift is up and working great. The TCU still handles TC
lockup, line pressure, etc. It shifts pretty fast, and makes driving over
the mountains much more fun!

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha
Would it be OK for me to tell the guys on the SVX forum about your project and show them the pictures? I know a few people have mentioned paddle shift in the past and I think they would be excited to see that it is possible.

Quote:

Sure, I don't mind if you show off my project. You can even give out the paddle source.

I've looked at the Legacy TCU program and it is similar to the SVX. It should be fairly straightforward to adapt this to work with an SVX TCU. Pictures and program code attached.

svxistentialist 12-09-2008 09:38 AM

Re: Cool TCU mod

Where's this website Phil? :)

That is a marvellous modification. The gearbox in my RVR has a tipronic gearchange, and it is much nicer to drive that way if I am not being lazy.

Phil, does this mean he has managed to make a 4EAT into a tiptronic type box? If so, that's fantastic.

Joe :)

SVXRide 12-09-2008 10:50 AM

Very cool! What steering wheel/paddle lever set up is he using?
-Bill

Freeman 12-09-2008 11:20 AM

All of this sounds very interesting and I would love to learn more about it! I wen't to your website to check it out and there are too many big words... lol.

Anyway, could anybody sumarize this or tell me the benifits of having this done? How does it all work? What are the paddle things for?

RSVX 12-09-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 575671)
Where's this website Phil? :)

That is a marvellous modification. The gearbox in my RVR has a tipronic gearchange, and it is much nicer to drive that way if I am not being lazy.

Phil, does this mean he has managed to make a 4EAT into a tiptronic type box? If so, that's fantastic.

Joe :)

His signature might be a good place to start.:lol:

taylorbr 12-09-2008 01:05 PM

That's some REALLY cool stuff on the website. It has me wondering if the hardware of the ECU/TCU is the same for different markets (USDM, JDM, UKDM) why the JDM maps look so different. In theory using some of that stuff, you could do lots of stuff - adjust the timing to run a 87 octane mode, adjust the A/F ratios to get more power, etc...

@Freeman - this stuff allows you to adjust the code that controls the engine and transmission. With the paddle mod, when you pull the lever it will tell the TCU to shift up or down, acting like one of the tiptronic transmissions. You have one paddle to shift up and one paddle to shift down.

Freeman 12-09-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylorbr (Post 575701)
this stuff allows you to adjust the code that controls the engine and transmission. With the paddle mod, when you pull the lever it will tell the TCU to shift up or down, acting like one of the tiptronic transmissions. You have one paddle to shift up and one paddle to shift down.

lol wut?
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...95/lol_wut.jpg

So... It's an automatic AND a manual?

svxistentialist 12-09-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSVX (Post 575692)
His signature might be a good place to start.:lol:

:rolleyes: No! :eek:

Well, when I asked the question Phil had no signature up. Maybe he was modifying it at the time? :)

Thanks for the steer Chris.

:)

svxistentialist 12-09-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 575708)
lol wut?
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...95/lol_wut.jpg

So... It's an automatic AND a manual?

Is that a serious question? :rolleyes:

It is an automatic that works as an auto if you leave it alone, or you can "force" gearchanges manually by pulling on either the up paddle or the down paddle.

Freeman 12-09-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 575717)
Is that a serious question? :rolleyes:

It is an automatic that works as an auto if you leave it alone, or you can "force" gearchanges manually by pulling on either the up paddle or the down paddle.

I'm not technically or mechanically inclined WHAT so ever. I'm a computer/gamer guy.. I normally just have OT or people on the forum explain it to me. I had to wiki this one.. lol. Oh well it's not for me anyway.. I can't drive manual..

svxistentialist 12-09-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 575722)
I'm not technically or mechanically inclined WHAT so ever. I'm a computer/gamer guy.. I normally just have OT or people on the forum explain it to me. I had to wiki this one.. lol. Oh well it's not for me anyway.. I can't drive manual..

Brett, the gearbox remains fully automatic. There are only 2 pedals, throttle and brake pedal.

The paddles allow you to physically pull a lever that causes the software in the auto transmission to select a lower or a higher gear.

You could drive this no problem.

Joe ;)

Freeman 12-09-2008 02:41 PM

I see.. I noticed from the pictures the things around the wheel.. I'm always worried to drive a manual in fear that I would simply muck things up. I know I'd find a way to mess up the tranny or break something.. I don't even do manual on Forza 2 cause I'm afraid I'd mess it up. Even with something like this.. If I'd make a mistake, the transmission would fix it?

Although, of course with most things, the more you do it the better you are at it. I just don't want to "re-learn" to drive..

Sov13t 12-09-2008 02:54 PM

Shelf... do the <picard>

K_Dub 12-09-2008 05:24 PM

Somebody build this, please. If anyone wants to take bait, and makes a kit for install, you can be sure you'd sell at least one of these. Just make sure it costs less than a 5mt swap. ;)

b3lha 12-10-2008 04:49 PM

I may try this as an experiment once I get my black SVX back on the road. Sometime after Christmas.