The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   First Solo I event this sat!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10252)

Phast SVX 04-23-2003 10:43 AM

First Solo I event this sat!!

Well i have my first ever autocross this weekend at 151 speedway outside of sun prarie. Im really starting to get a bit nervous, as i have no experience whatsoever, im not expecting to win but dont want to look like a fool. any suggestions would be great!
phil

wasions 04-23-2003 11:31 AM

Since you said autocross, I'll assume you meant Solo II, and not Solo I. They are very different. Go the the SCCA site for an explanation of the differences.

Suggestions?
Go really, really fast!

:D

Actually, keep your head, and think smoooooooth .

Have a great time. I've watched SVX's run, but I've never run mine. :mad: :eek:

Paxton71 04-23-2003 11:43 AM

Advice on autocrossing

Take out your spare (what, you were going to change a flat during your run?)

LAUNCH the start. The faster you are going when you cross the start line, the better. After the finish SLOWDAHELLDOWN! The corner workers will get pissed and report you if you try to practice a few more hot corners.

Brake later than your butt-cheeks tell you to brake. You'll be amazed how this thing stops when you stand on 'em.

Have fun and TALK TO PEOPLE to learn quickly.

Did I mention have fun?

Mr. Pockets 04-23-2003 11:53 AM

Re: Advice on autocrossing

Quote:

Originally posted by Paxton71
Brake later than your butt-cheeks tell you to brake. You'll be amazed how this thing stops when you stand on 'em.
I absolutely agree. The car does have 4-channel anti-lock brakes, after all. Besides the obvious strain on the car (which you're putting on it anyway by autocrossing), there's no reason you can't use those ABS brakes on dry pavement.

Paxton71 04-23-2003 12:02 PM

Advice on autocrossing

Take out your spare (what, you were going to change a flat during your run?)

LAUNCH the start. The faster you are going when you cross the start line, the better. After the finish SLOWDAHELLDOWN! The corner workers will get pissed and report you if you try to practice a few more hot corners.

Have fun and TALK TO PEOPLE to learn quickly.

Did I mention have fun?

Porter 04-23-2003 12:07 PM

Be smooth but don't be afraid to YANK the car in the direction you want it to go... the SVX is a great handler but only when the suspension is settled fully.

Settle it hard with a yank of the wheel when you're turning in and it will track better... of course, your mileage may vary depending on your driving style.

:D Enjoy!

Paxton71 04-23-2003 02:20 PM

Yank 'er

Porter:

I too noticed that once you get the weight shifted in the SVX, she'll settle down in the corner and turn better. Does this thing have passive 4 wheel steering built into the rear suspension geometry?

Chicane 04-23-2003 03:27 PM

Yes, it has passive rear wheel steering.

- Rob

seasvx 04-24-2003 01:14 PM

Re: First Solo I event this sat!!

Quote:

Originally posted by Phast SVX
...dont want to look like a fool.
listen, 35 yrs ago (jeez!) i started autocrossing in my unmodified 36hp English Ford Anglia. I already won the "looking like a fool" prize. In your SVX, you cannot compete with me for that.

rufus 04-24-2003 02:32 PM

Hey Phil. I'm right there with you on this one. I'm doing my first ever autocross this Sunday, and I am a little nervous, too. I think it will all go away very quickly when I actually get moving. I'm expecting to be the slowest guy there, but as far as the "fool" thing is concerned, well, everyone there had to start someplace, right :D

Keep me posted on how it goes for you. I think it is going to be a blast...

Earthworm 04-24-2003 09:15 PM

Having fun is a given!

It's actually much easier to run with the auto as you practically never leave first gear (depending on the course)

Emphasize on smooth corners and always look ahead and plan in advance. If you only look at the next gate you will never be smooth.

...also don't hit any cones :D

Chicane 04-25-2003 12:08 PM

I'm going to be there to digitally imortalize all your mistakes Phil. :D

hehe. J/king.

- Rob

Phast SVX 04-25-2003 12:31 PM

wow, thanks a lot for all the help everyone. Ill keep you all posted, and took it all to heart(i will defintly have fun!) rob is video taping it al, so i will maybe put a run on and maybe you all could give me some good criticism!
thanks alot and good luck to you rufus
phil

wasions 04-25-2003 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Phast SVX
wow, thanks a lot for all the help everyone. Ill keep you all posted, and took it all to heart(i will defintly have fun!) rob is video taping it al, so i will maybe put a run on and maybe you all could give me some good criticism!
thanks alot and good luck to you rufus
phil

Will he be sitting next to you with the camera?
That might be fun!
:eek:

Phast SVX 04-25-2003 09:41 PM

if he makes it in time for practice he may!
phil