The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Two aging personal luxury coupes... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61340)

davew833 02-21-2013 03:22 PM

Two aging personal luxury coupes...

1 Attachment(s)
I came out of my office at work yesterday to find a black '91 Infiniti M30 coupe parked next to my SVX. I couldn't help but take a picture and muse on the similarities and differences of the two cars.

The M30 is also a 2-door 6-cylinder engined GT touring coupe powered by Nissan's venerable VG30E V6 putting out approx. 162 hp & 180 ft/lbs. of torque into a 4-speed automatic transmission. It's RWD as opposed to the SVX's AWD or FWD, and is basically a rebadged version of Nissan's Japan-only Leopard that was added to the Infiniti lineup early on to accompany the clean-sheet-design Q45 in Infiniti showrooms. The M30 was only sold from 1990-92 and only about 12,000 were made, making it somewhat rarer than the SVX. It also came as a convertible. Like the SVX, it never sold very well. It was replaced by the odd-looking J30 sedan in 1993. All that being said, it was the closest thing we ever got in the USA to the coveted Nissan Skyline for a long time.

I worked for the local Infiniti dealership from 1991-93 and my boss had a black M30 just like this one. I never cared for it much on the occasions I drove it-- the design seemed bland and dated and aside from reasonable straight-line acceleration, it wasn't very fun to drive. We put aftermarket wheels on most of the ones we sold to try and dress them up a little, and I remember stacks and stacks of the OEM silver-painted directional alloys like the M30 in my picture has that we sold to a recycler for $5 each because no one else wanted them.

It's particularly rare to see a black M30 this nice anywhere these days. Oddly, the pearl white convertibles seem to be slightly more common in my area. I understand there are a few M30 enthusiast groups out there though and that it's not uncommon to modify them for drifting...

subeman90 02-22-2013 11:52 AM

Re: Two aging personal luxury coupes...

I like those cars. Yes teh wheels are lame but I really like the car. I can't say that I knew it was rear drive. hmmmm:D

pearlm30 02-22-2013 03:42 PM

Got one sitting in my garage:lol:

bwb3 02-22-2013 04:09 PM

So unassuming, clean generic design. It grows on you. A great potential performance "sleeper".
Gene

icingdeath88 02-22-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pearlm30 (Post 720313)
Got one sitting in my garage:lol:

A very nice example of one too. You should post some pics.