The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Great deal on snow tires! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55662)

Huskymaniac 10-06-2010 12:15 PM

Great deal on snow tires!

I just bought 4 of these and there are four left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/215-5...item255def207d

$50 for Blizzaks is a GREAT deal!

Huskymaniac 10-06-2010 01:01 PM

Re: Great deal on snow tires!

10 minutes after I posted this, someone bought the last 4. I hope it was one of you.

kwren 10-06-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 659574)
I just bought 4 of these and there are four left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/215-5...item255def207d

$50 for Blizzaks is a GREAT deal!

Good price but...
What are you going to do with them?:confused:
If a person has a clue how to drive in the snow, they certainly don't need snow tires on a SVX. Al-weather works like a dream.

Keith:cool:

StatGSR 10-06-2010 01:42 PM

^ are you serious? for one thing you can stop and turn with snow tires... All seasons don't work in the summer or the winter....

Huskymaniac 10-06-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatGSR (Post 659577)
^ are you serious? for one thing you can stop and turn with snow tires... All seasons don't work in the summer or the winter....

Yeah, crazy thing about traction...the more you have, the better off you are. Sure, I can keep control of my car driving racing slicks on 6" of snow. But it would take me a lot longer to get to work!

So did a forum member get these?

kwren 10-06-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatGSR (Post 659577)

^^Back to "driving 101":lol:

benebob 10-06-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 659576)
Good price but...
If a person has a clue how to drive in the snow, they certainly don't need snow tires on a SVX. Al-weather works like a dream.

Really, I always thought it was if a person had a clue how to drive in the snow they certainly don't need the penalties associated with AWD in the first place. As was already stated, real winter tires give you the opportunity to buy real summer tires not master of none all season crap.

Manarius 10-06-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 659583)
Really, I always thought it was if a person had a clue how to drive in the snow they certainly don't need the penalties associated with AWD in the first place. As was already stated, real winter tires give you the opportunity to buy real summer tires not master of none all season crap.

FWIW, a SVX equipped with snow tires only gets stopped by about 15 inches of snow; as experienced by me during the Februrary blizzard :lol:

Tony, my only advice would be to check the age of the tires when you receive them. If they're more than 3-5 years old, get your money back. 3-5 year old tires are more hassle than they're worth (read: tread separation is no fun).

Landshark 10-06-2010 03:35 PM

The SVX was a BEAST in the snow with some crappy Weatherhandler snow tires - much better than the LGT with Blizzaks. This was probably due to the SVX's FWD bias, and skinnier tires.

processengr 10-06-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 659589)
The SVX was a BEAST in the snow with some crappy Weatherhandler snow tires - much better than the LGT with Blizzaks. This was probably due to the SVX's FWD bias, and skinnier tires.

Does the LGT have LSD in rear like the SVX?

Crazy_pilot 10-06-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 659576)
Good price but...

Wearing no seatbelts also works like a dream, as long as you never hit something.

I drive in the snow and ice 5-ish months of the year. There are no "all season" tires that I would trust on my car once the snow is flying. AWD is great, but doesn't help you stop one bit. My snows might get me stopped a bit shorter, but if that extra 10 feet is the back end of a stopped semi then I got my money's worth out of them.

I also like getting the best cornering performance I can from my car during the summer, which means I run high performance "summer tires". Last year, just for kicks, I left them on for the first snowfall. My AWD tank couldn't climb a driveway with a slight grade.

kwren 10-06-2010 07:45 PM

Don't know about summer tires. Don't know about cheap all weather tires. Don't know about cheep snow tires.

All I know is that for the last 20 years I have driven Subaru's with premium M&S tires several thousand miles in snow conditions without a problem.

In most cases There were so many cars that had spun out beside the roads, including freeways that it reminded me of a war zone. From the conversation going on here, more than likely some of you were there beside the road as we drove by.

My 90 legacy brought me home several years ago from Reno on a highway that was actually closed to traffic. Only vehicle we saw was a big 4wd rig from Canada that was on our tail with us traveling 70-80- mph all the way. The snow was several feet deep on both sides of the road that it almost seemed like we were driving in a tunnel.

In the SVX a few years back I-5 north was closed and the whole freeway was like a parking lot. Hundreds of people spent the night on the freeway and many just got out and tried to walk home. My wife worked 25 miles away and got off work at midnight. I drove the 25 miles and picked her up and drove her home. I didn't see one car moving on I-5 north the whole 25 miles of my trip to pick her up.

I have mentioned several times that "we pray a lot".

Huskymaniac 10-06-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 659592)
Wearing no seatbelts also works like a dream, as long as you never hit something.

I drive in the snow and ice 5-ish months of the year. There are no "all season" tires that I would trust on my car once the snow is flying. AWD is great, but doesn't help you stop one bit. My snows might get me stopped a bit shorter, but if that extra 10 feet is the back end of a stopped semi then I got my money's worth out of them.

I also like getting the best cornering performance I can from my car during the summer, which means I run high performance "summer tires". Last year, just for kicks, I left them on for the first snowfall. My AWD tank couldn't climb a driveway with a slight grade.

You are talking crazy like you are a tire expert or something. ;-) Imagine, Blizzaks stopping or cornering better on black ice and snow than even the best all-season tires. And, imagine, wanting such a thing.

Two things I know to be true are:

1. Blizzaks are better than all-season tires on black ice (can't be seen) and snow.
2. If a man equates being wrong with being a failure or a loser and that man fears being a failure or a loser then that man will argue with anyone that does anything different than he does.

SoCal LS-L 10-06-2010 08:08 PM

My SVX made it over wintry Mt Rose pass countless times when I worked in Incline with just A/S tires. Just had to be careful.

On the other hand anyone who has done a good amount of winter driving in mountains on snow tires can appreciate how much grippier they are, especially when you need to stop fast on a downgrade. They give you more traction to play with.

So we are all right, the SVX is awesome in the snow, but even better with snow tires.

Coan 10-06-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 659612)
2. If a man equates being wrong with being a failure or a loser and that man fears being a failure or a loser then that man will argue with anyone that does anything different than he does.

LOL so true. :lol:

I run a set of dedicated snow tires on my WRX in the winter, and all I can say is 350+ hp and AWD equipped with snow tires is the most fun I've ever had in any car. :D

I ran all-season tires for years on all my cars, but ever since I switched, I'll never buy another set of all-seasons for anything. When it's time for new tires on the SVX, it will get two sets - one dedicated to winter and one for summer.