The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   this is puzzling and was wondering if anyone could shed some light (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50343)

Gamesy 05-21-2009 10:16 PM

this is puzzling and was wondering if anyone could shed some light

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...:X:RTQ:CA:1123

The guy says its an old JDM STi tranny from a GC

"Please remember that when Subaru parts are Mentioned as Version numbers these units are JDM spec. Japan had STI way before we got them Ver II is from 95-96 era GC8C Body car (Impreza) so this Transmission is from a 95-96 car with low Kms."

i'd would like to know your thoughts on it.
Thanks.

1986nate 05-22-2009 03:32 AM

Re: this is puzzling and was wondering if anyone could shed some light

It won't work. The SVX TCU won't be able to communicate with it correctly

Gamesy 05-22-2009 10:58 AM

Thanks again man!

Gamesy 05-22-2009 11:00 AM

wont i have that same issue with the TCU if i use a legacy/impreza/forester auto tranny?

svxistentialist 05-22-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamesy (Post 602386)
wont i have that same issue with the TCU if i use a legacy/impreza/forester auto tranny?

There are two problems with using a JDM gearbox on your North American SVX:
  1. It will not have the 3.54 final drive, more probably 3.7 or 3.9 or even lower, so you would need a rear diff with the same ratio to match.
  2. It will be a VTD type gearbox with the centre diff distribution. USA and Canada SVXes have the ACT-4 type gearbox. Aside from possible small difference like the SS2 location, what this means is that the USA gearbox computer [TCU] will have the wrong control programmes in place for this gearbox.
Just as a matter for your future reference you would need not to buy an auto trans from any turboed Japanese car; these will all be the VTD type.

However, should you manage to buy a gearbox from either a Legacy or an Impreza 2.0i naturally aspirated, it is almost certain these gearboxes will be the correct type [ACT-4] and all you might need to modify would be getting the matching rear diff.

Joe

svxistentialist 05-22-2009 12:46 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention you need to look for auto trans from '97 or earlier. Some of the later 4EAT cars use the paddle shift type, these will not work in the SVX either, unless you are an auto wiring guru or genius.

Joe ;)

Gamesy 05-22-2009 01:10 PM

lol thanks for the info. as it stands today i'll be hooking the starter to the tranny to see if i can get the damn thing to turn into place, if not i know something on the inside is gone :(
good news is i found an SVX auto tranny for 600 + shipping but not sure if its too pricey or not or i might just opt out and swap in a wrx5spd since i cant afford an STi tranny

longassname 05-23-2009 10:02 AM

Any used automatic transmission you get is just going to break again and will still be slow and sloppy when thrown into an svx. The people who do the 4.44 swaps have to immediately adjust the brake band just to get them to shift right with each install because of the increased slippage the boxes have when bolted into a heavy SVX. OT almost refuses to install 4.11's because the change in gear ratio isn't enough to make up for the weaker clutches and it's hard to get them to shift right. The simple truth is that switching to any other transmission is a downgrade. The only reason people have been swaping in different autos is because that's what they could afford. The SVX transmission has the strongest clutch pack assortment of any phase one 4eat and I'm selling my partial rebuilds which are a huge upgrade over the oe transmission so inexpensively that there's really no reason to even consider going some other route.

I rebuild and upgrade SVX transmisions so they no longer have the weaknesses which cause them to fail. My tansmissions shift smoothly and lightning fast.

Gamesy 05-23-2009 10:58 AM

how much do you sell the partial rebuilds for? and i'm assuming rebuilding an automatic tranny is a a pretty big project especially for one who's never done it b4?

Quote:

Originally Posted by longassname (Post 602481)
Any used automatic transmission you get is just going to break again and will still be slow and sloppy when thrown into an svx. The people who do the 4.44 swaps have to immediately adjust the brake band just to get them to shift right with each install because of the increased slippage the boxes have when bolted into a heavy SVX. OT almost refuses to install 4.11's because the change in gear ratio isn't enough to make up for the weaker clutches and it's hard to get them to shift right. The simple truth is that switching to any other transmission is a downgrade. The only reason people have been swaping in different autos is because that's what they could afford. The SVX transmission has the strongest clutch pack assortment of any phase one 4eat and I'm selling my partial rebuilds which are a huge upgrade over the oe transmission so inexpensively that there's really no reason to even consider going some other route.

I rebuild and upgrade SVX transmisions so they no longer have the weaknesses which cause them to fail. My tansmissions shift smoothly and lightning fast.

longassname 05-23-2009 01:01 PM

$999 +$750 core charge which the shipping is deducted from.
http://www.ecutune.com/4eat.htm

Since you're in Canada the shipping is probably about $400 each way (from past experience) so you are probably better off just paying the $1749 and not sending a core back.

Yes an automatic transmission rebuild is well beyond the abilities of the average do it yourselfer..and a 4eat rebuild/upgrade is well beyond the abilities of the average professional automatic transmission rebuilder.

1986nate 05-23-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longassname (Post 602506)
$999 +$750 core charge which the shipping is deducted from.
http://www.ecutune.com/4eat.htm

Since you're in Canada the shipping is probably about $400 each way (from past experience) so you are probably better off just paying the $1749 and not sending a core back.

Yes an automatic transmission rebuild is well beyond the abilities of the average do it yourselfer..and a 4eat rebuild/upgrade is well beyond the abilities of the average professional automatic transmission rebuilder.

How much is it for just the parts to do the partial rebuild???

Gamesy 05-23-2009 07:39 PM

jeeze there's a tranny shop that said they could rebuild the thing for 1500 :S
might as well get that done

1986nate 05-24-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamesy (Post 602525)
jeeze there's a tranny shop that said they could rebuild the thing for 1500 :S
might as well get that done

Just make sure they know what they're actually doing... It is a lot more involved than the average trans rebuild.