The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   climate control issue (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51762)

tiv0 09-22-2009 09:29 PM

climate control issue

The other day I turned on DEFROST at the medium setting and within a few minutes I heard a "beep" like I had pushed a button and air started blowing full speed out of my vents. All of the climate buttons were lighted and my temp gauge showed no numbers. I was unable to select any option so I let it be thinking it may fix itself when I turn off the vehicle. But here I sit with the same complex and I don't know what to do. I've checked all the fuses that I thought might have anything to do with the A/C but they're all fine.
Any help?

Here's some pictures of what I see everytime I turn the car on:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_6xpLp11XrKg/Sr...2091707-00.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_6xpLp11XrKg/Sr...2092210-00.jpg

SoCal LS-L 09-22-2009 10:50 PM

Re: climate control issue

I dont believe a fuse would be it.... it really seems as if you have a short somewhere. The climate control computer may be to blame.... have you tried see if it will self test for any codes?

tiv0 09-23-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 618774)
I dont believe a fuse would be it.... it really seems as if you have a short somewhere. The climate control computer may be to blame.... have you tried see if it will self test for any codes?

need to check.

oab_au 09-24-2009 05:02 PM

When you get a whole lot of things going on with a unit, it is likely that there is a grounding problem.

Harvey.

trophy956 09-24-2009 05:15 PM

hi since the unit lights up try disconnecting the battery and see if it resets
charlie

tiv0 09-24-2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trophy956 (Post 618988)
hi since the unit lights up try disconnecting the battery and see if it resets
charlie

tried that first, no good

still need to see if there are any codes...work and school are keeping me from it

lhopp77 09-25-2009 07:41 AM

Its pretty common to have electrical problems when an aftermarket sound unit is installed. Some of the same circuits are involved and as noted above it is frequently a messed up ground. Every car that I have bought with aftermarket sound systems has had a problem that needed correcting. One of them was the ground.

Lee

sowise 09-25-2009 08:03 AM

I would suggest pulling fuses out for the systems that you don't need until you find the one that is interfering with your climate control. If you have all the fuses out and still have a climate control issue then it could be the unit. But starting with things like the radio fuse would be a good indicator and not difficult to do.

tiv0 09-27-2009 05:35 PM

I attempted to check the codes for the climate control unit but was provided with no results. The temp. display shows nothing. After letting the car warm up, turning off the engine, holding 'auto' and 'off' and turning key to ON, all i hear are noises coming from behind the dash; first from behind the pass. side dash, and then from behind the actual climate control unit.

SoCal LS-L 09-27-2009 07:45 PM

It really sounds like a short in the panel or in the computer. I dont think a ground or fuse would make all of the buttons light up weird like that. If you can find a parts car then swap the climate control unit, if not then at least take it off and inspect the connection, wiring, and internals for corrosion or a bad connection.

tiv0 10-16-2009 10:03 PM

update on this, for those who may experience this in the future

took the car into the dealership
my mechanic told me the climate control head unit was bad and needed replaced.
when he told me a new one would run me about $650 i considered just living with the no heat/cooling...but then he brought up the option of selling me one he had lying around from his previous svx for $75.

Always happy to save myself $575...

NeedForSpeed 10-16-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiv0 (Post 621746)
update on this, for those who may experience this in the future

took the car into the dealership
my mechanic told me the climate control head unit was bad and needed replaced.
when he told me a new one would run me about $650 i considered just living with the no heat/cooling...but then he brought up the option of selling me one he had lying around from his previous svx for $75.

Always happy to save myself $575...

I had one go bad, just like yours, all the lights. It would correct, then do it again, etc. Swapped in another unit, no problems since. I'm wondering if I wiped the buttons with something too damp a long time back, maybe caused a problem. Is everything okay now?

tiv0 10-16-2009 11:04 PM

According to the mechanic everything is fine and in perfect working condition; sadly, i wasnt able to get to the dealership today to get my car back because of work...svx is sleeping in the dealership garage over the weekend. I'm picking it up monday.

NeedForSpeed 10-16-2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiv0 (Post 621753)
According to the mechanic everything is fine and in perfect working condition; sadly, i wasnt able to get to the dealership today to get my car back because of work...svx is sleeping in the dealership garage over the weekend. I'm picking it up monday.

Sounds great, should be good to go!