The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Ripped off? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49734)

oregondave 04-02-2009 04:50 PM

Ripped off?

So as some of you may have heard it appears that I may have been ripped off in a transaction that I did with a member who posted parts for sale here. Apparently he's got no cash in his paypal account and so they can't get it back for me. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Should I call the county sheriff's office where he lives? File a smail claims case?

Thanks for your help.
David

redlightningsvx 04-02-2009 05:03 PM

Re: Ripped off?

Who was it so were all aware of your situation?

Blacky 04-02-2009 05:35 PM

It's been my experience that Paypal is for sellers. It's nearly impossible to get your money back when you've been scammed. Paypal should cover you and then try and retrieve the money. They make a hefty profit margin on every transaction and they're part of Ebay so they have millions and millions of dollars in profits each year.

Ya, who scammed you?

oregondave 04-02-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 595098)
Who was it so were all aware of your situation?

Chicosvx

Its been a month since I paid him. A couple weeks ago after hearing nothing from him and seeing other people getting nervous I called him only to find his vm full. That's when I went to paypal. Now, apparently its my fault that his paypal account is suspended and he can't do business. I guess when someone doesn't follow through, seemingly dissapears, and has a full vm box its time to continue to be patient?!?!

stiguy 04-02-2009 11:13 PM

you buy rear lights right? i was up there yesterday i was getting parts was looking through parts in the trunk he saw the lights and said "o i sold these i need to send them"--- i asked where you sending them ---- he said " to a guy in oregon. .... i think he just forgot. by the way the lights looked good:)

essveeexxee 04-02-2009 11:50 PM

10 characters.

Splinter 04-03-2009 12:07 AM

He told me he sent out my parts 2 weeks ago. They haven't arrived yet, but customs can take a while. If they aren't here early next week I'll be filing against him too.

Maxo 04-03-2009 06:32 AM

When using paypal to send money to any questionable seller I've found it safest to use my credit card as the funding source, usually on ebay. Credit card companies will almost always credit your account immediately after you open a dispute.

bheinen74 04-03-2009 07:21 AM

my only time I filed a complaint and the seller had no money in their account, it took paypal like 45 days on the dispute, and I only got a partial refund. Item i bought was 70 and they refunded me 40. I never received the item, and the Ebay account was closed by the time the dispute was over. So, if the funds aren't in the account, you will only get partial refund. stinks

I am in the US, the seller was Canada. I now avoid buying from out the states

oregondave 04-03-2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiguy (Post 595141)
you buy rear lights right? i was up there yesterday i was getting parts was looking through parts in the trunk he saw the lights and said "o i sold these i need to send them"--- i asked where you sending them ---- he said " to a guy in oregon. .... i think he just forgot. by the way the lights looked good:)

Nope not me!

oregondave 04-03-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bheinen74 (Post 595156)
my only time I filed a complaint and the seller had no money in their account, it took paypal like 45 days on the dispute, and I only got a partial refund. Item i bought was 70 and they refunded me 40. I never received the item, and the Ebay account was closed by the time the dispute was over. So, if the funds aren't in the account, you will only get partial refund. stinks

I am in the US, the seller was Canada. I now avoid buying from out the states

Paypal already ruled in my favor but said that there's no money in the account to pay me back. I used a visa debit card so I'll see what if anything my bank can do.

Green1995SVX 04-03-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oregondave (Post 595170)
Paypal already ruled in my favor but said that there's no money in the account to pay me back. I used a visa debit card so I'll see what if anything my bank can do.

You should be covered. Paypal will then be forced to refund your money, and it will then be Paypal's problem to go after the guy. :)

Alcyone 04-03-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 595174)
You should be covered. Paypal will then be forced to refund your money, and it will then be Paypal's problem to go after the guy. :)

dont mean to mock, but LOL @ notion of forcing PAYPAL to do anything

ive had my fair share of dealing with them
they are completely inept when it comes to customer service.
if you stray outside of their lines of the usual procedure, you're ****ed
if the seller ****s you, you're ****ed
if you bought something on tueseday, you're ****ed

that is a general rundown of paypals policy

LetItSnow 04-03-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcyone (Post 595199)
dont mean to mock, but LOL @ notion of forcing PAYPAL to do anything

I've had nothing but success, in contrast.

My wife's M&T account got theft'd a few years ago. A number of things were purchased, many of which were via a PayPal account that was opened. PayPal was able to reimburse the lost funds. M&T didn't help much at all.

PayPal was also able to reimburse me for my transaction with the scum from Vineland: <link>

oregondave 04-03-2009 05:13 PM

Update: filed a claim with my bank and they are crediting my account the amount. Sweet.