The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MOTHERF******** SNOW - SVX vs Curb (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23914)

rmjjensen 01-19-2005 12:02 PM

MOTHERF******** SNOW - SVX vs Curb

curb wins.

Coming around the bend in my apartment complex and I just kept going straight. The wheels (now parallel with the curb) smashed into the curb and took a nice chunk out of the front right rim. Not too worried about that.

More worried that the wheels are straight when the wheel is turned so that subaru is now at 90 degrees. Any ideas?

I'm so F***** MAD RIGHT NOW IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY.

NapaBavarian 01-19-2005 12:10 PM

Allignment

Earthworm 01-19-2005 12:19 PM

Re: MOTHERF******** SNOW - SVX vs Curb

Quote:

Originally posted by rmjjensen
More worried that the wheels are straight when the wheel is turned so that subaru is now at 90 degrees. Any ideas?
Sorry to hear about what happened. Unfortunately I don't understand what you said here.

Pearlywhites1992 01-19-2005 12:25 PM

and I just kept going straight.

...sounds familiar. Be thankful that's all that happened!
I have my stock rims laying around if you want 'em cheap.

rmjjensen 01-19-2005 12:29 PM

Like ....all four wheels on the car are straight, but the steering wheel is sitting perpendicular to where it should be. Do you think a simple alignment is all that's wrong?

Maybe when I'm not fuming with anger I'll go out there with my roommate and have him move the steering wheel so I can check out what the wheels are doing. I guess I hope it's nothing major but it didn't feel too good when it happened. Car didn't buck or stall or anything, goes through the gears alright - I hear no bindings.

But I'm still furious that this BS happened right outside my apartment after my long drive home perfectly fine. I guess it's good that I bouned off the curb and not into the brook.

Ciscokid 01-19-2005 01:33 PM

No..be happy you didn't slide into a roadway at a T intersection and get nailed by a Ford Excursion. I had said privilege the day after X-Mas. My car should be done tomorrow. Thank God for the tank-like construction of the SVX. (The cost to repair the car was 75% of what I paid for it, so that sukked really bad)

I wish I had had a curb to run into instead :)

rmjjensen 01-19-2005 02:14 PM

yes this is true - not really major. Just makes me mad that this friggen place never does anything right.

When I was going to take pics it turns out 4 other cars hit the curb during turning. This was in maybe a 10minute period. Kia ...loyal...ocivic....some bomb pickup truck.

Seems like I might have a bent control arm or something - the wheel is sitting pretty far back and rubs when I steer all the way to the right.

Pics: http://www.expertwebcreations.com/pe.../svx/accident/

Earthworm 01-19-2005 03:02 PM

The main thing is everyone is ok.

I do hope that we all learn from our mistakes. I learned in my first year of owning my SVX that it's not immune to road conditions. I caused $7000 in damage to mine by sliding into a traffic light. Now I have winter tires and take extreme caution in all my driving regardless of road condition. I'm also more aware of the vehicles around me and always give extra space around me to ensure other drivers can recover from their mistakes or at least give me room to get out of the way.

beans svx 01-19-2005 04:07 PM

sorry to hear that i did the same thing a bit ago
my a arm was twisted like a pretzle
good luck fixin it:)

Pearlywhites1992 01-19-2005 04:54 PM

I learned in my first year of owning my SVX

Yup, me too. I've had a slight vibration at highway speeds
ever since, and it's never been found. I even bought new
rims for nothing!

sharky512345 01-19-2005 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rmjjensen
Seems like I might have a bent control arm or something - the wheel is sitting pretty far back and rubs when I steer all the way to the right.

Pics: http://www.expertwebcreations.com/pe.../svx/accident/

That sounds like what just happened to someone's legacy here. they were going around a corner too fast, tried to stop or turn, but hit the curb. He chipped part out of the rim, bend the control arm, had to have the alignment done (it was off about 90*), and actually had frame damage to the car. He hit the front right side of the car. Hope your car isn't as damaged as his was:(

SHISVX 01-20-2005 01:55 PM

deep breath and a hug will help maybe?

sorry man :(

Kelli

SilverSpear 01-20-2005 02:04 PM

man! I am sorry about your accident. Be careful next time, the SVX's weight lies in its front, so it can be tricky on snowy curves..

Pearlywhites1992 01-20-2005 03:54 PM

the SVX's weight lies in its front, so it can be tricky on snowy curves..

Boy did I fight THAT symptom all day long today.
We Northeners are pretty good at feeling the tires slip,
through our butts, so why are all the Nascar drivers
Southerners? Look at what just happened in NC,
after just an inch of snow! "ja ever wonder?"

rmjjensen 01-20-2005 04:33 PM

Its amazing ...I was not going fast - made it my entire way home from work flawless and cautiously. But oh well ......I'm still pissed.

But I don't know what to do. I'm in south jersey right now (glassboro) to be exact and I don't really want to drive the car very far. I need to take it somewhere that'll be able to check out the car for me to tell me what's bent.

Any ideas?