The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   HELP! Rounded off bolt! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5446)

ehyde111 08-18-2002 03:49 PM

HELP! Rounded off bolt!

I was trying to change my spark plugs today and rounded off the bolt holding the coil in for the back plug on the driver's side. My question... How do you loosed a bolt that is rounded off???

Please help.

Thanks
Chris

lee 08-18-2002 06:22 PM

depends on how much it got rounded off. try an eight point socket vice the 16 (if that's what you were using), that sometimes does the trick. I know what I'd do if it was rounded more than the aqbove could handle (hint: vicegrips pliers), but I'd hold off hoping somebody with common sense chimes in (hint #2: I'm one of those fools who rush in were angels fear to tread - usually with good reason).

LarryIII 08-18-2002 06:47 PM

There's that multiple pin socket that is advertised on TV.
I think Sears makes one too.

ehyde111 08-18-2002 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
There's that multiple pin socket that is advertised on TV.
I think Sears makes one too.

Not nearly enough room to use this. Thanks though.

Quote:

I know what I'd do if it was rounded more than the aqbove could handle (hint: vicegrips pliers), but I'd hold off hoping somebody with common sense chimes in (hint #2: I'm one of those fools who rush in were angels fear to tread - usually with good reason).
That may be the route I have to take. Finding a replacement bolt is going to be a chore.

When would be the best time to try... warm or cool engine???

THanks again

:confused:

lee 08-18-2002 07:32 PM

Cold is best. Heat increases chance of stripping out threads (difference in heat expansion of steel and aluminum.

I_Alcyone_I 08-18-2002 08:00 PM

if you have a dremel or similar type tool you could drill cross slots and put a phillips head of sorts in there(actualy screw driver with vice grips for leverage, phillips head inside of a socket. be creative)

If you do end up doing that make sure to drill somewhat deep slots so you dont strip that out too.

Guess i should add that should be a sort of last resort option. cause if those strip out too you gonna end up having to drill the thing out.

Mr. Pockets 08-19-2002 08:30 AM

Man, I am so glad I didn't do THAT when I replaced my plugs. I had every other problem - but not that one. :)

I just saw a set of tools at Sears yesterday that were designed to remove rounded-off bolts. But you have to hammer them on to the head, and I dbout you have the room.

My only other idea is to use a dremel grinding wheel (probably three or four of 'em - they don't last long :)) to just take the entire head off the bolt. Then you could remove the coil and have the whole length of the bolt to grab on to with a vice-grip or something similar.

ehyde111 08-19-2002 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Man, I am so glad I didn't do THAT when I replaced my plugs. I had every other problem - but not that one. :)

I just saw a set of tools at Sears yesterday that were designed to remove rounded-off bolts. But you have to hammer them on to the head, and I dbout you have the room.

My only other idea is to use a dremel grinding wheel (probably three or four of 'em - they don't last long :)) to just take the entire head off the bolt. Then you could remove the coil and have the whole length of the bolt to grab on to with a vice-grip or something similar.

Thanks, I agree there wouldn't be enough room for the first idea. As for the second, don't think that would work either. There is threading on the coil itself and it would still be stuck in.

rufus 08-19-2002 02:48 PM

I'm currently restoring a 50 year old truck, and every bolt on it is rusted or rounded off. Craftsman makes a spring loaded camming-type wrench that I have had good luck with. As long as there is some reasonably flat surface remaining, it seems to get a pretty good bite. You just have to be patient and apply pressure VERY gradually, or you're asking for busted knuckles. Needle-nose Vise grips clamped on really really tight (so that they actually bite into to bolt a bit) should work too. You could also try cutting a slot in the head with a Dremel tool cut-off wheel, and get a flat blade screwdriver attachment for your 3/8" socket wrench. Put that in the slot and break it out that way. Method three I almost guarantee will work if done correctly, but it is a lot more work than the first two, and a little more dangerous in those close confines.

Good luck. I feel your pain.

;)

Mr. Pockets 08-19-2002 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ehyde111

Thanks, I agree there wouldn't be enough room for the first idea. As for the second, don't think that would work either. There is threading on the coil itself and it would still be stuck in.

I disagree. I mean, yeah, there's threading in the coil body. But the bolt has a 'smooth' portion below the head (A 'shoulder' - is that what it's called? I forget...) that doesn't bite into the coil. Loosen the bolt out of the cylinder head, and it stays in the coil body, but moves freely.

In other words, if you noticed on the other coils, you don't have to pull the bolt ALL the way out to get the coil out - you just have to get it out of the cylinder head.

So, I stand by my idea - unless you find that there's no room. :) And, if there is, cutting a slot in the head and using a standard screw bit in a socket (as rufus suggested) is also a good option.

Oh, and lacking a Dremel, there are really small saws that use hacksaw blades - that'd probably fit...but take longer.

Mr. Pockets 08-19-2002 03:07 PM

It just occurred to me that I rounded off a bolt securing my alternator in my Toyota truck. A friend stopped by, used my drill to put a hole right through the side of the head, and then stuck a screwdriver in the hole to bang on.

Worked great. :)

Of course, I doubt very much that there's room in this case, but maybe this'll work for somebody searching for a solution another day. :)

ehyde111 08-19-2002 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I disagree. I mean, yeah, there's threading in the coil body. But the bolt has a 'smooth' portion below the head (A 'shoulder' - is that what it's called? I forget...) that doesn't bite into the coil. Loosen the bolt out of the cylinder head, and it stays in the coil body, but moves freely.

In other words, if you noticed on the other coils, you don't have to pull the bolt ALL the way out to get the coil out - you just have to get it out of the cylinder head.

So, I stand by my idea - unless you find that there's no room. :) And, if there is, cutting a slot in the head and using a standard screw bit in a socket (as rufus suggested) is also a good option.

Oh, and lacking a Dremel, there are really small saws that use hacksaw blades - that'd probably fit...but take longer.

OK, I know what you mean. It's not threaded all the way up. Thanks