The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   windshield wiper blades (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51976)

Jvan 10-13-2009 11:03 AM

windshield wiper blades

Time to change blades and there are so many choices/brands. Some of the old standards are a few bucks and some silicone are $20+. Consumer reports recommended Anco or Michelin RainForce but I've seen recommendations for Bosch icon, Piaa Super Silicone, RainX Latitude, and Valeo 600 series. The svx uses two different length for the driver/passenger and another one for the rear.Any suggestions/recommendations? Here in lower NY, we don't usually get extremes of rain/snow/ice or heat but when it's raining heavy, I'd like to see in the dark/mist without smirring the windshield and have the best value for my money whether it;s $7 or $20+

SoCal LS-L 10-13-2009 11:57 AM

Re: windshield wiper blades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jvan (Post 621313)
Time to change blades and there are so many choices/brands. Some of the old standards are a few bucks and some silicone are $20+. Consumer reports recommended Anco or Michelin RainForce but I've seen recommendations for Bosch icon, Piaa Super Silicone, RainX Latitude, and Valeo 600 series. The svx uses two different length for the driver/passenger and another one for the rear.Any suggestions/recommendations? Here in lower NY, we don't usually get extremes of rain/snow/ice or heat but when it's raining heavy, I'd like to see in the dark/mist without smirring the windshield and have the best value for my money whether it;s $7 or $20+

A quick forum search brings ample threads and info regarding this subject.......

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=wiper+blades

+1 for the search function..... ;)

BoxerFanatic 10-13-2009 12:26 PM

I just put ANCO frameless blades on my SVX. 22" driver, 20" passenger, 18" rear. They fit great.

(I also re-painted the wiper arms and the metal windshield cowl panel while I was at it... bare metal not good for the winter. Mar-hyde trim-black looks so much better.)

The Ancos were on sale 2 for the price of one at O'Reilly Auto Parts, I believe through October 20th, or something. They came higher recommended than the Bosch Icons. I haven't had them out in the weather myself yet, but supposedly they have a bit more silicone content in the rubber, which is a good thing, and helps keep them from wearing so fast, and keeps them pliable in the cold, like "winter blades".

I have one Valeo blade on my Legacy (had to buy a Michelin blade for the passenger side, as the store was out of stock of the smaller size) and it is quite good, but harder to find, unless you want to mail-order. The Michelin blade, along with two more on the Miata, do ok... they are starting to get streaky, though... I have one more new Anco, and may pick up two more before the sale ends... to finish off the Legacy and Miata.

3 cars... and 4 18 inch blades between them, plus a 24, 22, and 20 inch blade, between the two subarus.

I do wish my Legacy had the rear wiper that Japan and other countries got, that the US built legacys did not. I sure like it on the SVX.

Jvan 10-13-2009 12:27 PM

Thanks. I tried the forum search before posting and nothing showed up. I guess I needed to include the wiper + blades not just wiper blades. That other thread didn't really reach a recommendation on blades. Many recommended the Bosch blades and some the cheap rubber blades but nothing about the new silicone or the new blades w/out spring clips. I guess it's amatter of person choice and price.

BoxerFanatic 10-13-2009 12:47 PM

The 2-for-1 deal is big. Each blade costs 14-18$ roughly. 4 blades would have cost ~$60, but I got 4 for (all three SVX sizes, and another 18" for the Miata or the Legacy...) for 42$ including tax, and a 4$ relay to fix the intermittent start issue on the SVX...

I may go back before the deal expires, and get two more 18" blades, to completely fit the Legacy passenger side, and both Miata blades... The Legacy driver's side has a Valeo that is still going well.

Another 40$ for two pairs of headlight bulbs for the Miata and SVX low-beams... and those being the cheapie Sylvanias from Walmart.

Seems like $100 doesn't go as far as it used to, in terms of consumable auto supplies.

This week, it is going to be 15 quarts of motor oil, and three oil filters... and changing 12 wheels over to snow tires for the season, on all three cars. (SVX getting it's Michelin all-seasons that I picked up from Anthony Buchanan a couple weeks back... thanks again, they cleaned up great, and got their re-balance now...)

I am not sure what has colluded to get them all to need their oil changes all at once, mileage wise... but I guess that is what happens sometimes. I wish my good aluminum jack weren't out of commission... :D

And here's crossing my fingers to not get another cross-threaded, broken wheel lug and stud on the SVX again... No impact gun on those wheels ever again. Knocking on wood, rabbit's foot, praying, whatever....

ensteele 10-13-2009 10:21 PM

I use the ANCO as well. I like them. :)

dcarrb 10-14-2009 05:44 AM

Another vote here for ANCO.

dcb

msvx95 10-14-2009 07:05 AM

I just bought Anco Contour blades for my truck and they feel like spring steel that apply evenly to the windshield surface. They work well for me so far.

Green1995SVX 10-14-2009 12:41 PM

I have bosch icons on my svx. Technically, the only wipers that fit properly are the ones from Subaru. They have special nubs on them and a built in spoiler.

Jvan 10-14-2009 01:09 PM

The 2 for 1 deal sounds good but I found the sane deal on another forum at Pepboys for the Bosch icons. Since there is no 'reilys near but but there is a Pepboys,cost will be the deciding factor.I need to get 3 blades for the SVX, 2 for a Forester and 2 for my Impala, 2 for my pickup, 2 for the jeep. 11 at half price will be a savings..

Hop 10-15-2009 07:21 PM

I've tried the rainX lattitudes and liked them so much I put them on all of my cars (4) as well as my kids cars(5). I like the looks of them as well as the performance. I've had them on my Outback for over a year and have used them hard (lots of mud) and they seem to be holding up very well.

Jvan 10-15-2009 07:44 PM

The Pepboys discount for the Bosch is good until Nov. 15th but it appears that it's not for the icons. Need to check it out more.

kwren 10-15-2009 07:53 PM

Bosch icons is a whole new world.

Keith:cool:

zavikan 10-15-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 621466)
I have bosch icons on my svx. Technically, the only wipers that fit properly are the ones from Subaru. They have special nubs on them and a built in spoiler.

Thats a thumbs up for mentioning the stock blades and a thumbs down for not HAVING THEM. shame mike. shame....feel it.

I personally smacked myself around for paying for the stock blades for my svx...but seeing the prices of the bosch icon style (which I have on my sonata), its almost economical to go stock. And like mike said. Stock fits better, has an integrated spoiler for highway rain...and is more low-profile than the bulky bosch icon styles.

Jvan 10-16-2009 11:01 AM

Do any of these high tech blade manufactures make replacement inserts so that you can still use the stock wiper holder w/the windwing? Use to be, that's all I would do. Buy replacement blades and just remove the worn wiper and install the replacement.