The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   I Go To Court Tommorow... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43476)

SomethingElse 02-27-2008 02:33 AM

I Go To Court Tommorow...

Over a month ago I received a ticket for running a red light. I think im gonna plead guilty.It was really bad. my wife looked at me and said "What the **** were you thinking?" Im going to try and explain (make excuses) to the judge on why it happened. something like ...I normally dont drive like that, I just bought the car that night and got back into town wanted to push it a bit, show it off. My friends were waiting for me.

I would have just paid the ticket but fines in VA are wetoddid. They want $195 for running a red light. I understand its not a good idea to run a red light but damn! I get nervous when standing in front of a judge so I need to sound convincing and confident..............im screwed.:(

NikFu S. 02-27-2008 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomethingElse (Post 531006)
something like ..., I just bought the car that night and got back into town wanted to push it a bit, show it off. My friends were waiting for me.

Don't say this. Tell them you hesitated, your timing was off, you had something in your eye..

When I run red lights my excuse is usually "the ground is covered with ice and I can't stop this 8000lbs of truck within the distance given", not that I've ever had to use that excuse on anyone.

ridered777 02-27-2008 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S. (Post 531008)
Don't say this. Tell them you hesitated, your timing was off, you had something in your eye..

When I run red lights my excuse is usually "the ground is covered with ice and I can't stop this 8000lbs of truck within the distance given", not that I've ever had to use that excuse on anyone.

Exactly what he said.

That showing off thing is the LAST thing you want to say to a judge.

Perhaps, you were FATIGUED (do NOT say tired or sleepy!) possibly, so by the time you realized the light turned to yellow, you felt it hazardous to attempt to stop the vehicle.

Perhaps you could say you had an important passenger (mother, first date, etc) so you thought you could make it, and avoid slamming on the brakes and being a poor host and digging the seatbelt into them... :rolleyes:

dcarrb 02-27-2008 06:19 AM

My one time in traffic court wasn't even a courtroom as I'd expected, but in the judge's office. (Small town.) I'd rolled my then-wife's Subaru GL hatchback and been charged with "too fast for conditions." He called me in, asked what happened, I told him I was a tragic victim of my own stupidity, he laughed and fined me and I was out of there within minutes.

Don't BS; that's so lame. Tell the truth and put it behind you and get on down the road.

dcb

RSVX 02-27-2008 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 531023)

Don't BS; that's so lame. Tell the truth and put it behind you and get on down the road.

dcb

+89703659873245

ensteele 02-27-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 531023)
My one time in traffic court wasn't even a courtroom as I'd expected, but in the judge's office. (Small town.) I'd rolled my then-wife's Subaru GL hatchback and been charged with "too fast for conditions." He called me in, asked what happened, I told him I was a tragic victim of my own stupidity, he laughed and fined me and I was out of there within minutes.

dcb

Be honest. The judge will know if you are trying to BS or not. :o Remember, he sees people every day who are in your same situation. :)

SubaSteevo 02-27-2008 09:17 AM

Considering it sounds like you deliberately ran the red light, I think you're getting off easy with a $195 fine.

SomethingElse 02-27-2008 09:22 AM

My timing was off, way off...dont get me wrong im ready to accept responsibility 4 my actions, I would like to convince him or her that I dont drive like that on a daily basis, because I dont:D I havent had a ticket in over 6-7 years I have calmed down alot!

awsome input...:cool:

RSVX 02-27-2008 09:27 AM

Tell him that you wife is a nag, she was nagging, and you promise that you will never have her in your car again...:lol:

Hocrest 02-27-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSVX (Post 531059)
Tell him that you wife is a nag, she was nagging, and you promise that you will never have her in your car again...:lol:

If the justice is a "her", this is definitely not the story to go with ;)

nextse7en 02-27-2008 09:38 AM

I wouldn't say much at all, but take responsibility. Something like "I did it, it was a mistake, and I won't do it again"

Responsibility turns judges on, they tend to deal with assholes all say long who always have an excuse, and have no idea what personal responsibility is. You'll be a breath of fresh air.

I've never gone to court and NOT had the fine cut substantially, and I've always told the truth.

ensteele 02-27-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomethingElse (Post 531058)
My timing was off, way off...dont get me wrong im ready to accept responsibility 4 my actions, I would like to convince him or her that I dont drive like that on a daily basis, because I dont:D I havent had a ticket in over 6-7 years I have calmed down alot!

awsome input...:cool:

For a 95 year old man, you are lucky to get off with that kind of ticket. You should have paid the fine, because the judge may find that your timing is off and you should not drive any more. :rolleyes: :o

(see DOB and age in profile)

svxistentialist 02-27-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Over a month ago I received a ticket for running a red light. I think im gonna plead guilty.It was really bad. my wife looked at me and said "What the **** were you thinking?" Im going to try and explain (make excuses) to the judge on why it happened. something like ...I normally dont drive like that, I just bought the car that night and got back into town wanted to push it a bit, show it off. My friends were waiting for me.

I would have just paid the ticket but fines in VA are wetoddid. They want $195 for running a red light. I understand its not a good idea to run a red light but damn! I get nervous when standing in front of a judge so I need to sound convincing and confident..............im screwed.:(

Like they all said Eric, don't use this line, go easy on the bull$hit, look earnest and contrite.

The line I would use is bad timing. You felt that if you braked too sharply you might lock up and skid to a halt out on the junction in the face of crossing traffic. You felt the safest thing to do was drive through.

You scared yourself and it will never happen again. You absolutely don't need to sound confident. He/she will think you are full of it. You need to sound contrite.

Best of luck

Joe

svx_commuter 02-27-2008 10:58 AM

Your honor I was traveling at a good clip and you know with what gas costs these days. Do you know if I sat at that red light it would have cost me at least 25 cents? That is an awful lot of money for gas these days. No seriously your honor I know this is a no joking situation. I would have stopped for the light but I did not see it turn yellow. I had a problem where I could not see. If I could have been using both eyes I would have seen the police officer, goodness bless him doing his job handing out tickets. Your honor please check my driving record. I have no moving voilations. I would have stopped for the light and most definently for the officer if I had seen them. as I was approaching the light I sneezed. It is not possible to see when I sneeze. My eyes closed when I sneezed and then when they were open I had no I dea how long the light had been yellowr and it was too late to stop before the stop line. You wouldn't want me to stop after the stop line now would you? I am a law abiding citizen and I ask that this incident be kept off my total unblemished driving record. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Take care of that SVX,

John

Landshark 02-27-2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Im going to try and explain (make excuses) to the judge on why it happened. something like ...I normally dont drive like that, I just bought the car that night and got back into town wanted to push it a bit, show it off.

http://theducks.org/pictures/this-wi...d-well-cat.jpg

something something you effed up, accept responsibility.