The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I bought HID's (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39492)

Ricochet 06-23-2007 02:08 AM

I bought HID's

got them from Dayle and the instructions say something about cutting a hole in my headlight housings? I didn't dig too far into the kit or instructions, I actually just took them somewhere to get them installed.. and they asked how bad I want them installed because it sounded like a huge pain in the ass. Why aren't they just plug and play? Could somebody give me some tips on the install? None of the faq's here help much.

ensteele 06-23-2007 09:58 AM

There are some plug and play HIDs out there, but that is one kit that is not. :( :( Sorry to hear that it is such a big problem. Keep us informed on the progress.

GreenMarine 06-23-2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet
got them from Dayle and the instructions say something about cutting a hole in my headlight housings? I didn't dig too far into the kit or instructions, I actually just took them somewhere to get them installed.. and they asked how bad I want them installed because it sounded like a huge pain in the ass. Why aren't they just plug and play? Could somebody give me some tips on the install? None of the faq's here help much.

Send that crap back to Dayle... I'll tell you how to build a set that work AWESOME!!! And most importantly, you don't have to cut the housings and you still can use the ADJUSTER SCREWS!!! I think until I did the swap, everyone else was having to butcher the headlight housings, well it turns out that you really don't have to do that to mount the projectors... All you need (and this is the rough list) is BWM 3-Series Projectors and ballasts (Audi TT projectors are the same)... From there you need the specs of the bracket I designed to mount them... Let me know if you are interested... I have to dig through my junk and find the specs...

Ricochet 06-23-2007 12:07 PM

Not sure what his return policy is but I bought them like 3-4 months ago.. I'd rather just figure out a way to make my $350 kit work.

subru92svx 06-23-2007 02:31 PM

I bought a set of 4300k for $200 that was all plug and play. One of the best mods I've done on my car. I showed them off at Earl's last maintence meet. These things are bright! Any pics of the set you have? I didn't even know they sold HID kits that weren't plug and play. I would try and get your money back or sell them on Ebay and save yourself a bunch of time,trouble, and your headlights. I was thinking about talking to the retailer I got mine from and trying to set up a group buy.

Crazy_pilot 06-23-2007 07:18 PM

Hmmm...Kind of odd... I'd give Dayle a shout and see what's up. The Motorsports site add says they're plug and play, 1 hour intall:

Quote:

All kits have a 1 yr warranty
Come in White
Blue-white
and Purple-white
Easy to install, in about an hour.
Plug and play
see the lite...
I'm interested in how this turns out, I'm planning on doing the HID swap sometime soon.

SubaRyu 06-24-2007 12:48 AM

I got mine from Dayle as well. It was plug and play. No cutting. I just had to make holes on the engine bay to mount the ballasts. Everything worked fine.. but I remember I had to connect the cable opposit way to make it work for SVX.
Took like one hour or more to install.

Sov13t 06-24-2007 01:02 AM

Funny to find this post... Im installing mine as we speak... well installed the left one first... right one going in tomorrow... as I ran out of daylight... really easy.

$170 for 9006 - 8000k lights, plug and play, philips ballasts, mounted my left ballast where the Automatic Transmission unit was (next to the battery) not sure what the exact terminology is..

The other one I am planning on mounting where the stock airbox was, inside the fender right underneath the headlight pretty much. Will have pictures up later.. as I am still not done... looks great though, the one that I already have running :)

You dont have to drill anything

-Sov

Ricochet 06-24-2007 02:59 AM

what the hell.. I wonder why they said it would be a pita then. I also had them install an ecutune, intake, and other things that took longer than an hour (highly reputable aftermarket subaru shop, not "bob's muffler warehouse" etc). Guess I'll just take them to one of the local install days when I get home.

ensteele 06-24-2007 12:16 PM

Or do it yourself. :o

Ricochet 06-24-2007 12:19 PM

when things break it's easier to blame other people :)

Sov13t 06-24-2007 01:49 PM

Here is where I placed the right (passenger side) ballast, which I think is a perfect spot for it...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Sov13t/44763.JPG

You are looking into where the stock air box used to be mounted, once it is gone, it has two mounting points, I use one of them, as the ballast is fairly light with a tiny bit of torque it is sitting still with only one bolt. The hard part was fitting the wire through the 1in / 1.5in hole that leads to the headlight, you might want to sort out the wires first and make sure you do not break the pins on the wires from the kit. Other than that... its perfect. The left ballast (drivers side) I mounted on the left wall of the engine compartment where the battery sits.

Ricochet 06-24-2007 02:27 PM

okay but what about the actual bulbs? I think he was saying something about having to actually drill a hole in the headlight housings..?

Sov13t 06-24-2007 02:37 PM

Negative on that one...

Check my locker for more pictures...

No drilling at all.