The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Silent Running (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3634)

Aredubjay 04-13-2002 10:12 PM

Silent Running

My day began at 4:30 this morning, after only two hours sleep.

My daughter and I headed to Louisville at 5:30 A.M.

The noise from the rear end was extermely annoying, and had been since PA. After messaging Beav a few times, we were trying to figure if it was a hub bearing or a diff bearing. I had begun to worry it was a diff bearing, since it did not change in the corners. So, I was aprehensive the whole trip.

Arrived at Beav's shop a little after 9 Local time (slightly late for my 9:00 appointment). Beav started on the car immediately. Took it for a test drive, brought it back, put it up on the rack, got his stethoscope and determined it was indeed the RR hub bearing.

After a slight delay (the parts joint sent the wrong seals and had to re-order them), Beav finished the job, road tested the car and came back with a big thumbs up.

We went to lunch (Thanks again, Beav), then, I took my daughter to a Celtic Store in Louisville (Thanks to Beav and his buds for tracking the address down) and we headed for home. The ride was quiet and smooth (thanks for the "balancing act," Beav ;) )

Now, some people would think that it would be idiotic to get up early, drive for two and a half hours, across a time zone, where you'd lose an hour, just to have a hub bearing replaced, especially when you have a dealership nearby and possibly a competent mechanic at some local shop.

Well, call me an idiot, but, the peace of mind gained from having someone you trust . . . someone you know REALLY knows the car and is an SVX owner . . . well, let's just say, it was worth every second, every mile and every penny.

Thank you again, Beav.

Green1995SVX 04-13-2002 10:19 PM

Good to hear it went good for you, randy. Tuesday begins round 2 for me.

-Mike

Beav 04-13-2002 11:26 PM

Awww....garsh. *kicks at the ground* We enjoyed having you over and appreciate your business. I'm sorry I didn't have more time to spend with you, but business is business...

I'd like to add that you're a lucky man to have such a sweet daughter, it was a pleasure meeting her also.

I hope your trip to the Celtic Centre was good (and not too expensive ;) .) Maybe the next time you're in town we can be a bit more hospitable and drag you over to 'The Irish Rover' for a bite and a bit o' grog n' mist.

Thanks again,

wasions 04-13-2002 11:36 PM

Re: Silent Running

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
My day began at 4:30 this morning, after only two hours sleep.

My daughter and I headed to Louisville at 5:30 A.M.

The noise from the rear end was extermely annoying, and had been since PA. After messaging Beav a few times, we were trying to figure if it was a hub bearing or a diff bearing. I had begun to worry it was a diff bearing, since it did not change in the corners. So, I was aprehensive the whole trip.

Arrived at Beav's shop a little after 9 Local time (slightly late for my 9:00 appointment). Beav started on the car immediately. Took it for a test drive, brought it back, put it up on the rack, got his stethoscope and determined it was indeed the RR hub bearing.

After a slight delay (the parts joint sent the wrong seals and had to re-order them), Beav finished the job, road tested the car and came back with a big thumbs up.

We went to lunch (Thanks again, Beav), then, I took my daughter to a Celtic Store in Louisville (Thanks to Beav and his buds for tracking the address down) and we headed for home. The ride was quiet and smooth (thanks for the "balancing act," Beav ;) )

Now, some people would think that it would be idiotic to get up early, drive for two and a half hours, across a time zone, where you'd lose an hour, just to have a hub bearing replaced, especially when you have a dealership nearby and possibly a competent mechanic at some local shop.

Well, call me an idiot, but, the peace of mind gained from having someone you trust . . . someone you know REALLY knows the car and is an SVX owner . . . well, let's just say, it was worth every second, every mile and every penny.

Thank you again, Beav.

After reading a lot of Beav's posts, and having the opportunity to lunch with him (and you) a while back, I have already determined that if anything serious ever does go wrong with the SVX, it's going to Louisville - post haste.

Glad to hear your good results. Confidence factor's going up. :cool:

Trevor 04-14-2002 04:46 AM

Would I too but it's a bloody long trip.

subymtnguy 04-14-2002 12:16 PM

Beav...

I have learned so much about my car, and have had so many laughs from Beavs' posts.....

Beav! You da man!

Hope to meet you at the 10th annv. meet!

Green1995SVX 04-14-2002 12:27 PM

Beav is, indeed, the man.

-Mike

Boone 04-14-2002 02:07 PM

A valuble resource...

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Beav is, indeed, the man.

-Mike

A little long, but I couldn't resist.. B. --->:D <---

Green1995SVX 04-14-2002 02:17 PM

Lol, B... You have the biggest collection of wavs...

-Mike

Boone 04-14-2002 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Lol, B... You have the biggest collection of wavs...

-Mike

What more could you ask for... multimedia, entertainment. And no 2 drink minimum. :rolleyes: :p

Aredubjay 04-14-2002 03:40 PM

Re: A valuble resource...

Quote:

Originally posted by Boone

A little long, but I couldn't resist.. B. --->:D <---

Too, too funny, Boone.

Which would bring us to our new theme of this thread:

'Leave it to Beav 'r . . . end up walking. :D:D:D

Ron Mummert 04-14-2002 10:04 PM

Hmmm... Silent Running. Triggered something in the dwindling hard drive between my ears. Anyone remember a neat little Sci-Fi movie by that title? Early '70s - Bruce Dern in space with Huey, Dewey & Louie.
Great little known flick.
Ron.

Beav 04-14-2002 10:37 PM

Gee, thanx for all of the kind words everyone. It's a good thing I'm a humble guy or I'd have to raise the shop rate another $20/hour. ;)

I gotta go find Wally now, he's been getting into a lot of trouble down at the nudie bar where mom dances...

Aredubjay 04-14-2002 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Hmmm... Silent Running. Triggered something in the dwindling hard drive between my ears. Anyone remember a neat little Sci-Fi movie by that title? Early '70s - Bruce Dern in space with Huey, Dewey & Louie.
Ron.

It was the inspiration for the title of the post. I love that movie.

dart 04-15-2002 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Ron.

I'd just dug it out of the archive for a viewing a couple weekends ago! Excellent movie.