The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hood gone in the wind (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21195)

A-Train 09-08-2004 12:37 AM

Hood gone in the wind

Well I guess I can laugh now, because about 3hrs ago I almost s**tecated on myself. I was coming home from work driving on the highway going about 65-70mph when all of the sudden my f$#?ing hood blew open and twisted up like a pop can, I was in the far left lane with a car in the front and back, also a oversize 18wheeler to my right (well it looked oversized at the time, felt my heart beat through my eye sockets) well I got out of that situation alive and breathing, thank God. I pulled over to see what went wrong an noticed that the latch connected to the hood snatched completly apart from the hood, bolts too. So I just want to say to my fellow SVXers please check latch bolts on your hoods.

Pure_Insanity8 09-08-2004 01:38 AM

Woah, scary! I've had that happen once in a van (I wasn't driving) and in the Subaru I am currently driving (happened while I wasn't driving also). It is a frightening situation. Glad to hear you made it out fine. That is odd that the hood broke loose from the bolts. Is there currently holes where the clamp used to be attatched to the hood (that bad)?:(

A-Train 09-08-2004 02:08 AM

Hood Gone In The Wind

Thanks Aaron, I"m just glad the situation happened when my wife and kids weren"t with me. And yes very scary, caught me way off gaurd, sounded like the hood came through the wind shield. The holes are still there, don"t get it hood was completely closed, never in accident and no signs of wear or true age. Latch to hood(upper) was also still attatched to the latch lock(lower). Well trying to hunt one down now. Me Aaron 2 :p

Matthewmongan 09-08-2004 03:59 AM

yeah that happened to me in the 95 legacy the latch itself broke so i tied it to the rat support with my girl friend's underpants. yes i said underpants. two birds with one stone that day. good times

Imprezzed 09-08-2004 06:05 AM

Niiiice.

Gargoyle 09-08-2004 12:14 PM

I had that happen to me in 1989 in a 1985 5.0 LX Mustang. Scared the Living life outa me . but the way the hoods on those thigs are there is a grill between the windshild & hood that took most of the Impact so I could still see through the bottom & the Windshield didnt break, but I still vividly remember that day :eek:

Chiketkd 09-08-2004 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Matthewmongan
yes i said underpants. two birds with one stone that day. good times
:D :D :D

-Chike

Subafreak 09-08-2004 08:48 PM

Did that with my 87 GL-10 sedan. The hood releas cable was broken so I took the whole thing out and wad gonna install hood pins.:rolleyes: But after I got the motor swaped I forgot about it. Took the thing down the road one way, turned around blasted down rhe road the other way and just as I was about to shift into 3rd at 80MPH I remembered the hood SLAM!!! Up over the roof breaking the sun roof and knocking off the interior light covers on to me. Amazingly it didnt break the windshield, but after that I was sporting the black "carbon fiber look" hood on a blue car way before it was cool.:cool:

thundering02 09-09-2004 02:24 AM

My Integra was designed just so with the front of the hood and the angle as long as I was in clean air it would stay forced down behind sombody elses turbulence thats onther story.

drivemusicnow 09-09-2004 10:59 PM

My dad was driving his Mercur Xr4Ti down the highway after an accident... the hood latched.. but not well enough. came up, hit the windshield square on, shattered the entire windshield, from side to side, completely cracked into those TINY pieces.. however most of it stayed in place and connected... I'm sure that wasn't a fun experience

SVX-FF 09-10-2004 05:02 AM

A-Train, glad to hear you are Ok and all is clean or cleaner.:D Great bit of driving, totally lose the hood and not crashing the car, damn fine job. This sounds like a perfect time to call Dale and get a new hood with a scoop..

http://store1.yimg.com/I/svx-motorsp..._1808_13477085

Good luck

Steve

CigarJohnny 09-11-2004 10:39 AM

That is a scary thing! I had it happen to me years ago in one of my cars. I had been charging an RC car off the car battery and forgot to latch the hood completely when I was done. Driving down a windy, narrow back road when the hood slammed up against the windshield. Did nothing to the glass but the hood hinges tore right through the sheetmetal strip where the vents were located. Hood still closed fine after that and only had a small dent in the center where it smacked the windshield. Never did get the hinge tears repaired though. ended up junking the car eventually anyway.

Johnny

JeffN 09-11-2004 03:13 PM

Had it hapen in my old Citaion x11 when lent to a "friend(fiend?)" also saw it happen this week to some econobox on the expressway-common problem.