The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Quick Question: Gas Tank Size - MPG (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51304)

Sean486 08-15-2009 05:17 AM

Quick Question: Gas Tank Size - MPG

Just wondering how many gallons the tank holds so that I can calculate my MPGs. I set the Odometer at my last fill up, but can't remember how many gallons it took to fill it.

IceBlade 08-15-2009 07:30 AM

Re: Quick Question: Gas Tank Size - MPG

It should hold 18.5 gallons according to spec.

Source

Hocrest 08-15-2009 07:35 AM

But on most SVX's I've driven, the gauge is on "E" with about 5 gallons left and the light comes on with 4 gallons left.

ensteele 08-15-2009 07:42 AM

And there aren't many members who have ever run out of gas. :lol:

dcarrb 08-15-2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 613783)
Just wondering how many gallons the tank holds so that I can calculate my MPGs. I set the Odometer at my last fill up, but can't remember how many gallons it took to fill it.

Tank capacity is irrelevant. Do this:

Fill the tank 'til it clicks off. Reset the trip odometer. Drive.

When you fill the tank again, write down the gallons consumed since your last fill-up. Divide the number of miles you've driven by the gallons used to determine your fuel mileage.

This is the only way to accurately calculate fuel economy.

dcb

Mephis 08-15-2009 08:23 AM

It would be easier to just get it to a quarter tank, fill it up (check how much you put in), and drive it till it's back to a quarter tank.

I average around 24mpg.

fieronews 08-15-2009 08:24 AM

MIne does the same it sits in E when there is 5 gallons left. Never went to the light yet:cool:

dcarrb 08-15-2009 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephis (Post 613800)
It would be easier to just get it to a quarter tank, fill it up (check how much you put in), and drive it till it's back to a quarter tank.

I average around 24mpg.

Easier perhaps, but you're only ballparkin' it.

dcb

Hocrest 08-15-2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fieronews (Post 613801)
... Never went to the light yet:cool:

Wimp :p I don't usually think about filling up until the light's been on for 20+ miles... :cool:

And Dcarb, has the easiest and most accurate method for checking mileage. If you want to make it super accurate use the same pump at the same station and don't top off.

fieronews 08-15-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 613804)
Wimp :p I don't usually think about filling up until the light's been on for 20+ miles... :cool:

And Dcarb, has the easiest and most accurate method for checking mileage. If you want to make it super accurate use the same pump at the same station and don't top off.

LOL I guess I am thats why I have a PUG :lol:

1986nate 08-15-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 613804)

Once my light comes on, I have about 50 miles left and thats with only 1st and 2nd gear left in the trans so I get about 15 mpg. I know I can go that far because I have and one of the times it was chugging right as I stopped at the pump:D

NiftySVX 08-15-2009 03:42 PM

I ran my car out of gas once, it was after had done some transmission work, and the car had been idling and i had been measuring stall speed and etc for several hours, and i had been driving it all week with the light on. I filled it with one gallon and drove to the gas station and it took another 17.3. :lol:

I also stopped to help someone passing through my hometown of Edmond, oklahoma very near my high school who had pushed their pearlie into a parking lot with no gas. I don't think they were a member here but if I remember correctly it had some body mods and they were from new york.

bheinen74 08-15-2009 04:45 PM

Tank is 18.5 gallon

gbianchi 08-15-2009 06:09 PM

I wimp out at 200 miles, but only put in 8-9 gals, then my gauge reads full but only for 20-30 miles then its back on E and stays there most of the time, sometimes it jumps to 1/4 tank at around 200, very weird gauge..............G

Sean486 08-15-2009 06:48 PM

Assuming that I had 5 gallons reserve which sounds about right, I am getting 17 miles per gallon, which also sounds right since it was all city miles. But next time I fill the tank I will use the "dcarrbian" method and recalculate it, that sounds like a much more accurate way. Thanks:)