The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is your H6 buttery smooth? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46352)

Subix 09-26-2008 07:16 PM

Is your H6 buttery smooth?

Just curious but how many here can claim their SVX to be running top-notch, as in liquid smooth with the engine humming so peacefully you can barely notice it's running? (and if so at what mileage?)

I'm not sure if it's because it's a boxer (as I have no other SVX alongside to make a comparison on) or because I most likely have some more coil packs that are losing out but I hopped back into the impreza for a spin and I just want my SVX to run that smooth at idle. (and that thing has 190k on it!) Or better, can it or should it?

Has anyone here ever replaced every single coil pack and can say for certain it made a huge difference or not? I'm about to plunk roughly $600 in much needed new tires :WTF: and I can't get the idea out of my mind in wanting to go ahead and replace the other 5 coil packs in hopes that everything will run smoother. Of course, that comes at a cost of only :rolleyes: $400 ...but given the fact that nothing looked wrong at all with the coil pack I replaced, I can only suspect the others could just be worn enough in needing replaced. It is, afterall... 168k on the same coil packs. It does have a new set of NGKs however.

Is there a general rule of thumb for life expectancy for coil packs anyways?

I'm going to go ahead and replace my gas cap, fuel filter and pcv valve to see if that makes any noticeable difference at all but I'm betting it's completely unrelated and will have no positive effect.

SVXyGirl 09-26-2008 07:24 PM

Re: Is your H6 buttery smooth?

All of my cars run smooth. One more than the others sometimes. My claret especially runs smooth. It has about 123k now. And so you know...I have replaced a single coil pack and it made a huge difference.

sicksubie 09-26-2008 07:25 PM

My ebony runs mint and idles as quiet as any new car that I have ever sat in...

Crazy_pilot 09-26-2008 07:45 PM

At idle I've sometimes forgotten my car is running. I can't hear or feel anything. I've gotten into the habit that if I sit in it for a while I take a quick look at the tach to see if it's still running or not, I tried to start it once while it was idling. Not a nice noise. On the road, not so much, but that's mainly due to my huge exhaust leak and the noisy tires I have.

Manarius 09-26-2008 07:45 PM

Mine runs smooth once the coil pack warms up :D

jeffast 09-26-2008 08:00 PM

mine doesn't run,
:(

LetItSnow 09-26-2008 09:00 PM

Mine's smooth once it starts. (What's the over/under on how many times you have to turn the key this time? My friends are such cards.)

I've zapped the flywheel at least twice. It's good, but surely not undetectable.

Nevin 09-26-2008 09:24 PM

Mine runs pretty darn smooth. Idle is ROCK solid since I switched over to iridium plugs, and I get just a hair over 30 mpg on the highway.

I have just a bit over 120k, and I have no idea if any of the coils have been replaced. I'm curious though about replacing my coils with some aftermarket ones, like the plasma direct coils that some of the other guys run. I figured one for a WRX would work, but maybe I'm wrong?! Is there an aftermarket coil that works with our cars?

If anything, it can't be too hard. Maybe get a clip off another coil harness to make everything work?

RojoRocket 09-26-2008 09:53 PM

Nevin,
AFAIK the Impreza and Legacy do not use the coil on plug design the SVX does. They use a single coil pack and spark-plug wires.
I had the good fortune :rolleyes: to replace all 6 on my '93 and it made a huge difference. Examining the old ones I found that the wiring insulation at the pack was broken down, and apparently the cause of some spark leakage.
OH! The engine in my new '97 runs smooth as butter!!

Glenn

Nevin 09-26-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RojoRocket (Post 565770)
Nevin,
AFAIK the Impreza and Legacy do not use the coil on plug design the SVX does. They use a single coil pack and spark-plug wires.
I had the good fortune :rolleyes: to replace all 6 on my '93 and it made a huge difference. Examining the old ones I found that the wiring insulation at the pack was broken down, and apparently the cause of some spark leakage.
OH! The engine in my new '97 runs smooth as butter!!

Glenn

Glenn, I was recently on the plasma direct website, and they had a listing for WRX and STI, if I recall correctly. it's actually a few other listings...

Let me go look it up quick and see what I find. *pause* That's what led me to believe that ours were in some way compatable with theirs.

http://www.okadaprojects.com/usa/products_direct.htm

OK... *moments later* The very first one they have listed is for Subaru, so I'm just curious if the one listed is simliar enough to ours to run it.

They have it listed for Impreza, Legacy, Forester, and Outback. Are those different than our coils?

RojoRocket 09-26-2008 10:11 PM

The coil-pack on my Legacy sits atop the motor with simple plug wires running from there to the plugs. Each half of the coil provides spark to 2 cylinders. I don't believe they have changed the design since my '98 EJ25 was built. Wouldn't be the 1st time I was wrong though! Anyone?

Glenn

odepaj 09-26-2008 11:48 PM

My ebony runs extremely smooth. I often think it has stalled on me :lol:

The rest of the car is in "ok" shape, but that engine purrs.

And boy-o-boy does it pull hard:D

The '95 has alittle hick-up and a few vibrations. :(

Dustin

SVX92-97 09-27-2008 12:34 AM

My 96 Polo idles smooth as silk, once I get it started. Svxfiles did head gaskets and machined heads last month. :D Ignition switch is loose and doesnt start properly. Hope to fix tomorrow.

LetItSnow 09-27-2008 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevin (Post 565773)
I was recently on the plasma direct website, and they had a listing for WRX and STI, if I recall correctly.

Subaru did sell a good share of 2.2L and 2.5L engines with the twin coilpack on top, but it's not exclusive anymore. With the advent of the WRX, I don't know whether they did a partial and/or complete change to coil-over-plug, but you will find that on the WRX at the very least.

EDIT: According to the application guide listed above, coil-over-plug is found on the turbo engines and the EZ30. OK... now what? :)

SSSVX 09-27-2008 05:34 AM

my teal one idles/runs/accelerates very smooth. she still has 3.54 gears in there. my friend who drives a civic when he listens to my teal svx warming up in the winter....he said: "wow, that noise is smooth :cool:"

but this is what was happened - :(

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45935

my yellow one has double the mileages of the other one. i do feel the difference. it's still okay but i can feel it sounds a bit loose compared to the other one.:)