The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Calling all Koni/GC users... (or anyone with Koni Yellows "smarts") (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39336)

GreenMarine 06-12-2007 11:22 AM

Calling all Koni/GC users... (or anyone with Koni Yellows "smarts")

Hey guys, I know it's been a while since I've posted on here... What can I say, I work full time and go to school... My summer is sucking somewhat... :rolleyes:

Anyway, lets kick this off since this is the "Technical Q&A" Forum...

My suspension...

Koni Yellow Strut inserts (set on full firm)
Ebiach Springs (380lb/in F and 325lb/in R)

The problem...

I recently replaced my front struts because the passenger side one was leaking fluid at the adjuster "nipple" (at the top of the strut)... No biggie, Koni sent me new ones and I sent back the old ones... HOWEVER, 2 weeks after having the new ones installed I noticed that BOTH of the struts were leaking from the same place (adjuster "nipple")... This absolutly baffles me and to be honest, I am really getting sick of it...

What I need to know...

1.) Is there anyone else out there that has experienced the same thing? or am I all alone with this problem?

2.) Is there something wrong with turning the Koni yellows on "full stiff" ?

3.) What EXACTLY are the recommended spring rates for those struts?

4.) Could old top hats cause failure of the struts?

5.) Anything I missed?

Thanks very much in advance guys... I need to get this mess worked out quick... I have done nothing but work, go to school, pay bills and get the SVX worked on this summer... It gets to be quite a drag after a while so any help sorting this mess out would be great... Thanks :)

RojoRocket 06-12-2007 03:41 PM

Had the same leakage/weepage from the strut tops since about 6mos after install. Was waiting to retire so car could be down for a bit. Guess it's time to pursue this.
1) YES, both sides front. No easy access to rear so no idea if same prob there.
2) Mine are only mid range, so I doubt that is an issue.
3) Mine are OEM.
4) Doubt it, but mine are from the original, and not updated years.
5) Yep. Any problems with rears leaking?

and......thanks for asking. ;)

Glenn

TomsSVX 06-12-2007 04:19 PM

yes mine leak too, everyone's do... Has to be something wrong with the inserts themselves. They leak w/ oem springs and g/c alike... I have 450fronts and they leak as well

Tom

GreenMarine 06-13-2007 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
yes mine leak too, everyone's do... Has to be something wrong with the inserts themselves. They leak w/ oem springs and g/c alike... I have 450fronts and they leak as well

Tom

Hmmm, just seems really strange that brand new struts would start leaking... But since all of ours do it, what could we draw from this knowledge??

RojoRocket 06-13-2007 09:02 AM

I'm wondering if they just had a defective batch or run of the struts. I'm also not entirely happy with Koni's replacement policy, requiring you to pay half retail price for the new units, to be credited by Koni "IF" they deem it a warranty-able issue after inspection. Guess I'll be going through it though. :rolleyes:
No known issues with the rears? No fun opening it up to find out. ;)

Key Learning:................. 'it happens.

Glenn

Earthworm 06-13-2007 08:56 PM

Only one of my fronts leak.

ensteele 06-13-2007 09:56 PM

Neither of mine leak, but mine were purchased about 4 years ago. :)

GreenMarine 06-15-2007 09:14 AM

That's it... I'm calling Koni and making sure that they know that almost all of our struts are leaking...

GreenMarine 06-15-2007 09:45 AM

Alright... Here's what I got from Koni Technical...

They believe that if you run your ride height too low (mine is all the way down) and subject the suspension to hard blows (ie. pot holes, speed bumps or even cornering with sticky tires on) then you can damage the seal that is at the top of the strut... Tech recommended that I raise the ride height by about .5", send the struts I have now in for warranty replacement ( again :rolleyes: ) and see if anything changes... Also I was instructed to drive the car everyday with the adjustment either on full soft or 1/2 way between soft and hard... Continous use at or near full stiff will cause the strut to wear out faster...

All in all not a bad conversation I had... When I told him that a good portion of the other SVX owners are complaining of the same problem he said for us to check our ride height and raise it alittle... Unfortunantly after the strut starts leaking, it is pretty much toast... Mine have been leaking for about a month now, but the handeling is still about the same... After they loose enough oil though the handeling will start to go downhill... My old struts leaked for about a year before I had them replaced (and that is with about 10,000 miles and atleast 5 Autocrosses on them)...

Hope this helped out!!

Koni FTW!! :D

RojoRocket 06-15-2007 10:24 AM

Thanks for the info. Guess it's time to move on this. No ride height issues here! Disappointing to have a "lifetime" product fail so soon under what I could only describe as "gentle" use. :(

Glenn

Hocrest 06-15-2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
Alright... Here's what I got from Koni Technical...

When you use our products in the manner for which they were designed, they will fail. We will replace them, but you still need to pay for the labor or take the time out of your busy schedule to swap our crappy product that can't handle what we advertise.

Hope this helped out!!

Koni FTL!! :mad:

:rolleyes: Fixed your post...

TomsSVX 06-15-2007 10:50 AM

I am actually above normal height due to my exhaust clearances... I am a turn off full soft for driving it on the street... still leaking:rolleyes: oh well I guess when they take a crap I will send them back

Tom

Tim 06-15-2007 11:28 AM

Does this mean you have to pull out the insert cartridge and reinstall back in the stock strut housing when you get it back?

TomsSVX 06-15-2007 11:30 AM

yeah, just pull the insert and install the new one... simple and you don't even need to take it out of the car

Tom

GreenMarine 06-18-2007 06:53 AM

Alright, I brought my rideheight up about .5" and OMG!!! It feels SOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!! I'm even thinking about bringing it up another .5" because it really doesn't look bad at all... Still alot lower than stock... Anyway, there's a tip for all of you that have the spring perches all the way down like I did :D