The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Engine quits - ?! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11982)

kpcusa 07-14-2003 08:42 PM

Engine quits - ?!

I recenty had the timing belt replaced on my SVX. Ever since, the engine quits on me - mostly when accelerating to 50 mph or coming to a stop. It does start right back up but may stall out again.

I called the dealership and they said to see if it continues and, if so, to bring it back for them to look at further.

Before I do so, I want to make sure I know the possible issues I may be facing. As these are low production units and it's likely the mechanics could be first-timers on the SVXs (I don't want to pay for their education). Any input or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I have also replaced the fuel pump recently.

The car always gets premium fuel and is not driven hard.

Thanks for your help.

SVX10 07-15-2003 05:05 AM

My car kept dying when my MAF went bad. Mine died when I'd stop, but for all I know it could cause it to die when accelerating. It would usually start right back up, then die a couple minutes later. Doesn't sound like a great match, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Clydesvx 07-15-2003 10:50 AM

If you just had the Timing belt replaced they probably changed your spark plugs and air filter. I'd check the connection on the MAF sensor. They may NOT have tightened the connection. It is the plug on top of the air cleaner housing. Just a possible thought. The problem sounds like a faulty MAF.

Aredubjay 07-15-2003 01:42 PM

Possibly an MAF Sensor, possibly a vacuum leak. Check to make sure they replaced all the hoses connected to the intake bits. Also check for cracks in the MAF sensor housing and the plastic intake pieces.

kpcusa 07-16-2003 10:16 PM

Follow up

I took it to the dealer today - no stored codes and the darn car didn't stall during two test drives (of course!).

Clydesvx 07-17-2003 05:38 AM

My dealer (Heritage Subaru) told me that the only way they can 'SEE' the MAF sensor problem is if occurs while they have it attached to the computer. I'd WD40 the MAF connector and see if the problem goes away. Check the PARTS folks that were mentioned in other posts for the best price on a MAF sensor. You can also check your local junk yards. Someone once wrote that an IMPREZA MAF sensor will work. The MAF sensors are easy to install. If the Impreza sensor is a match they will probably be easier to find.
I got mine from Subaruparts.com in Washington State and saved over $100 over the Heritage price.

gl1674 07-18-2003 05:37 PM

I've cut mine open and soldered the connector back to the PCB.
The stalling problems went away. There were no ECU codes either.
Apparently the connector tends to break off whenever it is disturbed (spark plugs replacement requires disconnecting).
The top lid of the MAF sensor is sealed with a rubbery sealant - if you cut through it, you can take the lead off.

kpcusa 09-03-2003 01:24 PM

MAF fixed it!

Thanks for your input - it turned out to be the air flow meter (MAF sensor). I was able to locate a used unit for $45 (plus $10 S&H). Installing it took all of 10 minutes.

Now it runs like a real champ.

Thanks again.

Ken